Pew Pew Plates

Good experience gone bad at RTSP - Resolved!

So...

My girlfriend had three permits to burn and last night we headed over to RTSP to browse.  We know we can buy stuff cheaper via "small time" FFLs, but we wanted to support a local business.

This was my first time at the RTSP facility.  The staff were great!  Helpful, friendly, patient, professional.  The store was clean, organized, well stocked.  What more could you ask for?

So, my girlfriend settled on the S&W Sheild in 9mm for a carry gun and also got pretty close to deciding what her second permit will go towards in a month.  So she buys it.  Great, so far!

Then we go to use the range to try out her new firearm and for me to shoot one of mine that I brought as well.  The range is clean, safe, well ventilated, friendly RO's that aren't pricks.  We paid a hefty $37 for one port (shared) for an hour.  

Now the ugly... 15 minutes into our session they make a 15 minutes until closing announcement.  WTF?  I tell the RO that we paid for an hour and nobody told us that we weren't getting an hour.  He was surprised and told me while he could alert the staff of their mess-up in not telling us this, he nor the range could do anything like a refund or a credit or anything.  

So, we paid $37 for one port for a half hour.  And even after buying a gun, RTSP was unwilling to make right.  Not a great first impression and it may well be the last impression as I will find it hard to patronize a store that does that to customers.  

Yet another example of dumb, dumb, dumb...

All it would have taken was an "Oops; our mistake....here's a voucher for a free hour" and you'd have been happy.  AND it costs the range nothing! 

I walked into the RTSP even though I knew that I would pay a premium price; they are a quality range with an exceptional amount of inventory and of course had what I wanted in stock. With my permit in hand, I waited 5 minutes while there were people behind counter that looked like they weren't doing anything (just standing there) and one salesperson was just casually chatting with a customer.  The ones not doing anything could of at least acknowledged me even if it wasn't their job to help me.  They could have said, "He'll be right with you, or something like that.  That would have maybe clued the other salesman that I was waiting.  But nothing.  I gave it exactly 5 minutes listening to a ridiculous conversation that had nothing to do with guns, the sale of guns, buying a gun or ammo, hunting, the Second Amendment, Range Policies, etc. and then I walked out and have not been back.  And, the funny thing was that once I left, a manager/owner came out to the parking lot to talk with me as I was getting in my car to find out what had happened.  He (I think his name was Pete) had been paying enough attention to see me leave, frustrated, but not enough to assist me when I was standing there.  As GTO Nut said, he seemed to go out of his way to make it right.  He apologized and didn't want me leaving that way.  Kudos.  However, they lost a sale and I left.  I expected better service to begin with, especially when I am paying a premium for the goods (at least $25 more than other shops in the area, except for the one that also tacks on an additional "hidden" shipping charge).   That one brief experience has certainly lost them business and I have not been back...   I had had the permit in hand (they would know what that was) and I had that glow of someone about to buy a new handgun only to leave in frustration. 

F that place. There's better ranges/shops around here where you'll get a decent price and treated with respect. AND with a goof up like that they'd make it right in a heartbeat. Personally I'd have demanded a refund or atleast a coupon for another range hour, I wouldn't have left without something and I'd make a scene. I give you money and you give me nothing for it? lol, not happening

The clerk I am sure made a bad judgement call, as Troy mentioned if you call one of the owners (Brad, Pete or Rick) I am fairly certain they will take care of this for you.  Sorry your otherwise good experience was tainted but I am certain they will fix this for you.

Not sure how you paid $37 for a port either.  Are you including the price for targets in that as well?  I believe a port for non-members is $20 an hour plus $10 for an additonal person, so even with tax it should have only been $32.10

This amuses me. I find it interesting what people think is appropriate levels of customer support, and not because I even disagree but because there generally a massive disconnect between the modern expectations and traditional gun shop attitudes.

It is funny.  I recall going to a gun shop in Rockaway NJ (forget the name) but its tucked away in the back of a building.  An old man behind the counter growled at me "what do you want".  I told him I was just looking and he made some comment.  As I browsed the store I could just feel the eyes on me assuming I was going to steal something.  No exactly the type place I would want to do business.  It was the stereotypical old style gun shop.

