gleninjersey

Newish Microwave Went Up In Flames

Just venting. Replaced our old (7yr old) microwave little over a year ago when it died. Was nuking some popcorn last nignt when all of the sudden it starts arcing, sparking & flaming from one of the shelf holder corners.

Wife is going to see when we purchased it as it has a limited 1 year warranty. With our luck it is going to be 13 months ago. We purchased it from Uneeda Appliance in Raritan. We have purchased almost all our applainces from them for over a decade and spent several thousands of dollars there. Hoping they will be able to replace it or at least give us a credit towards a new one.

Never had an appliance/larger purchase die so quickly. We don't even use the microwave that much. Mostly for popcorn, warm up leftovers and cook vegetables in the steamer bags.

I use my Amex blue card for any purchase like this. Amex provide double or an extra 12 months on the manufacturer warrenty, whichever is the shorter. I have had a computer monitor and a camera go bad just after the original warrenty ran out and Amex refunded the purchase price immediately.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Just venting. Replaced our old (7yr old) microwave little over a year ago when it died. Was nuking some popcorn last nignt when all of the sudden it starts arcing, sparking & flaming from one of the shelf holder corners.

I suggest calling the manufacturer if Uneeda doesn't do anything...  

It's a GE. I'll check out the video on the wave guide cove once I get home. On train now with an older 3G phone. $25 a month for 300 minutes & unlimited text & interenet. My guns and my inexpensive Vigin Mobile phome......2 things they will needto pry out of my cold, dead hands!

I'll try to post a pic later. It pretty well burnt the hook/tray support.

I use my Amex blue card for any purchase like this. Amex provide double or an extra 12 months on the manufacturer warrenty, whichever is the shorter. I have had a computer monitor and a camera go bad just after the original warrenty ran out and Amex refunded the purchase price immediately.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much this. This is why I carry my amex and use it for everything. The points and other perks aren't too shabby either. 

Wife is going to see when we purchased it as it has a limited 1 year warranty. With our luck it is going to be 13 months ago. We purchased it from Uneeda Appliance in Raritan. We have purchased almost all our applainces from them for over a decade and spent several thousands of dollars there. Hoping they will be able to replace it or at least give us a credit towards a new one.

Never had an appliance/larger purchase die so quickly. We don't even use the microwave that much. Mostly for popcorn, warm up leftovers and cook vegetables in the steamer bags.

my microwave does the exact same thing anytime I heat popcorn or anything dry. I figured out if you put a small finger bowl of water in the microwave with the dry goods it doesn't arc a lightning storm, take the water out and it looks like 4th of July in there. Weirdest thing. Mine is a piece of junk $89.99 MagicCheff. It's only about 2years old. But I guess I got what I paid for.

Doesn't the center of popcorn have water molecules in it I thought it popped from the ste trapped inside exploding the kernel

I believe so. But that moisture gets trapped inside the popping bag until you open it and the steam escapes.

InPlainSight - I watched the video last night. The sparks aren't coming from the wave cover. A little to the right & below it. Where the shelve rest is.

I even took the shelf out and ran the microwave and it was still sparking. I was hoping it would be that but doesn't appear to be the case.

Doesn't the center of popcorn have water molecules in it I thought it popped from the ste trapped inside exploding the kernel

It does, but only a tiny litte bit.

First micro I had I think they actually recommended you put a glass of water in it with whatever you were cooking. Granted this was a mightly long tie ago.

So the repair person came out earlier this week. 

If all else fails I can get you a great deal at Lowe's on another one. I have a bunch of display units and non stock to get rid of.

Do you have any of the GE Slate above the range style that you need  to move?  Model number is JVM6175EF1ES.  I may take you up on the offer.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/inventory_details.jsp?cid=8059&pid=118485&mode=buyUsedOnly&to=cart&pn=1&ps=10&disp=sel&ffmChannelDelModeInApp=SFS&deals=No&itemSelectionType=Reconditioned%20/%20Refurbished&adcell=InvenTabReconditioned&zip=08812

Long story short, repairman came out, said it would be replaced.  Next day we received a phone call saying GE wanted to give us the "opportunity" to purchase a new one at a "discounted" price.  The "discounted" price was about $20 less than we purchased it for. 

