emptyshell

Utah and Florida CCW

Neither UT or FL non-resident CCW are valid in PA thanks to the PA DA's new ruling this year.  They are still nice to have for the rest of the country.  Easy to obtain just find  a combined UT, FL CCW class to attend, and then apply to each.  About sixty days for each.  TN is a shall issue to residents only state. So you would have to "move" to qualify there.

You own A house in Tenn.   Do you have anything registered there?   Boat, Car Rv  if so why not just get your Tenn. Resident CCW

The Tenn liscense is recognized in PA. As they dont issue Non Res.

We have A house there with A registered Boat & Trailer, Plus our RV.

That will solve your question.

You would need to have your Tenn. DL also. When you get it, Your NJ DL will have A sticker applied to it stateing you also hold A Tenn. DL

Edited by kirk2022

I have UT, FL and AZ

Utah requires a stand alone class.

Fl requires a gun safety class. ex. NRA basic pistol

There is classes that combine both offered at some places locally.

PA doesnt recognize either anymore

I have exactly the same - UT, FL, & AZ.

I have been carrying here in FL and it has been glorious.... It will be sad to return to the PRNJ this week.... :(

You own A house in Tenn.   Do you have anything registered there?   Boat, Car Rv  if so why not just get your Tenn. Resident CCW

The Tenn liscense is recognized in PA. As they dont issue Non Res.

We have A house there with A registered Boat & Trailer, Plus our RV.

That will solve your question.

You would need to have your Tenn. DL also. When you get it, Your NJ DL will have A sticker applied to it stateing you also hold A Tenn. DL

Ahhhh. Ok, that makes sense. I rent the home presently, will be moving there in a couple years. I only go down there for 2-3 weeks a year to check up on the property, and fun time of course. :-)

I have FL, UT, AZ, CT, & ME non resident. None of which are honored in PA. I just open carry when I go to PA now instead, no permit necessary for that. And while inside the vehicle traveling into PA i can ccw with any one of my non resident permits. I will get Texas non resident soon, the catch to Texas is you have to take the class on Texas soil. That's the last non resident permit PA honors, unless you have NH. & the only way to get NH is to already have a permit from your home state.

need to get the paperwork, prints, and photo doen for FL CCW. Guess i should just make an appt at gunforhire. Is that where you guys went?

I took the "Multi-State CCW class" from the Quinton Sportsmen's Club, near Salem, NJ.  The next class is scheduled for Sat,11/8.  Based on the fee you pay, you can get up to 4 states:  FL, UT, AZ, and VA.  I did all but VA (since VA non-res is $100.00 for 5 years and the other permits covered me in VA anyway).  Note that the fee you pay for the class does *not* cover the application fees of the states themselves. But it does cover photos, fingerprint cards and Notary public fees, as well as the training, and all of that is done right on site at the class, for each state you wish to do. For FL, it also includes a live fire portion (BYO gun and ammo). 

I took the "Multi-State CCW class" from the Quinton Sportsmen's Club, near Salem, NJ.  The next class is scheduled for Sat,11/8.  Based on the fee you pay, you can get up to 4 states:  FL, UT, AZ, and VA.  I did all but VA (since VA non-res is $100.00 for 5 years and the others covered it).  Note that the fee you pay for the class does *not* cover the application fees of the states themselves. But it does cover photos, fingerprints and Notary public fees, as well as the training, and all of that is done right on site at the class, for each state you wish to do.

Appreciate the input, but I'm really looking for somebody i can make an appointment with to do the photos, notary, prints. I already have the pistol training cert so I just need the paperwork part without paying for the training a second time. maybe I will contact the club and see if there is a separate fee. im waiting to hear back from Gunforhire today

Appreciate the input, but I'm really looking for somebody i can make an appointment with to do the photos, notary, prints. I already have the pistol training cert so I just need the paperwork part without paying for the training a second time. maybe I will contact the club and see if there is a separate fee. im waiting to hear back from Gunforhire today

Well call them, and maybe they'll make an exception for you. But if it still works like I recall, they do the photos and fingerprints in "stages" while the lectures are going on, so you might have to be there all day. May not be your best option then.... :dontknow:

ok so for those of us that would like to get some ccw in other states, what's the first step?  I have to be honest, some of this get's a little confusing or it's just the kids are eating my brain away..ha

First, I'd go on the websites of the states that interest you for CCW and determine their requirements for a non-resident permit.

