Teky0101

Inexpensive and Bright LED Bulbs?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into switching our traditional light bulbs with new low watt LED bulbs. However, some of the bulbs I have looked at can be quite pricy. I was wondering if anyone know of a good place to obtain regular 100w LED replacement bulbs and at least 65w high hat replacements bulbs perfably in a daylight bulb at a reasonable price? Is there any companies who have these bulbs at a good price online? We have been purchasing them locally at Home Depot for around $21 dollars for the 100w and at BJS for $7 per bulb for the high hats. Thank you for any help you can provide.

6" Cree LED replacement high hat units. $14 a pop at Depot last week. These regular are like over 30. Buy them all now while you can.

Whoops. I just read you want just the bulb. The above is a whole retrofit unit. What I love about the retrofit unit is that it makes a complete air seal to the ceiling. No more leaky high hats.

Back in April I bought 12 LED bulb for a huge hanging light fixture with Candelabra bulbs at Costco. Previously I had 12 60 watt bulbs in it (720 watts), I am now using about 72 watts total and it is brighter and they look just like nice clear candelabra bulbs when lit. Really amazing. While they cost me about $5 or $6 each, they will pay for themselves in under 8 months based on the usage this fixture gets each day (they go on sale every once in a while and the three pack is $16 or $18 when on sale). Amazing.

15024514129_28d3cc6453_c_d.jpg

LED, Cheap and Bright, you get to pick 2, the third choice is the opposite.

Most LED bulbs with  a standard E27 screw in base, simply don't have the same lumens that a halogen or incandescent bulb have.

That said, I added an LED outdoor lighting fixture on the outside of my house.  It's in a spot where I really just wanted to light up below, but any additional light into the yard was a bonus.  I did a bit of research and bought one of these Defiant 180 degree outdoor white LED blade motion security lights from Home Depot.  It was $139 bucks.

When it got dark and I turned it on, my entire yard was lit up like I had fired up a pair of Kleig lights.  Holy crap is that thing bright.  It's WAY brighter than a pair of 150 watt Incandescents.   You can't even look at the thing, it's like I mounted a pair of mini suns on the side of the house, heh.  

I ended up picking up Phillips 65w replacement high hat LED bulbs from Home Depot for around $7 a bulb. I thought that was a pretty good price.

Are those bright enough for high hats?  I typically have 150 watt bulbs in my high hats, so this sounds not bright enough and I have yet to see bigger ones.

I was frequenting Walmart and once in a while I was finding 40 Watt and 60 Watt for $2 each. Also, Home Depot in PA had a PECO deal where 60 Watt were $1.96 each. I picked up a bunch. Lowes has 40 Watt dimmable for $3.48 each. However, the 75 and 100 watt have not come down yet---they're $12-$16 (minimum). I switched over to all 60 watt in mt house (8.5 watts each) because I hated the look of the swirly bulbs plus they were 13 watts each for the same output. LED are instant on and look like a regular bulb.

However, the main reason besides saving on energy costs are when I use my generator, I could have 20 lights on in the house and use between 120-170 watts!!! I don't even have to think about the drain on a 7500 Kw generator. Saves power for heat, stove, toaster, etc.

My problem with any non incandescent lamp is the ability to dim it. Almost every circuit in my home that controls lighting has a dimmer.. I'm a mood lighting snob and must have control over intensity of the lamp. 

I have yet to find any dimmer safe LED bulbs at what I would consider a reasonable price.

6" Cree LED replacement high hat units. $14 a pop at Depot last week. These regular are like over 30. Buy them all now while you can.

Whoops. I just read you want just the bulb. The above is a whole retrofit unit. What I love about the retrofit unit is that it makes a complete air seal to the ceiling. No more leaky high hats.

im an electrician and my company installs these  retro-fits and they are awesome very bright

Yes.  You have to cut out the ballast and run line voltage to the tombstones.  The lamps have drivers built in.  What else do you want/need to know?

Do you think they are cost effective? I am tired of screwing around with the hazmat tubes and failing ballasts.

Small office, maybe 10 tubes running ~40 hours weekly. I can do the wiring jumps myself...

http://www.njcleanenergy.com/commercial-industrial/home/home

There's a direct install program that saves up to 70%, there's also a SmartStart lighting program - so there are at least two avenues for rebates through the state.