Sign in to follow this  
jerryiannelli

Looking for people familiar with youth-sized and first-time rifles!

Hey all-

I'm a journalist writing up a history of the American youth-model rifle (typically a .22LR), and I'm looking for a historian or collector who knows a bit about when they were first introduced, general usage trends over the last few decades, that sort of thing. I'm working on a long-term project through a very large university, and would really appreciate the help.

Furthermore: Has anyone bought his/her children a youth-model rifle in the last few years? If so, I'd love to speak briefly about your experience with it.

Thanks for any and all help! Feel free to shoot me a message at jerryjiannelli[at]gmail[dot]com if so.

I think Rutgers was trying to say.

Historically Journalists asking to speak with Gun owners ends up as a Disaster since we are taken out of context, Miss-quoted and made out to be something we are not. Most of the time it turns from we just want your point of view to a complete hit piece. I think based on history you can understand the reluctance some might feel in talking to you.

If You're Genuine i wish you luck.

My apologies, as I didn't want to give out a ton of info over the public forum. I work through Columbia University, and yes I am an admitted first-time poster. My Columbia e-mail is gji2012[at]columbia[dot]edu if that helps. I come from a gun-collecting family.

Here's an old clip of mine for reference: http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-13/news/49798033_1_median-income-pennsauken-riverfront-village

I'm writing a longform freelance piece about the youth-model firearm, and unfortunately don't have a publisher nailed down yet. Youth-sized rifles are a growing side of the rifle market, and I'm just trying to get a sense as to how many people have grown up shooting them. I don't have an angle or a slant, just trying to share stories, as I think firearm rights are one of the most pressing issues in the U.S. right now.

Hope that helps. Again, feel free to email me if anyone would like to chat further. Conversation will, naturally, be on your own terms.

Totally understand the reluctance. Full disclosure: My aim is to sort of sit in the middle of the debate, as yes, there are a lot of people who want to ban children from coming close to a shooting range, and at the same time, the vast majority of hunting families cause no harm to the general public whatsoever. Frankly, the piece is more about rifle manufacturing than it is about civilian ownership. I certainly don't plan on skewering anyone, but I do understand the sentiment.

I think a better story, if you really want to set your mark, is to question why the FBI says upwards to 1mm violent crimes are not committed due to 2A and yet we see no mention or drive to hear this. That is staggering and dwarfs the number of violent crimes committed with firearms (of course that number includes police activity and suicides)  Why are women's groups always playing the victim when a great equalizer is a bullet.  Down south, I know many women that carry .38s for protection and yet this right to self defense is not advocated by women's groups. 

so much to write on....hit the women's group angle and you will get better traction

just a thought

Totally understand the reluctance. Full disclosure: My aim is to sort of sit in the middle of the debate, as yes, there are a lot of people who want to ban children from coming close to a shooting range, and at the same time, the vast majority of hunting families cause no harm to the general public whatsoever. Frankly, the piece is more about rifle manufacturing than it is about civilian ownership. I certainly don't plan on skewering anyone, but I do understand the sentiment.

henry firearms in bayonne would be a good place to start

as a professor, I can check on your email and come back to the hive on legitimacy.....

Ill bite. Yeah I have a youth .22 rifle for my kid. Only problem is I don't have a kid yet. But when I do have a kid and I feel that he or she is old enough I will pass the rifle on to them as my father did with me and his father did with him. Yep that's right our family gun is a Marlin model 39 century from 1970 . My grandpa bought it for my dad when he was 13 and I was given the rifle when I graduated from air rifles. I will keep the tradition alive with my child in the future. This may not be what your looking for because its not really a youth rifle but it was used as one. its short enough that a kid can shoot it but still long enough for me to still shoot today, best of both worlds I guess. if your a pro 2a reporter I hope this helps a little and if your a wolf in sheep's clothing I did not give you any ammunition (pun intended) to further the antis cause because I don't have a kid yet.