Shawnmoore81

.22 pistol

I just recently purchased a .22 to help train my nephew.  I almost went with an M & P .22 compact, but I thought it a bit too small for his hands, let alone mine.

I went with a Ruger 22/45 lite. 

3903.jpg

I think it better for my nephew - not as much recoil. The M & P .22 compact was just too small and light weight... almost the same as the Walther P22 my mom owns.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't refering to the Mosquito but to something like the 226 in .22.

Anyway, Ruger all the way. I have a MkII and the wife has a MkIII. They are both unbreakable, they both run any ammo I've ever fed them with no drama. I also have a Buckmark that I prefer from an ergo's point of view and has a nicer trigger, but it is finicky eve after a trip back to the mothership. 

I love the S&W M&P 22, and it is my favorite 22 pistol.  I don't have any experience with the 22 Compact, but know that it is made in America, and if it is anything like the Walther-made full-size M&P 22, then it is a winner.   If it was available, I would have probably have chosen it over the larger version, but wouldn't, now, unless it shares the same magazines.    If it fits your hands, I would say go for th M&P unlesss your defensive handgun platform is a Walther PPQ, etc..

As for the Ruger suggestions, the Rugers are extremely durable, versatile and upgradeable pistols, but they have their drawbacks as well..  I  like the Ruger Mark III Hunter Target version distributor exclusive in  stainless with the 5.5" fluted bull barrel.  It is perfect for mounting a scope.  However, I would trade it anytime for a comparable Ruger Mark II, stainless, with a 5.5" bull barrel in similar condition.   The only positive it has over the Mark II is the location of the magazine release.  As far as versatility goes, I think the most versatile 22 handgun is the Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite with the 4.5" barrel.

But, as someone suggested, you cannot go wrong with a nice .22Lr revolver such as a Ruger SP101 double-action revolver.  Everyone needs a .22LR revolver.

Does the mkiii ran any ammo you throw at it?

I have run a few different manufacturers through my MKIII, and I have never had a malfunction. It's a solid performer with many aftermarket options. I love shooting steel matches with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gonna get a .22 pistol. Thinking

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413326062.989440.jpg

Or

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413326077.837098.jpg

Any reason why either or good or bad? I know some .22's can be a pain

I just went with an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for my Glock 19.

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AASOS&Category_Code=GLK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk