jackandjill

Advice on beginner motorcycle

I am looking for a beginner motorcycle and I am sure following requirements are familiar to many. Appreciate your advice, pointers and recommendation on where to look if I were to  buy one

1. Daily ride to office (weather permitting)

2. Good gas mileage

3. Decent pull power for a passenger

4. Decent handling upto  speeds of 80 mph (not planning for 110s on highway)

5. Decent handling on highway next to trucks

6. Not crazy about looks or brands

8. Easy(ier) maintenance

9. Used (preferred) at decent price

10. Not planning to go across the country on this one

11. Prefer the quiet ones

So far, looked at 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, 2003 Suzuki Volusia Cruiser .

First try not to fall. Next if you can deffinantly take a bike course it will help with learn the basics and doubles as your road test. I also agree with the other posters start with a 650 or larger bike if having a second rider happens a lot. Lastly when riding watch the drivers of the other vehicles on the road and their front tires to see if they might want to move into your lane without warning. Safe riding.

I am looking for a beginner motorcycle and I am sure following requirements are familiar to many. Appreciate your advice, pointers and recommendation on where to look if I were to  buy one

1. Daily ride to office (weather permitting)

2. Good gas mileage

3. Decent pull power for a passenger

4. Decent handling upto  speeds of 80 mph (not planning for 110s on highway)

5. Decent handling on highway next to trucks

6. Not crazy about looks or brands

8. Easy(ier) maintenance

9. Used (preferred) at decent price

10. Not planning to go across the country on this one

11. Prefer the quiet ones

So far, looked at 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, 2003 Suzuki Volusia Cruiser .

500's gonna be too small. you don't think so now. you probably think that polak and myself are full of poop. i thought the same thing when i bought my first bike...a honda cm450e. it was fun for almost a week. then it was too small, lolol.

anyway.......the vulcan is a nice bike, but get bigger. honda shadow is a VERY nice bike, i've had two fo those. both of mine were 1100's. rode to/from florida multiple times on them, and used them for work just as easily.

whatever you buy, make sure that you can pick it up, if it's dropped. the shadow's not overly heavy...i dropped one of mine, and was able to pick it up pretty easily(embarrassing as hell btw). they handle the buffeting when passing trucks pretty well. my ex that i was seeing a few years back weighed around 150, and i had no trouble with her on the back.

just don't get anything small. also.....watch out for #$%^ jersey drivers.

Advice is big heavy bike. Im tall but thin. Flacco. I rode a yamaha xt 600 for years. An enduro. I got tired of getting whipped around by the wind. So now i have a yamaha road star all tricked out single saddle and open pipes. It sits really low and with the weight of it i dont move at all. Havent had any problems with it in the last ten years. Im sure you can get a good used one for around 5 grand.

500's gonna be too small. you don't think so now. you probably think that polak and myself are full of poop.  :sarcastichand:      i thought the same thing when i bought my first bike...a honda cm450e. it was fun for almost a week. then it was too small, lolol.

anyway.......the vulcan is a nice bike, but get bigger. honda shadow is a VERY nice bike, i've had two fo those. both of mine were 1100's. rode to/from florida multiple times on them, and used them for work just as easily.

whatever you buy, make sure that you can pick it up, if it's dropped. the shadow's not overly heavy...i dropped one of mine, and was able to pick it up pretty easily(embarrassing as hell btw). they handle the buffeting when passing trucks pretty well. my ex that i was seeing a few years back weighed around 150, and i had no trouble with her on the back.

just don't get anything small. also.....watch out for #$%^ jersey drivers.

He said Poop!

:rofl:

For your listed needs, I would recommend a Yamaha Virago 1100. I had an '86 for a few years, before the great nor'easter of 92 flooded it out.

Simple, comfortable, powerful enough, cheap and reliable. The 1100 was unchanged for over a decade and can be had for not too much money.

Buy it and if you change your mind, you will get every dollar back on resale. 

I have owned many bikes, from small simple 200cc bikes to very powerful, 4 cylinder 1100cc super bikes.  Maintenance was always the deal breaker on the big ones. Synching 4 carbs, into 4 cylinders with at least 8 valves, can get expensive.

Also, remember where we live. This is NJ, not northern California. A super sharp handling sport bike is a waste of time, IMHO, in NJ. 

Simple is good.

Good luck and let us see what you decided on.

I'm concerned that you're mixing "beginner" with "passenger" and "80MPH" in one topic.

Start with a cheapo 350 dual sport or ~500cc cruiser, get the initial drops and close calls out of your system, and then move on up.

