Krdshrk

Saiga Conversion Planning

So I've been plotting this for a little bit - wanted to get some additional thoughts on my planned conversion.

So far - it's a stock Saiga 7.62

Conversion Parts:

CSS Trigger Group - Tapco G2 Modified FCG - $50

CSS Billet Trigger Guard - $40

CSS 7.62x39 Round Trunnion Bullet Guide - $19

Tapco Gas Piston - $15

Magpul AK47 Grip - $20

CSS Trigger Hole Plugs - $1 

KVAR Warsaw Length Stock - $60

Subtotal is $205 - 10% CSS discount + $7.95 shipping - comes to about $193.

Thoughts on the parts I have listed?  Anyone know of any better/cheaper parts?

Yes, I will be using US made mags (MidwestPX Magpul 15/30 AK Pmags).

Also options:

Adding on a Gas Tube to change the handguards later on - $40

If changing the handguards, I'll need the Retaining Bracket ($40)...

Alternate stock option - use a AR style tube - $70 (will need to add another stock as well for more $$$...

Looks like you have everything listed. I did a lot of research and was ready to pull the trigger then an already converted Saiga came up on a trade and had to jump on it. I regretted not doing the conversion myself. Are you doing it or sending it to a gunsmith to do? Also, why the different piston? ohh, and get a couple more of the plugs in case you lose/break some.

Nothing wrong with it - but I feel like it may be a good thing to have an "extra" part for 922r compliance.  However if it's absolutely not needed, then away it goes and I save $15.

I actually used the SAME EXACT: stock, FCG, and trigger guard when I built my Saiga.  I used a Hogue grip, I don't think Magpul made AK grips back then, still counted as a U.S. part though.  Using those parts, I was still compliant.  I don't think the piston is necessary.  I did swap out the handguard, although I don't remember the brand, and I don't know if that counted as one of the compliant parts.

By the way, nice choices.  I very much enjoyed that FCG, trigger guard, and stock.  I remember I had a small issue fitting the grip to that trigger guard, hopefully Magpul did a better job than Hogue did.

You don't have to change the piston especially if you are planning on using US mags and US furniture.

Here is a cool link for 922r saiga stuff. http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Also, If you are using Kvar stock, check out the bargain bin. I got my grip stock and hand guards all from there at like 50% off. You can save a good amount of money and put that towards a gas tube and lower hand guard retainer.

EDIT: If you happen to move to a free state and want to use surplus mags, if 922r is a concern, you can buy US made followers for like 3 bux from midway and it counts as a US Part..

I think that having a Saiga that is not reliant on using a mag with US made parts is worth something, so I think that the Tapco piston is good to have.

it's totally doable using all surplus mags if you use US furniture.

Also, If you are using Kvar stock, check out the bargain bin. I got my grip stock and hand guards all from there at like 50% off. You can save a good amount of money and put that towards a gas tube and lower hand guard retainer.

EDIT: If you happen to move to a free state and want to use surplus mags, if 922r is a concern, you can buy US made followers for like 3 bux from midway and it counts as a US Part..

Bargain Bin?  From what website?

I had a blast doing mine

Wanna help with mine?  :)

I actually used the SAME EXACT: stock, FCG, and trigger guard when I built my Saiga.  I used a Hogue grip, I don't think Magpul made AK grips back then, still counted as a U.S. part though.  Using those parts, I was still compliant.  I don't think the piston is necessary.  I did swap out the handguard, although I don't remember the brand, and I don't know if that counted as one of the compliant parts.

By the way, nice choices.  I very much enjoyed that FCG, trigger guard, and stock.  I remember I had a small issue fitting the grip to that trigger guard, hopefully Magpul did a better job than Hogue did.

Yeah I could go Hogue but I figure - I like Magpul - why not try their AK stuff?

Yes, the Handguard counts - I may try to find a good handguard in the future, but I'll also need the lower retaining bracket and gas tube... Lower retaining bracket is OOS @ CSS right now.  Haven't seen any good handguards either that I like - they all look too tacticool IMO.

