Sign in to follow this  
edwill86

gun guild easton magnet testing ammo now

So I went to the gun guild sat. Iv been going there for 2 years ( crackshot members) been shooting my AK there for the 6 months iv owned it. Never shot anything but lead core ammo there as to not damage the back stop . Always let them look at the boxes and read them to make sure. So sat one of the ros wants to see.my ammo. Is say no problem. He opens my box and magnet tests it. Be 4 he says a word I'm already saying to him its going to stick. Its comblock steel case. They all stick. The other ro looks at the box and says he'd let.me shoot i . The one ro proceeds to tell me I can't that its steel penitrator . so I basically had to tell him off, that its lead core its not steel core penetrators . he said something like " all ammo is lead core" to which I replyed " no I have steel core ammo at home. I won't bring it here because I know the rules" . so just a heads up if anyone is shooting comblock steel cased you might get hassled now.

So I went to the gun guild sat. Iv been going there for 2 years ( crackshot members) been shooting my AK their for the 6 months iv owned it. Never shot anything but lead core ammo ther . Always let them look at the boxes and read them to make sure. So sat one of the ros wants to see.my ammo. Is say no problem. He ioena my box and magnet tests it. Be he says a word I'm already saying to him its going to stick. Its comblock steel case. They all stick. The other ro looks at the box and says he'd let.me shoot i . The one ro proceeds to tell me I can't that its steel penitrator . so I basically had to tell him off . so just a heads up if anyone is shooting comblock steel cased you might get hassled now.

Do you mean "Heritage Guild - Easton?"  They aren't the only ones that don't allow steel. I'm traveling in FL and a new range I tried also tested my ammo for steel in the same way. Mine passed.  Not a big deal. 

Is the problem that you reload with steel?

Yeah sorry it was the heritage gun guild for a while in rahway where I'm near . Force of habit.

I know a lot of ranges magnet test. They never did before though. I guess someone abused it and shot green tips or something

. what ammo did you shoot that passed a magnet test that's comblock steel case?

No I only buy comblock steel cased lead core ammo. ( besides the 100 RDS of wolf military steel core.I got cheap and just have stored. )

Yeah sorry it was the heritage gun guild for a while in rahway where I'm near . Force of habit.

I know a lot of ranges magnet test. They never did before though. I guess someone abused it and shot green tips or something

. what ammo did you shoot that passed a magnet test that's comblock steel case?

No I only buy comblock steel cased lead core ammo. ( besides the 100 RDS of wolf military steel core.I got cheap and just have stored. )

I don't do steel... only brass.  AE 9mm and 45acp.

Sumthin' doesn't seem right to me.  Shooting a .30 cal inside is STUPID to me (except for a quick function-fire and then bring the rifle to a 100 yard RIFLE range), especially with an EFGA membership.   What was so terrible there to force you to drop your membership?  $5 a MONTH is SO much to pay........

Commie ammo should be pumped into the ground (Berm) NOT unleashed at an indoor range's backstop IMHO.  Damage to the range isn't worth YOUR money, and kudos to the range for realizing this.  I wunder if the backstop shows signs of abuse and THAT's why they now have to bust balls?

Just sayin'......

they bust balls because idiots dont read the rules and shoot green tips/ AP ammo. I can understand if i where to show up to the range with an ammo can with loose ammo and/or boxes with no writing that says " lead core"  but I never do. I show up with everything in order per their rules ( even emailed the manager before I started bringing my ak there.) if their Ro's dont know the difference between steel core and steel cased then Ill have to educate them.

if 7.62x39 is messing up the backstop then way not ban 5.56 then? most of the damage done is by guys with AR15s shooting green tip ammo there from what the other range officers have told me. 

(also they rent aks there and have for a long time im sure if the backstop was being destroyed by that caliber they would have stopped renting those out a long time ago) 

I have fun shooting my ak on a short indoor range. its just fun. EFGA was a waste of my money. everytime I planned a trip there where unannounced closings by the police, or a training class that over stayed their time, or it was massively crowded, or no one would take a break so we could set up targets when we finally got a bench, or some ass would play gun ho jerk, or in the case of my dad's friend have people fire after the range has been called cold and you're down range.  a year of trips with all that drama and BS is why its not worth my "$5" a month.

Im sure you like most have had no troubles there but I and my family are i guess part of the few that have had bad luck with efga. 

You & I are polar opposites.  Maybe it's a generational thing?  Sorry you had so much "drama".  You're like the ONLY case I've ever heard of.  Most folks check club calendar or hotline for closings.

Yo, it's NOT a caliber thing.  It's a materials thing and most 5.56 and .223 is NOT commie steel core, whereas ALL commie ammo is suspect until proven otherwise.  Green tips are only shot indoors by the ignorant, so yeah they have to inspect ammo at indoor ranges...just a fact of life!  YOU are the Poster Child for why most commercial ranges make you use their ammo with a rental gun (besides the reloading issue w/ blown-apart receivers).