My progression was Yamaha GT80 -> Yamaha YZ125 -> KTM 200 -> Yamaha YZF600R -> Honda Shadow 1100.

Obviously the first three were offroad only (and hare scrambles/enduros).  Took my road test on a friend's XT350.

It's not all about displacement.  The YZF wasn't really fun until about 60 MPH, and the Shadow sucks at that speed or above.

First try not to fall. Next if you can deffinantly take a bike course it will help with learn the basics and doubles as your road test. I also agree with the other posters start with a 650 or larger bike if having a second rider happens a lot. Lastly when riding watch the drivers of the other vehicles on the road and their front tires to see if they might want to move into your lane without warning. Safe riding.

+1  

I started on a 400; but quickly moved up to a Honda CB750 Nighthawk, which I rode for years.

Forget anything smaller than a 500cc - you want the power available to accelerate your way out of trouble.

I'll throw in one other thing. Make sure you get something with a comfortable passenger seat. Trust me. You wouldn't want your passenger bitchin the whole trip because her coccyx bone hurts. Everything everyone else said is viable. Except don't start small.

As for picking up a bike, just about anyone can if you know how regardless of size. Just goggle a video stating same. Good luck and ride safe.

Get what you feel comfortable on , a bike that you feel you can handle and not be intimidated. It may be a 500 or it may be a 1000 . Just because a 500 worked for one person it doesn't always fit the bill for the next person. I started on a 1979 KZ 650 i was 17. It worked for me . If you dont feel confident i suggest what others have, take a riding course it will build your confidence ,teach you fundamentals and make you a better, SAFER rider. Good luck and keep the rubber side down. You will get 1000 opinions here, go with your gut. Its your ass on the line not ours

Just to pile on...650 or bigger.  You'll quickly regret anything smaller.

Also, I found that seats make a huge difference for any rides over 30 minutes, so make sure you feel comfortable when you are in the riding position.

Get what you feel comfortable on , a bike that you feel you can handle and not be intimidated. It may be a 500 or it may be a 1000 . Just because a 500 worked for one person it doesn't always fit the bill for the next person. I started on a 1979 KZ 650 i was 17. It worked for me . If you dont feel confident i suggest what others have, take a riding course it will build your confidence ,teach you fundamentals and make you a better, SAFER rider. Good luck and keep the rubber side down. You will get 1000 opinions here, go with your gut. Its your ass on the line not ours

^

^

^ This

Take the motorcycle safety course, I don’t think the courses were available when I started out but have heard good things about them. Get something that you are comfortable riding for a season or two just to get use to the road. Then if you need a 120 cubic inch Harley, or a 200 HP crotch rocket buy one later. Riding a motorcycle in NJ is an experience to say the least.  In case you didn’t notice already too many A-holes on the road that don’t drive that good to begin with who are now preoccupied texting and feeding their faces with Wendy’s burgers so you have that to contend with. When you are driving a MC you are less visible and only half the ones that do see you will give you any courtesy or respect. Good luck

I owned and rode the vulcan 500 for three years. It has the same engine as the ninja 500. It was fast and agile. I used it to teach a friend how to ride and then sold it to him after. I highly recommend this bike. Low maintenance, low insurance, plenty of power and very comfortable to ride. I'm not very tall or heavy so this bike fit well. Full disclosure , i ride a wide glide and wouldn't go back to it, but it is a great place to begin, learn and build confidence.

Ride safe!

First of all, do you want a cruiser or sport bike? Sure you can take a passenger on a sport bike but I know my girls would rather I take the cruiser when they ride with me. It'll take some road time before you get comfortable enough to have a passenger. I would get a 500cc. It's small enough yet powerful enough to do what you want. It won't win any speed trials but it you're not racing. I started on a 1974 Honda 360T and took my girlfriends on it many times and never had a problem except really steep hills or needed fast acceleration onto the highways. I rode that little 360 for about 4 years before I upgraded.  If you can take the rider safety course then do so. Besides the obvious benefit to you you'll get a break on your insurance. There's plenty of good bikes out there. Take your time and get what you like.

Don't get hung up on CC's as the power is engine design dependent. As stated, you need to pick a style or its nearly impossible to advise you. Sport, cruiser, streetfighter, touring, chopper, standard????

Yep..... 1000cc cruiser is not like a 1000cc sport bike....

and I will go against the grain...... get a small bike to learn on, and not a cruiser.  The smaller bikes are much more forgiving to noob mistakes with the throttle. The best one is a older Ninja 500, yes its a sprtbike name, but it is a Standard upright riding positon, which is the best to get your techniques up to speed, buy it used.... ride it for a year, and you will find you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it...

