maintenanceguy

I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours - Targets

I've always just hacked something together to shoot at when I felt like shooting. A scrap piece of plywood leaning on a couple of cinder blocks, a paper target stapled to a 2x4 post driven into the dirt, or a target taped to an old 5 gallon bucket worked fine.

I bought a decent target .22 handgun for my 14 year old daughter to shoot several months ago and finally built a real target to shoot at.

I'm interested in new ideas to improve my little back yard range and wondered what others here have built for themselves.

Here's mine. The plywood slides into the frame from the top and can be replaced once it's shot-out. I'm using 1/4" luan but it will take up to 3/4" ply. The gongs are 8", 6", and 4". The spinner is an old one I built years ago that I could stomp into the ground re-purposed.

Now let's see yours.

back-yard-target1.jpg

back-yard-target.jpg

how about a dirt mound backstop? especially with what looks like farm houses and roads in distance behind your target.

This is for handgun and .22 only.  The biggest handgun I shoot is .45 colt.  It's got a bullet drop of more than 113 feet (not inches) before I reach the edge of the property.   If I lobbed one up in the air, I'd only get about 1/4 the distance to those barns.

From photo 2, you can see that I'm shooting well below the horizon - even if I had a magic anti-gravity bullet that would shoot perfectly flat forever.

With all due respect, I think your shooting range setup is not safe. If I lived in one of those houses across that field, I would not feel comfortable whatsoever. As ogfarmer said, a simple 8-10ft dirt berm would solve a lot of safety issues. I understand your only shooting pistol rounds that may not go 'as far' or have high fps as rifle rounds but still, I do not feel that that's a safe set up.

Your target stand and plates are nice but no backstop makes me feel uneasy, not only for your neighbors but for you as well.

I think a lot of others would agree.

And bridges look like they should fall down and sky scrapers look like they should blow over.  Fortunately the math says otherwise.

But, I didn't want a disagreement over maximum possible range of a handgun, I'm hoping to see other target setups - hopefully some safer than mine.

how about a dirt mound backstop? especially with what looks like farm houses and roads in distance behind your target.

It would also give you something to stand behind, so you don't have every passer-by wondering what you're doing...

It would also give you something to stand behind, so you don't have every passer-by wondering what you're doing...

Every passer by is shooting in their back yards too.  Everybody here shoots and hunts.  I hear gunshots from several directions every nice weekend.  Now that hunting season's here, there will be armed men and women in orange and camo walking along the road near every patch of woods.  Nobody here thinks twice about a guy with a gun shooting in his back yard.

But I'm off topic again....I really want to see targets!

With all due respect, I think your shooting range setup is not safe. If I lived in one of those houses across that field, I would not feel comfortable whatsoever. As ogfarmer said, a simple 8-10ft dirt berm would solve a lot of safety issues. I understand your only shooting pistol rounds that may not go 'as far' or have high fps as rifle rounds but still, I do not feel that that's a safe set up.

Your target stand and plates are nice but no backstop makes me feel uneasy, not only for your neighbors but for you as well.

I think a lot of others would agree.

Look at the second photo. The target appears to be, from the shooter's perspective, a good 20-30 feet below the horizon, and at least 1500 feet from it. That's a very large berm if you ask me. Plus objects drop 30 feet per second. 

I would probably install a berm or backstop, but I grew up in Hoboken without guns so what do I know? 

To sum up:

• I need a backstop.
  • I'm poisoning the earth with lead bullets.
  • I need something to hide behind so passers-by can't see me.
  • Somebody (probably me) misspelled R-I-C-O-C-H-E-T.

And only one picture of somebody's target.  

PLEASE...SHOW ME YOUR TARGETS!

The forum isn't letting me upload right now but this what I have:

http://letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=VTAC-P

Also made a PVC/Wood target stand to hold said targets. But I never have a chance to shoot so they've been sitting unused since I got them.

Every passer by is shooting in their back yards too.  Everybody here shoots and hunts.  I hear gunshots from several directions every nice weekend.  Now that hunting season's here, there will be armed men and women in orange and camo walking along the road near every patch of woods.  Nobody here thinks twice about a guy with a gun shooting in his back yard.

I'm moving to where you live. lol.

I love threads like this... Like when I read home improvement DIY posts where someone posts a picture and asks "is my venting on this sink right?" And the next three replies are:

The outlet there isn't grounded right

You need more insulation

Your trap is too low

I like the setup BUT...

You really, really need a small backstop even with the distance you mentioned I would never shoot a 22 (and certainly not a 45) without a backstop.

Get a truck of cheap fill for a backstop, a small dump truck of fill would prevent any chance (while slim) of a round leaving your property. Can do this for $400 or so and you will have a decent little back stop.

Nice property BTW, miss living like that

I use a 10in ar500 gong. made the stand with some pipe and fittings from lowes. and no that is not my backstop. I bring it to the range. :laugh: GO4OhtO.jpg

I just got my first AR500 gong and was trying to figure out how to hang it. This looks pretty durable and fairly easy to make at the same time. More than likely, I will be making an exact copy of this. XD lol

Took my 12 year old nephew to the range couple weekends ago. He had a good time. Not his first time shooting, but first handgun experience. He did hunter safety 2 years ago. Had him out with his single shot .22, and .20g breaking clays a couple times. Brought out a G19, Walther P22, and a 10/22 just in case he wasn't comfortable with the handgun's yet.

Here he is Glocking it up. To my surprise he handled it pretty well. And took safety directions like any adult would.

bd70aba72a56e5016b3feec5ef8dfb14.jpg

10/22

b75d8733c4f9b33c528a99b2289b85a1.jpg

Happy kid, with his target.

1d16de7c031c267bcc3f4a3afad85f3c.jpg

Definitely earned a few "cool uncle" points.

DeerSlayer:

If I was your nephew, you would be my favorite Uncle!

He looks quite pleased with his target and I bet you both had a great time at the RTSP range that day.

Glad to hear that you ensured that he understood all of the necessary safety instructions.

I assume that your Glock that he was shooting is a 9mm.

I bet he is looking forward to his next trip to the range with you.

AVB-AMG

DeerSlayer:

If I was your nephew, you would be my favorite Uncle!

He looks quite pleased with his target and I bet you both had a great time at the RTSP range that day.

Glad to hear that you ensured that he understood all of the necessary safety instructions.

I assume that your Glock that he was shooting is a 9mm.

I bet he is looking forward to his next trip to the range with you.

AVB-AMG

Yeah he digs it. Wish he lived closer I would bring him more often. He's a great kid. listening is important, and he does. Yes he was shooting a Glock 19 Gen 4 it's a 9mm. I let him choose between a bunch of handguns (Except the S&W 500) he chose the Walther P22 and the G19, so that's what we brought out that day. I know he really wanted to shoot my STI race gun, think the look of it intimidated him lol.