Krdshrk

Gun Buyback "Meetup"?

Anyone interested in hitting up a gun buyback with a big stack of CoEs?

http://www.nj.com/suburbannews/index.ssf/2014/10/union_county_announces_countyw.html

Saturday, Oct 25th from 9AM to 5PM

Linden Location:

Morning Star Community Christian Center

1009 Chandler Ave

Linden, NJ 07036

Plainfield Location:

Visions of God Family Church

350 Leland Ave (@ corner of North Ave)

I'm probably going to go to the Linden location.

I'm thinking we should be able to spot the ones that have the potential for being "bad" guns based on the person trying to sell it. if the seller looks like a member of G Unit, then it might be hot. if the seller looks like grandma, then probably not. now if the seller is dressed like a banker... RUN!!! HE JUST SHOT HIS WIFE AND KIDS IN THE HAMPTONS!!! :D

If I may make one observation so you guys are aware:

Be very careful because a number of stolen guns show up at the buy backs,

and also may people do not want to give you their information, asking for a 

photo of their drivers lic. is not always well received.

But Good Luck, let us know what you guys find...............

Awesome idea. Of course youll have opposition from the local administration. I guess how do you handle that. By having a printed copy of nj gun laws ? But what about being on private proprty. Or obstructing justice problem. What do you think youll run into ?

If anyone is seriously considering going and attempting to purchase I have an idea. Why not offer the owner to meet them at a later date at a neutral location to complete the sale. Offer them more than the buyback is offering to make it worth it for them. This way you don't have to worry about getting arrested while at/near the buyback location.

I would suggest being near the buyback area in a location you are legally allowed to be. You could hold up signs saying, "I'm interested in buying your gun & may give you MORE money than police. Let's talk."

No law against talking to people. Who knows, maybe there is someone with a nice gun that doesn't want it for whatever reason. You may find a real gem and help the person out by paying them more than what they otherwise would have received.

Prob 95% of the guns turned in are junk but I would be willing to bet that some real hidden gems get turned in. Good luck!

I know someone who tried this a few years back. The police watched him from afar, let him purchase a rifle and then chased him off saying he was now officially transporting a firearm and needed to go right home and drop it off. They welcomed him to come back each time though. They made it a hassle as through minor questioning, discovered he lived in Bergen County. This was somewhere in South Jersey by the Atlantic City Expressway.

I know someone who tried this a few years back. The police watched him from afar, let him purchase a rifle and then chased him off saying he was now officially transporting a firearm and needed to go right home and drop it off. They welcomed him to come back each time though. They made it a hassle as through minor questioning, discovered he lived in Bergen County. This was somewhere in South Jersey by the Atlantic City Expressway.

Possession if an FPID, necessary to buy the rifle in the first place, means you don't have to run directly home.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Possession if an FPID, necessary to buy the rifle in the first place, means you don't have to run directly home.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Amazing, it takes a Legal Alien to give the right answer :)

The truth is, legalities aside, you're playing his game, on his turf, by his rules.

The County Prosecutor has already given him his marching orders, which are, essentially, "Make sure I look good on tv".

You're not going to get a "win" here.

I like the idea in theory, but it seems like a complete waste of time to me.

From all the pictures I have ever seen, 99% of what shows up to be sold is utter garbage you wouldn't want for free. For the few guns that are actually worth owning, you will generally be dealing with someone who knows zero about guns. If they did, they wouldn't be selling it to the state for peanuts. Try walking up to that person, a total stranger and offering to buy it legally on the spot. How many of these people would be willing to trust you that the deal is legal? More likely they will actually report you to the first authority figure that walks by.

Also, the seller may very likely be an anti. They WANT to see the gun destroyed, not sell it to you. Again, they can be expected to try to turn you in for your perfectly legal offer.

So let's say you find te unicorn. A desirable gun in good condition with an owner who is willing to sell it to you. Now you run the considerable risk that the gun is stolen or was used in a crime. If you think you can tell by looking at someone, you are out of your mind.

Can't forget the very real possibility that the agents ofthe state will harass you or worse. Anyone who thinks that because it's legal means the state will leave you alone...refer to my last statement in the paragraph above.

All that said, I wish anyone attempting this the best of luck. Let us know how you do.

Another potential issue is that purchasing any firearm legally requires ID from both the buyer and seller - that throws the anonymous part of the buyback out the window.  I know a couple people that used a buyback specifically because they didn't want to show any ID.  No amount of begging, pleading or educating them on my part would change their minds.  Remember, this is NJ and sizable portion of the populations thinks guns are bad and want nothing to do with them.

A better approach might be to advertise ahead of time in the general area of the buyback your desire to legally purchase for your collection, and mention some sample prices.  Might get a few hits that way and not have to deal with the harassment.

P2P in a private sale requires seller to provide ID, or at least complete the section.  I should have been more specific in saying handgun.  I don't know if a long-gun COE requires seller information...

It does.  NJSP Form 634 - Certificate of Eligibility

I'm planning on standing outside of the property with a sign and a big printed stack of CoE's and a printout of the gun statutes as we know it.  Highlighted with the sections regarding legality.  I will have my FID on me.  My residence is also in Linden so that's not a big deal.

Yup

The truth is, legalities aside, you're playing his game, on his turf, by his rules.

The County Prosecutor has already given him his marching orders, which are, essentially, "Make sure I look good on tv".

You're not going to get a "win" here.

This is what I'm hoping won't happen but we'll see.

Also I found a sign outside of the Quickcheck down the street.

YzeEha2.jpg

Well that was a bust.

anactivegrenade and I went over to the buyback.  The police were not very enthusiastic about having us there.  They checked our FIDs and DLs to make sure we didn't have warrants...  Told us we couldn't be there like that as we were soliciting and required a permit.  We had to leave.

I did get to look at what they took in - most were rusted out pieces of junk.  One guy did bring up a couple of decent revolvers but he was already turning them in - couldn't do anything about it.

Well that was a bust.

anactivegrenade and I went over to the buyback.  The police were not very enthusiastic about having us there.  They checked our FIDs and DLs to make sure we didn't have warrants...  Told us we couldn't be there like that as we were soliciting and required a permit.  We had to leave.

I did get to look at what they took in - most were rusted out pieces of junk.  One guy did bring up a couple of decent revolvers but he was already turning them in - couldn't do anything about it.

A couple decent revolvers???

I think I'm gonna cry....