Heavyopp

Blackhorn 209 --- Source in NJ?

I've seen it at Simon Peters up in Sussex County on Rt. 206 and several other venues.  Cabela's has it on the shelf most times.  Solomons in Farmingdale might have it too Jer.  

I can loan you some REAL black powder for your muzzleloader if you're almost "dry".

Dave

Dave --  I have a jug of pyrodex but I want to try out the blackhorn --  Just setting up a new T/C encore with a bergara barrel .50 cal for hunting

Haven't run a front stuffer for almost 20 years -- still have all the gear but not sure what all this modern muzzleloading is about...

Just seems like there too many choices now -- Used to be a 20 pack of maxi balls, some pyro, and go out and shoot

Just reading thru the sabot, bullet crap makes me dizzy 

Anyway wanted to get some BH 209 so I don't need to do so much cleaning while figuring out what load works

Jer,

Remember that "modern muzzleloaders" exist only to lengthen the "traditional" season, even though they're the FARTHEST thing from either traditional or muzzleloading, lol!  

Guns that use sabots are FOUR shot guns:  After (4) shots, there's enough melted plastic in the grooves and on top of the lands to keep the 5th sabot from being seated upon the charge!

Blackhorn 209 and other "miracle powders" require just as much cleaning as regular black powder and they're often more "sales hype" than anything else.  There's no such thing as a clean-burning black powder substitute.  Just another "big lie" to sell shit at inflated prices.  Especially in pellet form.  In fact, it's been proven that the new substitutes are great at luring folks into a false sense of security w/ regards to cleaning practices, which results in rust pitting that's actually WORSE than simply using the less expensive regular black powder.  Pawn Shops are filled with used rifles that have lost their accuracy due to melted plastic from sabots as well as rust pitting due to poor cleaning practices.  TANSTAAFL, lol!

Once a gun fires plastic sabots, a plastic cleaner is called for.  Formulas such as Shooter's Choice (and others) say right on the bottle that you can use them for "plastic shotgun wads", which is why I recommend it for cleaning the plastic out of the bore AFTER you do a regular "black powder type cleaning" w/ black powder solvents like Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine (available thru Lyman in Middletown, CT.).  Shooter's Choice and aggressive brushing/soaking will remove the hidden plastic and the gun will shoot great groups again!

Soft lead Maxi-Balls, when placed on top of a felt wad to seal the gases from a condition known as "blow-by", also provide additional lube to the bore.  This lube keeps the fouling soft and enables you to shoot an entire box of bullets w/o a loading problem due to melted plastic.  One spit-patch every half-dozen shots keeps the fouling from building-up no matter the powder of choice. 

A dead deer is a DEAD DEER, technology and advertising be damned, lol!  If you need anything else or wish to meet-up at the range or borrow some Maxi's or cleaner, wads, powder, etc., just ask.  If I don't see ya, have a safe and enjoyable hunt (and maybe take the boy hunting with ya--to pass along the tradition!). 

Dave

I am aware of the plastic sabot issues --  Actually been trying to stay away from them -- your right -- screw the $1+ per bullet barnes/hornady/solid copper slug and just shoot lead

You've been doing it for years -- What kind of accuracy will a maxi give at 200 yards? How about over 200?  We're on a farm in south brunswick -- set up in the middle and you can shoot 200 yards in 3 directions

I was thinking the BH209 to keep in between shot cleaning down to a minimum -- I know I have to clean after no matter what -- supposedly I can use hoppes #9 on the BH instead of soap/hot water -- just like a smokeless cleaning

We've been bowhunting every sunday since the season started -- Jake put the fire back into me about hunting -- I had an 18 year "break" -- It's all his fault -- we've both harvested does this year 

20140917_200550_zps512714f8.jpg

I've never shot them from 200 yards.  Since OB's farthest distance is 100 yards.  They're supposed to be even better with a fast twist barrel (like in an inline).  I've won competitions with 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls shot with my "48-Twist" percussion side-lock using open, primitive iron sights.  Have even managed to get 3 holes touching at 100 yards.  They don't go far with a 1/2" HOLE thru and thru, lol!

Glad to see Jake is a chip off the Old Block!  Keep up the great work Jer!

I've used blackhorn and I like it. its a little less smoke at the shot and does clean up a little easier but I think powder/gun/bullet still has to be tweaked and researched by the shooter to see what works best in your gun when it comes to accuracy. its not a shortcut for accuracy. marketing would lead you to believe so but its not the case.

I've never tried the pellets b/c I've seen a couple interesting situations with them at ranges so I've chosen to not use them. those situations may have been a shooter issue rather than a pellet issue but for now I'll pass.  lol.  

pyrodex in my T/C White Mountain Carbine and blackhorn in my T/C Stainless Encore. 275gr T/C maxi hunter in front of 80gr of pyrodex in the WMC and 80gr of BH behind 

a T/C cheapshot 250gr all lead saboted bullet. no need for a jacketed bullet on deer in this general area. I get pass thrus 9 out of 10 times.  most deer will less than 150lb and by big game standards they are thin skinned and on the small side.

Nick 

I get the find what the gun likes part -- Just finding Bh209 local is the challenge --  If I order I'll order a little quantity just to lessen the hazmat per jug --  I'm sure I could sell it if my gun doesn't like it

Right now I don't even have the barrel -- I'm setting up a stainless encore too -- Barrel and stock are lost in the mail -- so much for 2 day priority shipping...

If it comes today I'm hoping to get out to OB sunday morning -- I know the black powder guys should be there and the refresher course they will give me will be welcome

Tomorrow is the Annual Novelty Shoot and the Turkey Shoot.  Pistols will be first, and we'll be up close pumpin' LEAD into B-27's with our Smokewagons, lol!

No 100 yard shooting is scheduled for the League tomorrow.  After our match is over, it's your range for the 100 yard sight-in.

Be glad to help in any way possible Jer.  See ya tomorrow morning!

Dave

Be glad to help in any way possible Jer.  See ya tomorrow morning!

Dave

Dave -- that's 1 thing I'm 100% sure about --

I am not sure if I'm going to make it out tomorrow -- Barrel is here but I haven't cleaned the encore frame or barrel  or mounted the scope and I don't want to rush it --

Jer