Recon Racoon

Found a easy source for quick clot sponges

So I was at work today slacking off (weekends in retail are slow paced...) and found a new to our store product:

72d5438e7fba32f0a0bbb67a168eccd2.jpg

Complete self contained wound packing kit. Quick clot sponge, gause wrap and pair of gloves. 14.99 for the kit (I don't think medical supplies are taxed but I'm probably wrong.) looks cheaper than the stand alone sponge [removed inaccurate information] Not sure on size of the sponge, I'll check it out when I'm back in on Monday.

So if you're looking for a local source of quikclot, and don't want to buy online, then this maybe the option for you.

Found in first aid section of walgreens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The standard quickclot tests are based on pig's blood with a laceration. I could be wrong but I thought QC was Kaolin as the inert mineral? The other major difference is in the packaging. That's comparable to the old ACS sponges, what makes QC effective is the ability to stuff it into a wound, close to the origin of the bleed and allow for coagulation. That sponge doesn't look like it would fit into many wounds, and if it does, it's a wound that isn't likely to be very conducive to life. 

With that being said, it is a cheaper option and probably worth checking out although I wouldn't be quick to replace my QC in my kit with something like that. 

The standard quickclot tests are based on pig's blood with a laceration. I could be wrong but I thought QC was Kaolin as the inert mineral? The other major difference is in the packaging. That's comparable to the old ACS sponges, what makes QC effective is the ability to stuff it into a wound, close to the origin of the bleed and allow for coagulation. That sponge doesn't look like it would fit into many wounds, and if it does, it's a wound that isn't likely to be very conducive to life.

With that being said, it is a cheaper option and probably worth checking out although I wouldn't be quick to replace my QC in my kit with something like that.

You could be right about the inert material, because that's all I found with a quick google search last night.

As far as the sponge it's self, I guess it's all personal preference. I'd personally be more apt to go for sponges because the powder is going to be harder to remove from a wound (think scraping the wound to debride it).

Like I said I'd have to look at the size of the sponge, and see how big or small it actually is. But if it's thin enough you might be able to roll it and pack a wound for a better seal then powder, pressure bandages or stand alone gauze. After all you're just looking to stabilize the patient long enough to prevent shock and allow transport to a better equipped medical facility.

After a better search on quikclot it looks like Wikkie is right and it's kaolin not zeolite. So I was wrong on that front, and by law generic has to be the same formulary as name brand so at least we know it's kaolin like quikclot.

Modern QC is actually kaolin impregnated gauze, as you stated with the powder being an issue, the original versions were highly exothermic. I have some floating around, if I decide to waste some money, I'll buy a steak, cover it in QC powder and you can watch it cook my steak for me. This lead to a huge wound debridement issue. 

While not the same product, anything is better than nothing. Next time I'm in Walgreens, I'm going to search for this and I might pick it up just to play with it and compare it to QC. 

Good find. Thanks!