EVERYONE SUCKS!!! I should have opened a bagel store!!!  

That said, sounds like Glen got screwed! Sounds like Underdog got screwed!  AnthonyC is probably right too!

Sooooooo, Troy is right also! 

Owners can't be everywhere, I take full responsibility for my employees and Glen you and your GF are welcome back for a full hour on me.  Underdog, not really sure that it was me that came out after you, but I think not.  Anyway, you should have walked out, hell I would have walked out to.  Our employees have a 3 strike rule.  3 complaints and you are fired.  We try to stress customer service to them, but sometimes you just can't get through to them.

As far as pricing, we are 20% over cost on firearms and members get 5% off of that and 1% cash back each month.

I have made it my mission to nip this type of stuff in the bud early.  Please take my apology and stop into see me next time any of you are around, as I have stated in the past I am very open about this business, no secret pricing, hidden fees or highbrow BS.

Rant over.

It is funny.  I recall going to a gun shop in Rockaway NJ (forget the name) but its tucked away in the back of a building.  An old man behind the counter growled at me "what do you want".  I told him I was just looking and he made some comment.  As I browsed the store I could just feel the eyes on me assuming I was going to steal something.  No exactly the type place I would want to do business.  It was the stereotypical old style gun shop.

Silver Bullet ...... I can walk to the place....  

I would not give that racist a dime of my money.....

I could tell you stories about an unhealthy relationship they have with a Sussex Cty  shop.  Not in public.  PM if you want to hear the dirt!

Tell me this is not great customer service.  A complaint is written on an online message board and less than one hour the owner has resolved the issue.  It would be great if all businesses were that responsive.

That schmuck, Frank, took my money to hold a gun because I had to wait the full 30 days to purchase it.  It was the end window for a permit that had already been renewed.  I lined it up so I could get it within the 2 or 3 day window.  He went and sold it to someone else and no other shop had it in stock.  Of course he gave me my money back, but I lost the use of the permit.  When I told him about it, he said, oh, you can just renew it, and then when I told him it couldn't be renewed, he said, Oh Well.  He should have at least offered me a good deal on something else he had in stock.  He does appear to be racist, and he seems to only cater to LEOS, and unless you are going to spend at least $700 on a gun, he really doesn't have the time for you.   I would never give him another dime.  And, if he was a veteran, I would still thank him for his service.  I bought my first firearm from him and had given him follow-up business before this incident. 

It amazes me how many gun shops screw up things with their customers.   Not only do they lose the sale of guns, they lose the sale of ammo, targets, bags, arrows, etc.

wow, I remember my 1st trip to RTSP looking to buy a .45, maybe a 1911 style.   I was shown just about ALL the handguns in the case (im a PITA).  no attitude, no pressure, etc.  I was even given a personal tour of the facilities, etc.  Since i dont have a 45 (or shoot em regularly), I was suggested to rent them before buying.  My permits should be in shortly and have a decison to make.  i will be back, esp for BAGELS!!

Ive been working in retail or with customers for half my life. If theres one thing ive learned its that noone can be on 100% of the time. We all try but it dosnt always work.thatt being said its a verry small population who can try and seek out a problem, react to it and try and make good on it, and for that kudos are due.

I wish i could say ive never messed up with a customer, but even as a key holding supervisor im not perfect.

Rtsp has been good to me the last few years, and from ny standpoint more importantly to my wife and father, all of whom are members. There are closer options, and i might not be able to get out there as often as i wish, but i do when i can.

Edit: upon seeing the post above me ive handled many things there and spent much time with zero pressure

Topher, sorry to here about your bad experience in 2012 when we first opened.  I can tell you that there were and still are a lot of growing pains in a business like this. We surely are not in the business of trying to offend customers and for that I apologize.  I sure think that we have matured as a business over the past couple of years and I would really like for you to stop up one day, as my guest, and give it a redo. Feel free to PM me. thanks