Why not a cruiser, I found the forward controls are not the best seating position to properly learn the skills for cornering and braking properly......

Your 1st bike in most cases wont be your long-term ride regardless..... most people once they have some miles under their belt yearn for something different anyway, so might as well learn on a bike better suited for it....

So IMHO .....

older Ninja 500.....   and what I think is the best bang for the buck for a good powerful standard ....   go to the early -mid 90's Honda 750 Nighthawk , an iconic bike that can be had cheap and parts are plentiful....

Your first bike should have nothing to do with speed, distance, passenger, etc.

Your first bike should be a neutral handling, soft power and and comfortably light motorcycle. Ninja 500 is a great suggestion.

Buy it used. Get comfortable. Sell it for what you bought it for and move on to the style of bike you prefer.

Take the MSF course. Even if you rode dirt, even if your friend who has ridden forever is going to teach you. Best money you will spend is a course.

There is all the time in the world to buy a bigger, faster, more whatever motorcycle.

IMO I would also first highly recommend a rider safety course, (I can tell the guys that have taken one and those who haven't when i ride with them instantly) next don't worry about putting passengers on your bike for at least a year or two. You should be riding alone for at least a full season before you start bringing a passenger. After your first full year most riders become overly confident and complaint, that's when you make a mistake. Keep that in mind, its extremely easy to go from Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jeckel within the twist of the throttle. Ive been on motorcycles since the age of 5 and I know I become a completely different person when I'm on my bikes. Get whatever you feel comfortable with riding alone for your first bike. Worry about a long term passenger bike once your skills have progressed to that point. If your riding someone on the back I highly recommend a big heavy bike, more stability. I ride sport bikes mostly, if the person on the back does something sudden you feel it big time as the operator. I had a chick give a big wave to her friends once years ago and it almost wiped us out. Those are not the kind of experiences you want to have when your just starting out.

Started a lot of years years ago with a Kawasaki KZ400 Twin.  Great for around town but not on the highway.  Then a Kawasaki 750.  When I got back into riding picked up a used Honda Shadow.  Not bad but not a highway bike either.  Then I got a used BMW F650GS that needed a lot of TLC.  It was a fun project bike.  Because I now ride paved, unpaved, and trails, its has been the most fun yet. Just not a highway person I guess.  Gets 55-60 mi on a gallon of gas.

Yep..... 1000cc cruiser is not like a 1000cc sport bike....

and I will go against the grain...... get a small bike to learn on, and not a cruiser.  The smaller bikes are much more forgiving to noob mistakes with the throttle. The best one is a older Ninja 500, yes its a sprtbike name, but it is a Standard upright riding positon, which is the best to get your techniques up to speed, buy it used.... ride it for a year, and you will find you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it...

Why not a cruiser, I found the forward controls are not the best seating position to properly learn the skills for cornering and braking properly......

Your 1st bike in most cases wont be your long-term ride regardless..... most people once they have some miles under their belt yearn for something different anyway, so might as well learn on a bike better suited for it....

So IMHO .....

older Ninja 500.....   and what I think is the best bang for the buck for a good powerful standard ....   go to the early -mid 90's Honda 750 Nighthawk , an iconic bike that can be had cheap and parts are plentiful....

Your first bike should have nothing to do with speed, distance, passenger, etc.

Your first bike should be a neutral handling, soft power and and comfortably light motorcycle. Ninja 500 is a great suggestion.

Buy it used. Get comfortable. Sell it for what you bought it for and move on to the style of bike you prefer.

Take the MSF course. Even if you rode dirt, even if your friend who has ridden forever is going to teach you. Best money you will spend is a course.

There is all the time in the world to buy a bigger, faster, more whatever motorcycle.

Listen to these guys.  

Listen to these guys.  

And to him too.

MC riding, especially in NJ, is a serious undertaking.  I started on a Honda 450 Nighthawk.  It lasted about 6 months before I outgrew it, but I would do the same thing all over again.  I then after about 6 months "graduated" to a Honda VF750S Sabre and rode that for years.  Got out of the sport when I couldn't ride to work anymore (child seats don't fit on a bike) and weekends were taken up by kids activities. 

I strongly recommend the MSF course as well.  Situational awareness is key.  You need to ride as if you're invisible to every other vehicle on the road.  Defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning, as does "Bodywork" if there is an accident.

Getting a full-size bike to learn on would be like getting a .44 magnum as your first handgun.