RecessedFilter

A productive Sunday - built a gun rack

I put this together for a friend today. My usual Sundays consist of being busy during the day but I like to be home by late afternoon to relax all night in preparation for work on Monday.

It was really windy but it was a nice fall day sipping Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout outside on the deck. I was getting anxious and in talking decided to build something and came up with a gun rack. It gave me practice for the future when I plan to make larger and more physically appealing gun racks (sanded/stained wood) for myself and other friends when I have more time and resources. Had some random wood laying around so I sketched up a crappy drawing of it and went to town. The plan was to make it as efficient as possible in between the wall and the safes so instead of a single rack line where only 8-10 guns would fit, I decided to come out a bit to use the small space to house as many guns as possible. I could have come out farther to fit more guns in each arm but 3 seemed to work well as it was flush to the outside of the safe as well. All I had was a couple hours, a drill and circular saw so I couldn't make it that pretty but it's plain and simple and does the job well.

Surprisingly finding the studs in the wall to mount the horizontal 2x4 was the biggest problem I had. Apparently the carpenter was drunk when framing this wall out - some were 16''OC, then 14''OC, etc. Overall, it was fairly easy to make. The step that took the most time was figuring out the specific measurements for the rifles (i.e. - space between each hole, space between each 3-hole rack, etc).

Here are a couple pics:

post-2200-0-65281400-1414983221_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-25579700-1414983292_thumb.jpg

it is a great concept but also a patent infringement. j/k.... very simular to one I helped build yrs ago.That one used cabinet grade plywood (he wasnt housing a platoon of mosins)and we lined all the edges with strips of thin cork and built it on a platform that had heavy duty drawers on castors to roll out from under. And like yours it was conceived with a few brews too lol. You do have your mosins in chronilogical order right?

Yeah, he loves Mosin's just as much as I do. That is only part of his collection, it's very impressive. The good thing is when he 'thins the herd' every now and then, I am right there waiting! 

I already have plans to make another rack but I need to sketch them out and look at some specifications for it. It would be a 'concealment' type rack that's hidden behind a normal-looking fake wall or something. If I ever get around to doing it, I will make sure to post it up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.