jackandjill

Would you give FID to NJ DMV ? 3 points

No they just look at it and hand it back to you like any other document. They don't write down your bank account number and monthly balance when you hand them your bank statement for proof of residence either. Your FID card is a useless piece of paper to anyone else but you.

I'd be curious, though, if the DMV somehow recorded your SBI #: off the FID as part of 6pt. ID so it could be linked to your DL on their systems. Certainly, the SBI and your local chief has your DL, but I'd be a bit more concerned with the DMV having your SBI #.  Depends on who else other than the DMV and LE might have access to your DMV records...  Credit Bureaus?  Potential Employers?  Others?

I'd be curious, though, if the DMV somehow recorded your SBI #: off the FID as part of 6pt. ID so it could be linked to your DL on their systems. Certainly, the SBI and your local chief has your DL, but I'd be a bit more concerned with the DMV having your SBI #. Depends on who else other than the DMV and LE might have access to your DMV records... Credit Bureaus? Potential Employers? Others?

I don't see as how even if someone did find out I posses a FID card where the issue is? If you do have a card it means your the exact opposite of a criminal. As an employer myself to me it would say this guy is worth hiring if he has a FID card he must be squeaky clean as far as his record is concerned.

I don't see as how even if someone did find out I posses a FID card where the issue is? If you do have a card it means your the exact opposite of a criminal. As an employer myself to me it would say this guy is worth hiring if he has a FID card he must be squeaky clean as far as his record is concerned.

I can understand how you might see it that way. But trust me when I say, a lot of others (i.e. anti-gun people) would see it way differently. And many of them are my clients. They wouldn't be my clients very long if they knew I was pro-2A.

I can understand how you might see it that way. But trust me when I say, a lot of others (i.e. anti-gun people) would see it way differently. And many of them are my clients. They wouldn't be my clients very long if they knew I was pro-2A.

I wouldn't want to work for them, or do business with them in that case. And I don't keep my views a secret from anyone. I would rather starve than go against my beliefs to be politically correct. But that's me, my attitude towards the world doesn't work for everyone.

I wouldn't want to work for them, or do business with them in that case. And I don't keep my views a secret from anyone. I would rather starve than go against my beliefs to be politically correct. But that's me, my attitude towards the world doesn't work for everyone.

Oh, for the day when I can afford that option.... :)

Actually, like 5-7 years ago(?)

I believe the NJ "FID card" was valued at 6 pts. Just as high or higher than a US Passport. I used my "FID card" at that time along w my expired NJ driver license (1 point) and that was ALL I needed.

Then, I walked out saying to myself. Gee, I wonder how long they will allow this??? This may even ENCOURAGE folks to get a NJ "FID card" if not for anything, just to make driver's license renewals very easy.

I guess the liberal incrementalists are quite alive and well in the PRNJ.

I tried using mine back in June when I was up for renewal. The clerk took one look at it and rejected it because "The fingerprint was blurry" and "I couldn't read the signing officer's name". I didn't make a big fuss out of it at the time, because I just wanted to get the hell out of there. This was at the DMV over in Lodi.

My questions is why can't they encode your registration and insurance information onto your DL? Let it say this driver has these vehicles registered and the insurance expires x date.

Carrying the cards is like 19th century technology. Although I guess the state would be concerned about losing funds on those people who manage to misplace one or more of the cards.

My questions is why can't they encode your registration and insurance information onto your DL? Let it say this driver has these vehicles registered and the insurance expires x date.

Carrying the cards is like 19th century technology. Although I guess the state would be concerned about losing funds on those people who manage to misplace one or more of the cards.

The greater concern, I think is that those other documents (reg & insurance) expire more frequently than the DL and need to be replaced more frequently. My insurance cert. expires every 6 months. My Reg, every 1 year.  MY DL, every 4 years. You would need to have exp. dates also encoded on the DL as well for LEO verification during a stop.  I would think the only way to do that would be, perhaps to have an electronic DL with a strip that can be updated. so the LEO can read the information with a strip reader or something.

That, and the reg/insurance info is more volatile for other reasons... i.e. if you buy a new car, etc. etc. etc.