Here's Florida's site - Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Licensing Division

Here's Utah -  State of Utah - Dept. of Public Safety - Concealed Carry

And Arizona - Arizona Dept. of Public Safety - Concealed Carry permit.

All three will require that you show proof of traininig in concealed carry. So you would have to find a course that satisfies their requirements.

After that, you fill out the applications, take passport sized photos where required, get fingerprinted (all states require that for FBI inquiries, etc.), get the applications notarized, include the payment for the applications (FL is $112 for 7 years non-res, $51.00 aprox. for 5 years Utah Non-Res, etc, etc.).. AZ is also 5 years.  Submit all of that to the respective state agencies, and wait. :D Usually about 60-90 days.

The thing is, you have to get both the forms, and especially the FBI Fingerprint forms absolutely 100% correct, or they will ding you and it will be delayed. The CCW course you take will, hopefully, cover how to fill out the forms correctly.  The "shootersontarget.com" site (at Quinton Sportsmen's club) goes into precise detail on how to fill out all the forms, and makes sure you have the FBI fingerprint cards just right (there's a professional finger printer there to do the work).  There is also a Notary Public there to take care of notarizing the forms, and also take any required photos (AZ does not require photos, but does require two finger print cards - the other states I mentioned only require one). The course fee you pay shootersontarget.com covers all of the above pre-processing. It doesn't cover the actual fees to the state for the permits themselves. You have to include them in the application packet. 

Once you send them in, watch for the checks to clear or the credit card to be charged. At which point, figure 60-90 days thereafter.  In fact, for Florida, you can track it on line at the above website.  Save the "T" number that is part of your application. That's your ID number in the system. 

Hope this helps... :)

Regards,

HB

Rather easy, FL and AZ require at least 4hr of gun safety. Not specifically a CCW class.

I had already taken NRA basic pistol, so that covers the requirements for gun safety class.

I emailed or filled out request for Application from Fl and AZ (forget which one required you to email other had a link on their site.) I asked for extra print cards in case of mistakes at PD.

Went to my PD had my prints done for each. One of the apps required a Notary so I went to mailboxetc, paid $2 for that.

Enclosed a copy of NRA certificate and copies of required ID's and mailed them back w/ pament. I had a pic left over from my Utah class for Fl app. 

For Utah I took the Utah CCW class at Heritage guild, and they did the prints, pics, and they walk you thru application in class too. I mailed everything on my own.

I got them back

AZ-17 days

FL- 32 days

UT- 50 days 

This was back in beginning of 2013

I originally got mine for travel to PA but that gradually changed and few other places if needed. I don't travel much but nice to have if need be.

But mainly to build my portfolio of my credentials etc... Also overlapping reciprocities are good if things change on one.

So do you guys all travel a lot? Is that why you get these?

For the "opportunity" to travel if need be (and the reciprocity).  That said, I do spend a lot of time in FL, and I may be spending a lot more. So having the FL permit is an excellent thing.

Gfh can do all of that for you. I did exactly that with them cost $50.

did you call and set up a time or go during their florida ccw class?

I called, they told me when they would have someone in house that could do my prints. So i arrived during that time. Jimmy did my pictures and notary, they have all the paperwork there also. the only thing you have to add to the envelope is your check to the Florida Department of Agriculture, and the copy of your NRA basic pistol, or first steps, or NJ Hunter ED card. They make the copy of your certificate for you, just remember to bring it with you. It was pretty easy.

I know this has been mentioned here before, but just to reiterate - as long as NJ Hunter Ed is free (!) and lots of guys here already have their hunting licenses - NJ Hunter Ed card is apparently a sufficient proof of firearms training on its own for a FL CCW Permit, so if you have your yellow Hunter Ed card, you are pretty much good to go with FL permit. What you still need to do:

1) Request a fingerprint card from FL - they send it for free - and get fingerprinted at LEO (either your local PD or County Sheriff's office - doesn't really matter)

2) While you are waiting for the fingerprint card - download an application, fill it in and get it notarized with a notary public (I normally go to PNC Bank - they (as well as most of other banks) provide notary services for free for its clients)

3) Take a 2" by 2" picture (for $10 "professionally" at CVS/Walgreens or for ~$0.50 after taking a pic on your smartphone against a white wall and printing it out in a kiosk anywhere)

I'd say it's longer to explain this than to do this :) I am actually preparing all this stuff for my wife right now and it is VERY easy.