I have 2 options - either go full retard operator and change it to an AR style stock and tacticool furniture with rails/etc...  Or I go classic wood AK style.  I've been leaning towards the wood furniture, but there's nothing in stock anywhere right now.

Here is the bargain section link.. http://www.k-var.com/shop/Bargain-Section/ there isn't a ton there but they do have the warsaw length black stock. its like 50% off.

I got my handguards, and stock there. It' saved a lot of money. Just watch the shipping charges..

Here is the bargain section link.. http://www.k-var.com/shop/Bargain-Section/ there isn't a ton there but they do have the warsaw length black stock. its like 50% off.

I got my handguards, and stock there. It' saved a lot of money. Just watch the shipping charges..

Oh so tempting..    Now I see a Plum stock.. kinda want that.... but the handguards aren't in stock... urg...

Have you checked Carolina shooters supply conversion kits? They have full conversion kits for great prices. I finally ordered my kit to do a conversion.

Yes - Actually all of that is in the conversion kit - I just broke it out into the individual parts.  It's the same price as the individual parts.

Just out of curiosity I watched a few Youtube videos on the conversion.

My question is why do it and not just buy an AK variant?

Just asking...

because saiga is from russia... and that makes it cool.. additionally you are putting together the gun exactly how you want it from the ground up..

because saiga is from russia... and that makes it cool.. additionally you are putting together the gun exactly how you want it from the ground up..

Agreed Russia is cool!

And I get the fun factor.

But that's it?

Yep Vlad...I've been known to pick up a glass of "Russian Standard"

Bargain Bin?  From what website?

Wanna help with mine?   :)

Yeah I could go Hogue but I figure - I like Magpul - why not try their AK stuff?

Yes, the Handguard counts - I may try to find a good handguard in the future, but I'll also need the lower retaining bracket and gas tube... Lower retaining bracket is OOS @ CSS right now.  Haven't seen any good handguards either that I like - they all look too tacticool IMO.

I have 2 options - either go full retard operator and change it to an AR style stock and tacticool furniture with rails/etc...  Or I go classic wood AK style.  I've been leaning towards the wood furniture, but there's nothing in stock anywhere right now.

The actual conversion is VERY easy.  I did my AR lower build, and a Saiga conversion, and I think they are very comparable in terms of skill needed.  The hardest part is filing/grinding/dremeling the rivets flat.  Make sure you take your time and paint the receiver properly, and let it dry.  Don't get impatient, trust me, I made that mistake.  If you decide not to go classic wood style, Kvar makes a plastic stock that isn't too tacticool looking.

I thought the hardest part was drilling and tapping the turnion for the bullet guide. The trunion is very hard and if you work too fast an/or don't clean the shavings as you go along, it becomes very easy to snap a bit off in your trunion. That would not be fun to repair. Otherwise, the conversion is pretty simple.

I know this is about the S762 but if you plan on ever plan on doing a Saiga 223 with the Definitive Arms mag upgrade the Tapco piston is a NO go, it will not work with their system. I had one done last year by DA and they said while test firing they found that the "timing was off and the rifle was short stoking” so the problem was directly related  to the Tapco piston. They said to prove the point they swapped out my bolt carrier with a stock bolt carrier and it performed flawlessly. DA strongly suggested I reinstall the original piston which I did upon its return and I never had any issues. It was an easy enough fix and looking back the Tapco piston was not needed for my 922r numbers, the piston was simply not worth the trouble but YMMV

I thought the hardest part was drilling and tapping the turnion for the bullet guide. The trunion is very hard and if you work too fast an/or don't clean the shavings as you go along, it becomes very easy to snap a bit off in your trunion. That would not be fun to repair. Otherwise, the conversion is pretty simple.

That's the part that makes me the most nervous. Can a bullet guide be welded in? Not to hijack