mustang69

I've been Glocked! Any "must have" mods?

Ok, so I finally broke down and bought my first Glock, a G19 Gen4.  After resisting for years I finally decided I couldn't consider the handguns I own to be a collection until I added one.  That, and I had a permit and a GSSF coupon burning a hole in my pocket.  It came down to the G19 or a G42 and, since I won't be able to carry until I leave the state (2 years or so) and the LGS I went to didn't have the G42 blue label, it wasn't a tough decision.

I've cleaned it and studied it, and read the manual.  All that done, I'm wondering if there are any "must have" mods.  Researching the platform it seems like a few things stand out:

The sights from Glock are plastic.  The "dot in a bucket" sight picture seems to be a love/hate thing.  I'm fine with it, but how are they in low light conditions?

The slide release seems to be another common part to swap out.  Does anyone have experience with an alternative?

I'm fine with the mag release and trigger pull so not looking to modify these.  I'm not really into making purely cosmetic changes on it.  Am I missing anything? 

I know, pictures, but it looks like every other unmodified Glock.   :)

Thanks

The one thing that should be mandatory to change out is the sights. The OEM plastic ones are absolute garbage. Pretty much everything else is optional.

This, if you plan on using a holster with it at all, you will see the front sight get messed up quickly. Thats all I have done to my gen4 19.

I forget where, but I read an article where I believe a Glock rep said since everyone wants different sights, Glocks ship with "inexpensive but functional" ones to keep cost down - because everyone changes them anyway.

That said, the ones on my 34 were adequate for a few months; if you're not competing, wait until you find exactly what you want.

I also just got my G19.....

Best out of the box pistol I have shot.....

I am doing..................... NOTHING to it.... 

You obviously haven't purchased a CZ yet..... :)

Took my cousin with me to EFGA a few weeks ago.  Didn't even know is he had a gun.  Turns out he has a Glock.  I tried his and honestly it wasn't too bad.  He tried all mine.  He shot the GP100 quite a bit.  Toward the end of our range visit he said he never thought about purchasing a revolver but that he really enjoyed it more than he thought he would. 

After shooting my AR he said, "I gotta get one of these!". 

The one thing that should be mandatory to change out is the sights. The OEM plastic ones are absolute garbage. Pretty much everything else is optional.

This^^^

According to Glock, the plastic sites that come standard are merely placeholders for aftermarket sites. Since sight preferences are so subjective and vary wildly by users, Glock just installs the plastic sights so the user can replace them with their preferred model.

Get a quality holster, a bunch of ammo, and a quality training course from a reputable trainer.

/thread

In addition to the sights, my first upgrade was a KKM barrel in my G35 which has a much better supported chamber. This is important only if you plan to reload the cases that are shot through it. The stock barrel will be fine accuracy wise.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

If your not going to use it for competition then I see no need to change anything. Shoot the crap out of it then make an educated assessment on what you like and what you don't and go from there.

There are no mandatory mods it will work right out if the box. If you are going to swap sights don't pay Glock $57 you can do them yourself in 10 minutes!!

Yeah..... well now all the above people have me thinking about the plastic sights :facepalm:

i think it's a well known problem that they fall out or break relatively easy if you do any training with them.  one handed manipulation drills seem to be the death of them.  that was one reason i replaced them.  as a range only gun, where you are just going to/from the range its not that big of an issue.   the real reason i did was i cannot stand how busy the ball and bucket look.  especially since to line up the front sights correctly, half the ball gets cut off.  if you can see the whole ball, you are shooting high most likely.  when you can get a set of ameriglo kyle defoor sights for $36 (if you don't need night sights) it's not a huge investment but it is a huge improvement.  

For me, the Glock 19 G4 is probably the best all around 9mm. I shoot it most often at the range. My recommendations to do's are:

Extended slide catch

3.5# trigger connecter

Better sights

Maybe the $0.25 trigger job (which is simply just polishing the internals)

Anything else is overkill IMHO.

For me, the Glock 19 G4 is probably the best all around 9mm. I shoot it most often at the range. My recommendations to do's are:

Extended slide catch

3.5# trigger connecter

Better sights

Maybe the $0.25 trigger job (which is simply just polishing the internals)

Anything else is overkill IMHO.

do you release with the slide catch or do you use the extended catch only to lock the slide back?

Congrats, Glock 19 is probably the best gun I have overall. It's not the smallest, it's not the most accurate, it's not the cheapest one in the market, but as I honestly mentioned numerous times, if SHTF tomorrow, Glock 19 will be my ultimate weapon of choice.

And I seriously think that you can't just have ONE Glock :) I recently purchased Glock 26 and now looking for full-size 17/22 or longer 34/35 (and I am almost sure I'll get both at some point).

Congrats, Glock 19 is probably the best gun I have overall. It's not the smallest, it's not the most accurate, it's not the cheapest one in the market, but as I honestly mentioned numerous times, if SHTF tomorrow, Glock 19 will be my ultimate weapon of choice.

And I seriously think that you can't just have ONE Glock :) I recently purchased Glock 26 and now looking for full-size 17/22 or longer 34/35 (and I am almost sure I'll get both at some point).

agreed.  i want/need all 4 9mm glocks.  1 each at a minimum.  

do you release with the slide catch or do you use the extended catch only to lock the slide back?

I release the slide about 50/50 with side catch and manually. The slight protrusion of the extended slide catch really does makes a difference.

I also have a gen 4. I have done nothing to it but shot the pooh out the thing. I have had it since February and have put easily 1800 rounds through it at GFH and other classes. Get an ammo can load it with 640 rounds and go to work on it. ENJOY! Its wearing pretty good and I am just now getting a glock smile on the barrel.