njluger

Best Way into NYC During TCS NYC Marathon this Sunday?

I'm planning to go into NYC tomorrow (Nov 2) to watch a friend run in the Marathon. Not looking forward to the crowds nor the traffic, but I want to be there to support him when he finishes. I've never been in the city during an event this size so right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way in. Travelling from Somerset County (Bridgewater area). Some options I'm thinking of:

1) Driving to Secaucus, park at the station and take NJ Transit in the rest of the way

2) Forget driving and take NJ Transit (train) from New Brunswick all the way to Penn Station

3) Drive to Jersey City or Weekhawken, park, and take ferry over

I'm planning to take the family along as well (2 kids <5 yrs). Any advice?

Thanks!

I'd take #2. A lot of people are going to be driving to the coast of Jersey and taking public transportation over to NYC. Getting out of Jersey City will be hell, getting out of Secaucus will be better but why not just jump on the train after a long day and not have to worry about traffic till your home.

Option 2 would be how I go but from Bridgewater, there's always the Staten Island Ferry since you could hop on 287 and shoot on over.  Granted I've not been over there in 15 years, but on a weekend it was never busy.  The ferry is free and runs 24/7

Option 2 would be how I go but from Bridgewater, there's always the Staten Island Ferry since you could hop on 287 and shoot on over.  Granted I've not been over there in 15 years, but on a weekend it was never busy.  The ferry is free and runs 24/7

Um - you do realize Staten Island is a clusterfudge - the Marathon starts in Staten Island...  And while the ferry is free, you still have to pay the Goethals or Outer Bridge toll... 

Um - you do realize Staten Island is a clusterfudge - the Marathon starts in Staten Island...  And while the ferry is free, you still have to pay the Goethals or Outer Bridge toll... 

Didn't realize it started there.    In the mid 90s, we'd drive over and meet friends there and catch the ferry into Manhattan.  On the weekends it wasn't that bad.

For next year there's a running club--Essex Running  Club--that charters a bus to Manhattan. The bus leaves Montclair at 9:00 AM and leaves NY at 5:00PM. Cost is $35.00. Did that a couple years ago and worked out great.

It's not cheap but you don't have to worry about a thing.

http://www.essexrunning.org/2014/07/29/nyc-marathon-bus/

You must be very young, energetic, optimistic. I'm jealous.

But -- pardon the wet blanket -- why would anyone voluntarily go to Manhattan on that day? Do you realize what the exodus will be like, as in trying to catch a train or bus out of NYC at 5pm or whenever your friend finishes? Do you know what the finish line is like in terms of crowds?

What will you do when your kids get cold, tired, hungry and have to poop?

Thanks everyone for sharing their ideas. I ended up going in, but left the kids at home with the grandparents - definitely a good move as the area for spectators really isn't setup for anything other than standing on the side of the street - no bathrooms or areas to warm up. For those interested, I ended up driving to Jersey City and somehow found on-street parking right across from the Grove St PATH station. Took the PATH up to 33rd St. Really wasn't that crowded on the way in the morning.

The race was pretty cool to see with lots of International racers from all over the world and the energy of the crowd cheering them on is something you don't get from watching the event on TV. Also, seeing the NYPD in full force was pretty neat. I always like see the guys who carry the S&W 5946 (usually it's the older guys carrying them around). Wonder how they keep these fielded? I assume S&W still has a production line for the size of business it gets from agency purchases of it's 3rd gen autoloaders.

The way back wasn't too bad either. Took the 1 train down from Columbus Circle to Christopher St and hopped on the PATH. Back at the car in JC in about 20 min. Toasted my buddies 4:20 finish (1st full marathon) at the Biergarten in JC before driving home. All in all a good day!

I did the same thing but parked at Jersey City FD and walked through the Newport Mall to the path. Wasn't crowded at all.

Thanks everyone for sharing their ideas. I ended up going in, but left the kids at home with the grandparents - definitely a good move as the area for spectators really isn't setup for anything other than standing on the side of the street - no bathrooms or areas to warm up. For those interested, I ended up driving to Jersey City and somehow found on-street parking right across from the Grove St PATH station. Took the PATH up to 33rd St. Really wasn't that crowded on the way in the morning.

The race was pretty cool to see with lots of International racers from all over the world and the energy of the crowd cheering them on is something you don't get from watching the event on TV. Also, seeing the NYPD in full force was pretty neat. I always like see the guys who carry the S&W 5946 (usually it's the older guys carrying them around). Wonder how they keep these fielded? I assume S&W still has a production line for the size of business it gets from agency purchases of it's 3rd gen autoloaders.

The way back wasn't too bad either. Took the 1 train down from Columbus Circle to Christopher St and hopped on the PATH. Back at the car in JC in about 20 min. Toasted my buddies 4:20 finish (1st full marathon) at the Biergarten in JC before driving home. All in all a good day!