TonyS.

A Proper Hot Shave........Wow!

I've been a old-style double edge safety razor kinda guy for some time now. A good shave can be a great experience so with that in mind ....   I needed to get my buddy something for his birthday and couldn't figure what to get him that wouldn't get me into hot water with his other half. What to do?!.....   Another friend actually suggested a proper hot shave at a local shave shop. I figured it was a great idea. I went with him since I was paying. We got there and the owner was cool and bs'ed with us for a little before commencing. When he was finished with my buddy I decided to get one too. Well, I gotta say that it's definitely an experience, and a soothing one at that. Sitting there relaxed, and if you're not then the hot towel treatment should do it, the preshave, then the shave....shooting the sh*t....  what a great experience. If you've never had the experience then I highly suggest to get one, at least once. They're not cheap but they won't break your bank either. I walked out feeling refreshed, comfortable, clean shaved with no weepers and ready to take on the world. :good: :good:

On 46 near Hot Dog Johnnys there is a barbershop that had a sign offering hot shaves for cheap. I don't know specifics because I've only passed by while on the job a few times. The barbershop is a little after Hackettstown and a little ways away from Johnnys.

Theres a place in the Garden State Plaza mall (Paramus) called The Art of Shaving that specializes in haircuts and hot shaves.shave you 2x, exfoliate, blah blah, attentive haircut.....gotta gift cert for Fathers day for hair and face just not too comfortable yet having someone drag a straight razor over my face- twice lol. Its also windowfront for all the mall to see and watch you lol.... ,

On 46 near Hot Dog Johnnys there is a barbershop that had a sign offering hot shaves for cheap. I don't know specifics because I've only passed by while on the job a few times. The barbershop is a little after Hackettstown and a little ways away from Johnnys.

Please tell me more about this and what else is a landmark.  Before or after the hatchery? Eastbound or westbound?

I'm 25 minutes away but would be happy to make the trip.

I would need to have my hogleg strapped on to really enjoy the shave - maybe I watched too many westerns :)

Please tell me more about this and what else is a landmark. Before or after the hatchery? Eastbound or westbound?

I'm 25 minutes away but would be happy to make the trip.

It was westbound on 46 after Hackettstown on the left hand side.... Before a big hill in a white building. I'm sorry for being so horrendously vague but I don't remember much. I'll get on google maps and find it for you.

It was westbound on 46 after Hackettstown on the left hand side.... Before a big hill in a white building. I'm sorry for being so horrendously vague but I don't remember much. I'll get on google maps and find it for you.

I'd appreciate that.  Maybe we can have a hot shave meet-up.

I'd appreciate that. Maybe we can have a hot shave meet-up.

Get the bike ready for a run there. Otherwise 2 blocks over from me is an old fashion barbershop that I've gone to since I was a kid. The current owner is an old Italian guy right off the boat that does kickarse flattops which are my fav. He does shaves. Problem is you got to spend a day there because every goomba in the area wants him. No appt.. Walk in and sit and wait. Now I do my own head because get tired of waiting all the time. Also no fun beings I know very little Italian. And I can only read so many newspapers while waiting.

You mean in BUTTZTOWN??

I want to say it is Bobs Family Barber Shop in Great Meadows, NJ. I am only saying that because it is in the general area, on the big hill, and I remember it being very patriotic. Again, sorry I'm so vague. I only remember passing it with a client and remembering the hot-shave Wednesday special sign.

I remember going to the quintessential small town barbershop as a kid with my dad and later by myself on my bike during my early teens. I miss it, except for the wait but that was part of it.  

I want to say it is Bobs Family Barber Shop in Great Meadows, NJ. I am only saying that because it is in the general area, on the big hill, and I remember it being very patriotic. Again, sorry I'm so vague. I only remember passing it with a client and remembering the hot-shave Wednesday special sign.

I remember going to the quintessential small town barbershop as a kid with my dad and later by myself on my bike during my early teens. I miss it, except for the wait but that was part of it.  

Yes, Great Meadows is in Independence Twp. where I live. I think I pass by that place when going to Town Hall, etc.

Ebola...no. NJ DOH requires that straight razors use disposable blades that are thrown out after every customer. My wife is a hairdresser and learned me up on that kind of stuff.

This is 100% true and also exactly the reason the barber shop I frequent no longer gives straight edge razor shaves, and hasn't for years. They will shave you with a disposable razor however, if that's your wish.

Here's some places I know of for shaves:

The Clubhouse, Clark

Swagger & Blade, Wanamassa (northwest of Asbury Park), Shane Bruno is an Army Vet and ex-owner of Old World Shaving
Old World Shaving Parlour, Red Bank
Shaves, Spring Lake
The Hoboken Man, Hoboken
Mickey's, Avon by The Sea

Related, you can also get into collecting antique razors - sharpening, care, refurbishing... that is a whole sub-set of blade guys who collect them.

Oh yeah, that's another hobby you can spend $$ on. I've been lucky to've been given my deceased uncles' razors. Lots of gems, though mostly Gillettes but they are from different years. My favorite is a 1957 Gillette SuperSpeed. I get better shaves with it than I got with my Mach-3. I picked up a 100 pack of razor blades last year for $10 and I think I've still got >50% left. The whole razor industry is a scam. Down the road you'll have 10-bladed monstrosities to shave with. LOL! Thank God I got away from those $$ razors.