Howard

It's official - the machines have won

I am ready to quit, my new "Smart" TV seems to be smarter than me.  I have been fighting with it for almost a day now and still can't figure half the crap out.  I can build a computer form parts, have wired networks and am "the guy" people come to for tech help, but this sucker has me beat.  I finally got it to stream a movie from a folder on my computer via WiFi, but the sound from the surround system is of a cable channel and the sound from the movie is front the TV speakers.  OK I could turn off the surround and listen from the TV, but not what I want.  There is an option to direct the sound to the receiver but I am assuming I need some sort of audio cable to go from a TV audio out to somewhere on my receiver.  I wish they had a simple manual.  At least Samsung has this neat function where their support people can take control of your set over the net and show you stuff.  Only 10 minutes on hold remaining.....

Very easy solution and you already answered your own question lol. You need an optical audio cable, here's one for 6 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1413037734&sr=1-1

Run that from your tv audio out, to the receiver. Done. I had the same exact problem and this solved it

Which smart tv? I had a Samsung that I hated. Returned it and got my 2nd Sony, never to look back. All my systems are Sony and as much as I thought the Samsung was cool, it would simply not work nicely with my Sony systems. Not knowing your whole system. Get a digital cable from the TV to the receiver. May help. But need more info.

Very easy solution and you already answered your own question lol. You need an optical audio cable, here's one for 6 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1413037734&sr=1-1

Run that from your tv audio out, to the receiver. Done. I had the same exact problem and this solved it

Boy we think alike and within seconds posted. Lmao!

My buddy owns and audio video business. He fine tuned mine and set me up with one remote to power all my accessories. If you need his number shoot me a pm.

Thanks but I WILL beat this bear on my own.  Everything is good right now except for the quality of faces from the 1080i Cablevision box which is looking like an over cooked jpeg image.  Don't have that problem from content form my computer or even youtube.  Don't know if it is my cable box or perhaps a bad HDMI cable.  Once everything is ironed out I have confidence this will be amazing.  I will tell you though, these things are certainly not just plug and play when you start getting involved in multiple inputs through a surround system with pc and wifi inputs also.  "So simple a caveman could do it"-----NOT!

I've seen pictures crappy because of upscaling. Some receivers have that. So do tvs... Got to tell it not to upscale. It will change the resolution of the picture regardless of what channel type or picture.

Need to tell your equipment to accept what your cable box is sending. This way hd will remain and old channels that don't put out will not be forced to upscale the resolution. Nothing worse than Barney Fife looking like hell.

Without a description of tv outputs, receiver inputs (does it do hdmi switching) its tough to give you a direction to go.

For cables you can't beat monoproce.com.

the logitech harmony remotes are great. I use them for all of my setups.