It takes all kinds in this hobby, so enjoy blowin' Zombies away at 5-10 yards and stay SAFE!

The EFGA thing with closings first : I always checked. Weeks days and the day of to make sure. At least 2 times we drove out and the police had taken over the range . no listings online no email alrets no nothing . We contacted the board but they did nothing. Another time we planned a tip for my birthday . The day before they added a range closing for training from blank to blank times. We change plans and.come an hour later then planed so the class will be over . They stay on the range another hour after that.

I always use my ranges ammo when I rent firearms. I'm a poster child for knowing the ammo you should bring to an Indoor range.

The ammo they let you shoot when renting an AK there still sticks to the magnet. And most comblock ammo is not steel.core anymore, but most won't put a label on the box that says that. I make sure my boxes do say that they are lead core. I'm not arguing checking the ammo at the door is a bad thing. I always have a box out to show the . Its when they hassle you when your abiding by the rules due to their ignorance of ammo.

And don't get me wrong I'd love to go to an out door range and blast my Ak. But since I can t seem to find a range close by that's to my liking the indoor will be fine to shoot a few rounds( I don't even shoot more then maybe 80 rounds max from my AK there I mostly shoot my pistols ). And honestly this is the first issue iv ever had there.

I'll have to respectively disagree with you on steel core. 7.62 x39 steel core has been illegal for importation for almost 2 decades and at this point if you can find it, its at a premium where as 5.56 steel core is everywhere lately. Some with green tips and some without. That and not all of us want to drive an hour + for the occasional manipulation drills when there is a perfectly good indoor range 10 minutes away. Personally I'd love to just open my back door and shoot, but where I live currently, they frown on that. ;)

Eff the Heritage Guild. I can't believe you waste your money over at that place.

Give EFGA another try. I've been shooting there for over 4 years and the only thing I've ever had a problem with is a couple RO's being a little rude sometimes. Other than that, I keep to myself and have never had any issues.

they bust balls because idiots dont read the rules and shoot green tips/ AP ammo.

Green tips have nothing to do with AP. Lead core M193 5.56 will penetrate any hard object (including steel) better than green tip under 100 yards. The steel insert in m855 is flat, has no point, and is there to control yaw at 500 meters for increased penetration at long range.

I'll have to respectively disagree with you on steel core. 7.62 x39 steel core has been illegal for importation for almost 2 decades and at this point if you can find it, its at a premium where as 5.56 steel core is everywhere lately. Some with green tips and some without. That and not all of us want to drive an hour + for the occasional manipulation drills when there is a perfectly good indoor range 10 minutes away. Personally I'd love to just open my back door and shoot, but where I live currently, they frown on that. ;)

I looked over the info on the ammo I thought was steel core and it is not its lead core. It does not say lead core on the box though so I'll still not bring it indoors . I don't know if its illegal to import sreel core though.

As for EFGA like I said I'm done with that range. I might be moving out of state next year so I'm not going to waste my money renwing. I'm glad most of you guys have good expericances ther . We just did not have the same luck. So I'll make the best if a bad situation until I move.

I did buy some tula ammo for the range to show them. :)

. I don't know if its illegal to import sreel core though.

Yes it is, for most calibers. You can thank idiots who insist on making rifle caliber pistols. The "law" as interpreted by the ATF bans the importation of any AP handgun ammo. As soon as someone makes a pistol out of an AK or AR they get to ban the importation of AP rifle ammo as being pistol ammo.

Yes it is, for most calibers. You can thank idiots who insist on making rifle caliber pistols. The "law" as interpreted by the ATF bans the importation of any AP handgun ammo. As soon as someone makes a pistol out of an AK or AR they get to ban the importation of AP rifle ammo as being pistol ammo.

It's not AP. It's based on composition in these cases. The most common 5.45x39 surplus ammo has a steel core. It won't penetrate "armor," body armor, or SAPI plates any better than completely lead rounds of 5.56. It's made out of junk steel because it's cheaper for them than lead and it makes the bullet longer at the same weight.

That ammo was banned for import a few months ago by ATF.

Steel does not equal AP in the real world. It only equals AP in the handgun bullet composition rules of the ATF from he panic of the 1990s, subsequently amended by fiat.

If you guys are going to gun shows and buying "steel core" or "penetrator" (M855/SS109) ammo for increase penetration you are wasting your money. It will not penetrate anything any better than lead.

One of the most sought after 7.62mm NATO loads is German for a series of years in the 1990s. It is NATO spec, and it is steel core. It is sought after because it violently fragments, causing massive damage to tissue. Not because it will penetrate a hard object or body armor better, it won't.