emptyshell

Utah and Florida CCW

For Florida don't forget to lightly print your name and date of birth on the back of the photograph

If using NRA training, make sure the instructors name and ID number are printed on the certificate, they do an online lookup using this info.

FYI... CT is a nice CCW to get as they are close. And it is available thru the mail... They required the NRA Basic Pistol class and you must have a CCW already form another State( Any State).

The NRA Basic class will qualify you to get FL, VA and AZ via mail so if you want to get CT you may as well take the NRA Basic class initially and not just a "CCW class". UT is nice to have but now that they no longer cover PA I would not bother to take the UT specific CCW class.

My local PD did my prints for free and I got the picture at CVS cost $8.

I know an NRA instructor who can do the class for $99 with min 3 students ;)

DD214 counts as training for Florida and AZ.

Yes, you can OC in PA using any carry license to cover you in the car - Except in Philly. You need reciprocity in Philly outside of your vehicle in public. You'd probably be OK pulling into somebody's driveway and going into their business/house but I've never looked into it. Public streets and property are a no-go for sure outside of your car unless to/from range etc.

RTSP in Randolph, or Gun for Hire Woodland park range.

Sorry, I meant the Multi-State CCW course where you can do the application for 4 states all at the same time (Utah, Florida, Virginia, and Arizona) for $230. 

http://shootersontarget.com/multi-state.html

Both RTSP and GFH are about $200 each (for Utah and Florida)

I know an NRA instructor who can do the class for $99 with min 3 students ;)

Does he go also assist with the CCW application process or are we on our own? 

You can do the Utah specific class there, then fill out all the other applications at GFH they will fingerprint, take your pictures and notery the paperwork for the other permits, all you would need is NRA basic pistol to go along with your applications. And the check for each states permit application fee (the utah fee is included in the price of the utah specific course) Florida accepts the NJ firearms hunter ed course as well instead of NRA basic pistol (that's free one Sunday morning out of your life once forever, also gives you access to the state ranges with a valid annual hunting license should you choose to purchase one) I would recommend NRA basic pistol anyway if you haven't already taken it, it's a smart idea for any gun owner to sit in on that class regardless of using it for a CCW app or not. I'm sure it's a few bucks for the additional print cards, pictures, and notery though. Call them and ask they won't bite through the phone lol. I know they have all the permit application packets there on hand as well. And yes they will help you fill out all the forms on premises. You should definitely read the fine print on a $230 class for everything I doubt that includes the application fees for each state or a live fire requirement class for the states that mandate it.

Edit: I read the fine print on your link that includes live fire without ammo, but does not include the cost of each states application fees. I know Florida is about $114.00 to the department of agriculture alone. Not sure what VA, and AZ fees are.

Check the honored states for Florida, AZ, and Utah. Unless you need a state Utah or AZ has that FL doesn't (there are only a few), go with FL. FL does NOT accept non-res permits from other states (such as a Utah or AZ permit), so as a Jersey person you can only carry there under FL permit. I think 99% of people in Jersey are more likely to go to FL for whatever reason than the two or three states covered by Utah/AZ. Go check the difference at handgunlaw.us.

Utah is a great permit and I respect the guys that put in their time and money to instruct for it. I just think FL is usually better for NJ people.

You can do the Utah specific class there, then fill out all the other applications at GFH they will fingerprint, take your pictures and notery the paperwork for the other permits, all you would need is NRA basic pistol to go along with your applications. And the check for each states permit application fee (the utah fee is included in the price of the utah specific course) Florida accepts the NJ firearms hunter ed course as well instead of NRA basic pistol (that's free one Sunday morning out of your life once forever, also gives you access to the state ranges with a valid annual hunting license should you choose to purchase one) I would recommend NRA basic pistol anyway if you haven't already taken it, it's a smart idea for any gun owner to sit in on that class regardless of using it for a CCW app or not. I'm sure it's a few bucks for the additional print cards, pictures, and notery though. Call them and ask they won't bite through the phone lol. I know they have all the permit application packets there on hand as well. And yes they will help you fill out all the forms on premises. You should definitely read the fine print on a $230 class for everything I doubt that includes the application fees for each state or a live fire requirement class for the states that mandate it. Edit: I read the fine print on your link that includes live fire without ammo, but does not include the cost of each states application fees. I know Florida is about $114.00 to the department of agriculture alone. Not sure what VA, and AZ fees are.

Do you know how long you have between getting UT and applying for FL without having to go through the instruction again? My UT is about 16 months old. At the time I took the class in Easton it was unclear to me that all I needed to do was fill out another couple of forms and hand over some $$ to get FL as well.

Do you know how long you have between getting UT and applying for FL without having to go through the instruction again? My UT is about 16 months old. At the time I took the class in Easton it was unclear to me that all I needed to do was fill out another couple of forms and hand over some $$ to get FL as well.

The instruction is different for each permit. Utah class is only good for Utah permit. Florida requires some type of firearm safety course including live fire. Utah class has no live fire, so it doesn't count towards your Florida.

Actually, FL does not strictly "demand" live fire portion (YES, YES, I know what is written in FL law, but I'm just speaking practice - I had a course WITHOUT live fire, I asked the instructor several times if it is fine for FL, he said yes and he had never seen any of his students denied FL permit with his certificate. I was no exception - permit granted).