When my wife called she explained what happened.  I had left the tray in while microwaving a bag of popcorn when the arcing occurred.  I had just woke up after I feel asleep for a bit.  My 8 yr old wanted me to lay down with her to help her go to sleep b/c she had a bad dream the night before.  I conked out for about an hour.  I woke up and had a craving for some popcorn.  Still half asleep, I put the bag in and hit start.  I didn't even notice the tray was there.  Short time after the bag started expanding the tray must have been pushed up and the arcing occurred.

Neither my wife or I knew this would void the warranty.  We have purchased several GE appliances over the years for our homes and our two rental properties.  Many of those have been GE appliances.  I'm a little disappointed this is the way GE choices to treat any customer, especially a long time customer.  I'll be writing them an email this evening explaining my disappointment and giving them the opportunity to retain a long time client. 

My parents recently had a similar problem - new house, all-new appliances (it was one of the builder's model homes) and the microwave burned-up a few months after they moved in.

Here's our response to their proposed opportunity to purchase a new microwave at their "discounted" price:

Thank you for your prompt response.  We are more than slightly disappointed in GE's "discounted" offer.  As previously mentioned we have purchased many GE appliances for our personal homes and the 2 rental properties that we own.  Our last purchase was the microwave in question and a matching slate dishwasher.  We have Hotpoint stoves in each of our rental units, GE countertop microwaves and use Reveal light bulbs.

My husband's father worked for GE for over 20 years.  He grew up with GE everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING.  Dishwashers, washer/dryers, ovens, boom boxes & walkmans (don't know if  you are old enough to remember those), light bulbs, cordless phones, televisions, etc, etc.  When one of his relatives needed a new appliance they all called his father to purchase one from GE because of two things.  The first was his father's employee discount and the second was GE's sterling reputation.

Similar to ourselves, many of his relatives have continued to trust and purchase GE products during their lives.  We realize that GE has recently exited the consumer products area selling the division to Electrolux.  However, we would like to believe that GE and Electrolux stand behind their products and their loyal customers.

If this is indeed the best that can be done then we will have no other choice but to reconsider which company's products we look at when making future appliance purchases.  My husband has already voiced his concern about the problem and the poor proposed solution on Facebook.  We hope that a better solution can be found and we can soon update all our friends, family and co-workers that GE and Electrolux stand behind their products and support their loyal customers on the rare occasion when a problem with one of their product occurs.

Here's our response to their proposed opportunity to purchase a new microwave at their "discounted" price:

Thank you for your prompt response.  We are more than slightly disappointed in GE's "discounted" offer.  As previously mentioned we have purchased many GE appliances for our personal homes and the 2 rental properties that we own.  Our last purchase was the microwave in question and a matching slate dishwasher.  We have Hotpoint stoves in each of our rental units, GE countertop microwaves and use Reveal light bulbs.

My husband's father worked for GE for over 20 years.  He grew up with GE everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING.  Dishwashers, washer/dryers, ovens, boom boxes & walkmans (don't know if  you are old enough to remember those), light bulbs, cordless phones, televisions, etc, etc.  When one of his relatives needed a new appliance they all called his father to purchase one from GE because of two things.  The first was his father's employee discount and the second was GE's sterling reputation.

Similar to ourselves, many of his relatives have continued to trust and purchase GE products during their lives.  We realize that GE has recently exited the consumer products area selling the division to Electrolux.  However, we would like to believe that GE and Electrolux stand behind their products and their loyal customers.

If this is indeed the best that can be done then we will have no other choice but to reconsider which company's products we look at when making future appliance purchases.  My husband has already voiced his concern about the problem and the poor proposed solution on Facebook.  We hope that a better solution can be found and we can soon update all our friends, family and co-workers that GE and Electrolux stand behind their products and support their loyal customers on the rare occasion when a problem with one of their product occurs.

Nice response, please keep us posted.