Shawnmoore81

Sig 516 issues

When I first bought the gun it had failure to feed issues. I marked it up an the break in period. Well it seemed to have worked the issue out. Well until my move and shoot class. Usually I was shooting from a bench with a 15 round mag. At that class I was running 30 rounders and was ripping rounds down range. I couldn't get a mag empty without a failure to feed. It was usually a few per mag. Luckily I showed up with a 2nd ar. I did research online and read all sorts of suggestions from cutting the buffer spring to running it on the servers setting. I contacted my distributors sig guy and he put me through to the regional law enforcement rep with sig. I examined it all. Now the gun is at sig and I'll keep the post updated.

Were you shooting 223 or 5.56? Grain weight? I couldn't get mine to run reliably on the normal piston setting with any 223. 55gn and 62gn 5.56 worked fine with the non severe gas piton setting though.

Wait wait wait.... Lemme get this straight.... A piston AR had repeated malfunctions? And you needed an obsolete DI AR to finish your 1 day carbine course?

Impossible! Lies and balderdash! I just don't believe it.

The piston is not the problem. The problem is it got too close to the DI AR in the trunk :D

Pmags

62gr green tips

mil spec 5.56 and you still had the issue?  it's a standard lower correct?  what buffer does it come with stock?  try shooting it with a carbine buffer if it has a H buffer.  i'd do that before cutting the spring although its hard to imagine a stock gun not getting enough gas for an H buffer from 62gr 5.56

It's funny, I live in Exeter New Hampshire now, home of Sig and Sig Academy. People up here take such pride in it being a New Hampshire company, and just about everyone I meet at my local ranges has at least one Sig. I shoot my Glock and get asked when I will get a Sig, and people are annoyed when I tell them I am not saving to buy one. I mollify them by saying that steel Sigs are not very lefty friendly, which is difficult to deny. 

They certainly do not want to hear anything about documented quality control problems. Sig koolaid is nearly as strong as Glock, although far weaker than Kimber's. 

images5.jpeg

the st-t2 buffer they advertize as weighing between 4 and 4.2oz.  and the stock H buffer is 3.8oz.  it seems with the reported issues of "tight springs" and cutting springs and all running the gas system on the dirtiest setting for more gas, the best bet would be to replace it with a lighter spring.  you went with a heavier buffer.  try a carbine buffer and if that doesnt work send it back to sig.  my guess it's a design flaw of the gas system.  with a piston system, not only is the gas port size important, but so is the valve on the piston system.  where a company like bushmaster can get away with an overgassed system, i think the piston designs arent as lucky.  im sure sig "tried" to create a nice soft shooting system but undergassed it.

did you send it in to them yet?  

try this for a test.  put one round in the gun with an empty mag.  shoot it with the gun supported only enough to be safe.  does the bolt lock to the rear? if it does that reliably, then i would think the magazine, mag well, bolt or something else may be the issue.  im guessing that the bolt wont lock back reliably.  

Admittedly, I am no fan of Sig as a company, (their firearms never really did it for me either) especially since Ron Cohen took the helm - I still can't understand why Sig hired him after he ruined Kimber - but their CS has always been pretty good, even when they have reason not to be.

lets just hope they dont put an H buffer in there and send it back saying the aftermarket part was the problem.

This is why you don't practice WECSOG on firearms that are problematic out of the gate. Request an RA, send it back, and avoid the blame game.

If you sold a product, and someone swapped parts then complained to you that it didn't work and sent it back demanding you fix it would you consider the warrantee still in place? How do you troubleshoot a factory gun with non-factory parts?

If that happens it'll be the last sig I buy

If you send a gun back with non-OEM parts installed whose fault is it really if they charge for repairs or "repair" for free but in actuality do nothing more than return it to factory spec?

Oh, and ARs shouldn't require break in periods.