Check the honored states for Florida, AZ, and Utah. Unless you need a state Utah or AZ has that FL doesn't (there are only a few), go with FL. FL does NOT accept non-res permits from other states (such as a Utah or AZ permit), so as a Jersey person you can only carry there under FL permit. I think 99% of people in Jersey are more likely to go to FL for whatever reason than the two or three states covered by Utah/AZ. Go check the difference at handgunlaw.us. Utah is a great permit and I respect the guys that put in their time and money to instruct for it. I just think FL is usually better for NJ people.

I counted 32 states for UT and 31 for FL. I guess it comes down to whether you're more likely to visit FL and NM (FL permit) or the Pacific Northwest (UT permit).

Actually, FL does not strictly "demand" live fire portion (YES, YES, I know what is written in FL law, but I'm just speaking practice - I had a course WITHOUT live fire, I asked the instructor several times if it is fine for FL, he said yes and he had never seen any of his students denied FL permit with his certificate. I was no exception - permit granted).

So if I went back to Heritage Guild and jumped through some hoops I could get FL? If they determined I needed live fire could I do it then and there?

So if I went back to Heritage Guild and jumped through some hoops I could get FL? If they determined I needed live fire could I do it then and there?

In fact, the list of documents that can be used as an "accepted proof of firearm experience" for Florida CCW permit is so broad that you can probably use any of published scoresheets for USPSA/IDPA/steel competition with your name in it as a "proof of participation in an organized shooting competition" that should also work.

We submitted Florida docs for my wife in their Miami Dade office 2 weeks ago - she had her Hunter Ed card from NJ. In fact this card *technically* does not meet FL requirements (it does not clearly state the name of the instructor, at least mine and hers), but nobody really cares. They just see the word "firearms" and name of the person and give it GTG...

(Small disclaimer: I definitely don't want to be blamed if something does not work the same way with others, but I just share our experience. As usual, YMMV) :-)

heritage doesn't offer FL.

If you have the requirements you fill out paperwork yourself, get your prints done, get notarized and send it in.

you just have to request print cards from florida. there is a identical thread running about this also with links

Was very easy when I did mine, I already had NRA basic pistol from before

Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Since I haven't been to any NRA classes, or Hunter Ed Courses I'm taking the GFH Florida CCW course since the price includes the NRA First Steps Pistol Cert and the Florida Non-res CCW application payment. 

I also requested VA, AZ and CT application packets. VA and AZ I can fill out at the same time as FL, and CT i'll have filled out but wont send it out until either FL, AZ, or VA come back..  

Here are some useful links for application packets..

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

$100 permit fee

$60 permit fee

Call 860-685-8494 to request a packet for CT
$70 permit fee

Edit: 

Just realized the GFH Course doesn't cover the Application Fee....

Thanks for the great information to all. I'll do this between the big holidays. I took the second-from-bottom NRA class three years ago, which included shooting. I also have a hunter's license although I never took the class because in 1990 I was grandfathered in from NY. I'll throw the kitchen sink at them and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Since I haven't been to any NRA classes, or Hunter Ed Courses I'm taking the GFH Florida CCW course since the price includes the NRA First Steps Pistol Cert and the Florida Non-res CCW application payment. 

I also requested VA, AZ and CT application packets. VA and AZ I can fill out at the same time as FL, and CT i'll have filled out but wont send it out until either FL, AZ, or VA come back..  

Here are some useful links for application packets..

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

$100 permit fee

$60 permit fee

Call 860-685-8494 to request a packet for CT
$70 permit fee

I just checked on USACARRY.com and it appears that VA and NM don't give me anything that FL and UT don't. CT is just, well, CT. Am I missing something?

I just checked on USACARRY.com and it appears that VA and NM don't give me anything that FL and UT don't. CT is just, well, CT. Am I missing something?

I'm getting AZ instead of UT since the requirements for AZ are similar to FL. Saves me from having to go through the Utah Class

CT because like Jfoster99 said, they are close and the application process and requirements are also similar to FL. Another easy one to get and its a state not covered by FL or AZ. My wife also likes to go there for weekend getaways...

VA i really don't need, but hey.. if i can fill the application out at the same time as FL and have it come back faster, i'll be that much closer to getting CT. 

I have FL, UT, AZ, CT, & ME non resident. None of which are honored in PA. I just open carry when I go to PA now instead, no permit necessary for that. And while inside the vehicle traveling into PA i can ccw with any one of my non resident permits. I will get Texas non resident soon, the catch to Texas is you have to take the class on Texas soil. That's the last non resident permit PA honors, unless you have NH. & the only way to get NH is to already have a permit from your home state.

Just to clarify..AZ NR can still carry in the car in PA?..just not CCW on person due to AG not reciprocating anymore with AZ and others.

Just to clarify..AZ NR can still carry in the car in PA?..just not CCW on person due to AG not reciprocating anymore with AZ and others.

Actually PA honors a CCW permit from ANY state while inside of a vehicle, resident or non resident. just don't get out of the car carrying it unless it's open, and not in Philthy.