JT Custom Guns

Anyone here into (authentic) Japanese Swords.....???

Well.....I am more into the modern renditions as I cant afford to play in the authentic arena(+25k for anything worth having). I currently have a Dragonfly from Bugei Trading that scratches the itch. It is traditionally made and has the look and good quality for the spend. I also follow the works of people like Jesus Hernandes, Walter Sorrell, Rick Barret, and of course Howard Clark. These being extremely high end modern rendition for under the 10k mark(most of the time :) )

pr878img4sma.jpg

For those who are interested in how a Japanese sword is born, this video

is pretty much the way it's been done for over a 1000 years.

Enjoy...................

I actually know how to forge them (theoretically-- I know the steps, but don't have the hands-on training). I love swords, always have. I used to be one of those "Swords are cool because they require skill, guns are lame" guys, but converted when I was in 8th grade. 

I really want a sword, not an authentic one, as I'd like to learn to use it (And moreso than a historical gun, I fear using a historical sword). I wouldn't be surprised if my gf got me a nice entry-level one for christmas or something. She's hinted at getting me something that "I'd REALLY LOVE", and a sword is the only thing I could picture, as a PA resident giving me a gun would probably break all sorts of laws.

Anyway, I'd love more than anything to forge my own weapon. I always wanted to do blacksmithing and I love metallurgy.

Im about 3 rungs up on that ladder. Will be starting with Knives. Still acquiring equipment. Aside from small tools, the remaining piece to acquire is a forge. Likely going with a Diamondback forge.

Do I understand this correctly? Did you say you're getting a forge, as in, to forge weapons? 

A pattern welded 1911 is more what I had in mind including the frame! :D

Here is a rose I did as a class project in Blacksmithing class using a coal forge from the 1800's. The heat a coal forge can create is rather amazing. +3000 degrees. Gave it to the wife for xmas. She loved it.

rose.jpg

Not gonna lie, that's pretty muscle!

Nice work

Many WWII officers swords were family blades that were passed down through generations to be put in military mounts and carried into combat in the pacific. If you prowl around you will find them fairly cheap. One of my blades is signed 1644, hunt around and they are out there.

As stated above, wit ha little research on the net, you can learn what to look for in a good

quality blade.

As USNMARS stated, many "Family" bladed were given to sons to take into battle, and they were

mounted in military fittings (Shingunto). The trick is learning to look for hand made blades as opposed

to machine made; but as a first sword possibly you would want a machine made as a starter to your collection.

Once you have a blade you think might be valuable, you can have an Oshigata (Visual inspection & appraisal)

done to get a better glimpse into the blade / swords origins.