Krdshrk

Saiga Conversion Planning

I really wish that DA would sell the kit separately for us DIYers rather than having people send their rifle to them. what was your turn around time if you mind me asking?

For me it somewhere in the neighborhood of was 16 weeks which was the high-end of their ETA but as you know times vary based on their work load so best to check with them. I highly doubt DA will ever have a self-install kit but if that’s what you want you could always do Bastard which their competitor. I have the Bastard as well and no complaints.  I don’t want to hijack the thread but the point I was trying to make is some mods don’t play nice with other mods. I’m sure the OP could install the Tapco piston on his new S762 and it will be more forgiving than it was on my S223 but if other mods are in play anything is possible.  It was a while ago when I ran into the piston issue and unfortunately I don’t remember the numbers but I did measure the length and weigh of the Tapco vs the factory piston. The specs were very close but there were minor differences in weigh & length which were clearly just enough to throw off the timing in my case.   I also have the S762 and after seeing what happened to my S223 I wouldn’t even think about trying exchanging the piston.

Drilling and tapping it was actually pretty easy and I've never done it before. Don't tap it with a drill, do it by hand using a proper tap wrench and go slow. Lots of oil, back out after every couple of turns and brush out the shavings. A little blue Loctite on the threads of the screw and done.

Just out of curiosity I watched a few Youtube videos on the conversion.

My question is why do it and not just buy an AK variant?

Just asking...

Not a fan of a lot of the variants.  Saw the Centurion 39's... eh.  WASR-10 or N-PAP?  eh...  This way I can do it how I want.  Full tacticool or classic wood.

I thought the hardest part was drilling and tapping the turnion for the bullet guide. The trunion is very hard and if you work too fast an/or don't clean the shavings as you go along, it becomes very easy to snap a bit off in your trunion. That would not be fun to repair. Otherwise, the conversion is pretty simple.

This is what I'm worried about the most.

One thing I like is the AR15 grip adapter so you can use any of the millions of AR pistol grips rather than a few specific AK replacements.

Eh.. I'm ok with the Magpul AK grip.  If they made it so an AR Handguard would fit, then I would go full retard and get all magpul pink furniture for it :)

Bringing this back from the dead.  Carolina Shooters Supply had stuff in stock and a 12% off code so I ordered their Conversion Kit #2, US-Made Gas Tube (I have a tapco Gas Piston already), and the bullet guide w/ drill & tap kit.

Conversion Kit includes

Modified Tapco G2 FCG with Retaining Plate
Rounded Trigger Guard
6 - Hole Plugs
1 - Grip nut

I've decided I'm going with all Magpul furniture - the Zhukov handguards in Plum, Grip in Plum and MOE stock in Plum...  Just got to wait for the MOE stock to come out in Plum...

Magpul Furniture is ordered.  Had to get the plum AK grip from Magpul Direct.  Brownells has the Zhukov handguard in stock in Plum.  MOE Plum stock is on Pre-Order so I was able to order it.

CSS Kit came... Now I just noticed the trigger guards are different on their Kit #1 and Kit #2... I got the Kit #2 which has the trigger guard without the screw for the PG... Should I have gotten Kit #1?  Or does it not matter?

Kit 1/2 are the first 2:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/1864.htm

I want to say yes because if not, how will you mount the PG? I'm not sure in what scenario you would use the trigger guard on kit #1 unless you're using a stock that already comes with the PG attached...

Magpul Furniture is ordered. Had to get the plum AK grip from Magpul Direct. Brownells has the Zhukov handguard in stock in Plum. MOE Plum stock is on Pre-Order so I was able to order it.

CSS Kit came... Now I just noticed the trigger guards are different on their Kit #1 and Kit #2... I got the Kit #2 which has the trigger guard without the screw for the PG... Should I have gotten Kit #1? Or does it not matter?

Kit 1/2 are the first 2:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/1864.htm

Kit 1 is a billet trigger guard..but it looks like kit 2 has the nut that goes in the receiver for the pg...you just need the long screw for it.

Ah ok good - The Magpul Grip should come with the long screw anyway.

The Magpul grip comes with a screw that works with the grip nut. Once you do the bullet guide be prepared to fit the magazine catch. You're most likely going to have to trim it down to work with standard AK mags. You can modify your Saiga mags by filing down the front lip to fit under the bullet guide if you don't want to tackle the mag catch. If you do decide to fit it, please do it right and drill out the mag catch rivet, remove the spring, and file the mag catch off of the rifle. Use a screw in place of the rivet to test the mag catch. You can even reattach it with a screw and nut until you can rivet it back in. It will look much better than a chewed up mag well due to the slip of a dremel tool.

Thanks for that info.

This is looking more and more like a big project lol.  Everything's been ordered - just need the stock to come in!

I may need to pick up some tools and a vice, etc.... unless someone wants to help me out.... Wifey and kiddo will be out of town in early August - hopefully everything's together by then :D

Thanks for that info.

This is looking more and more like a big project lol.  Everything's been ordered - just need the stock to come in!

I may need to pick up some tools and a vice, etc.... unless someone wants to help me out.... Wifey and kiddo will be out of town in early August - hopefully everything's together by then :D

I just completed mine! I don't consider it work, it was really lots of fun!!! The whole job including the wood furniture only took a few hours and even though I have one, I did not use a vice.

Most of the work was done in my lap or on by desk so I could watch every process step by step on You Tube!