Midwest

If you used Terminix to get rid of termites, you still might have them

If you used Terminix to get rid of termites, you still might have them

Local story on our Fox affiliate Fox 19 (out of Cincinnati) about a lady who paid to keep termites out  but  ended up with extensive termite damage.  Fox 19 Consumer Reporter Hagit Limor reported on the story and goes through the house showing extensive damage. This might not be limited to Ohio area, it might be a nationwide problem.

http://www.fox19.com/story/27272754/fox19-investigates-termites-eat-up-local-home-after-company-uses-bad-chemical

"
Mary Ellen Boutet of Reading paid Terminix $790 in 1989 to treat an infestation in her basement and signed a contract with an annual renewal fee to protect her home. For 24 years, she continued to pay as Terminix employees came annually to check her home to ensure there was no new damage or infestation.

“She just trusted that they were doing their job,” said Tina Yelken, Boutet's daughter. “She did not have a lot of money but she made darn sure that she was going to pay that so her house would be protected.

When her mother passed away last year, Yelken continued to pay for the pest control contract as she prepared to sell the house. Then the first of two buyers under contract walked through the home with an inspector and found extensive termite damage throughout."

I'm not surprised.  I worked as a Termite tech for a short time in the mid 90's, not long after the gov't banned Chlordane (the GOOD stuff) and pest control companies were still trying to find the "magic bullet" for termite control (they still haven't).  The chemicals they use for the annual service is a very watered down version of the semi-effective chemicals that are used for initial treatment.

Effective eradication depends on several factors, including: age of home, type of soil, surrounding vegetation and what was done with construction debris when the house was built. 

I treated one house that had a huge problem with termites coming up around their raised brick/concrete patio.  It turned out that the builder, in the 70s, disposed of all his wood scraps and other debris by placing them inside of the 28" high brick patio frame, covering it with about 3"-4" of dirt and then pouring a 3" concrete pad on top.  The house was in a wooded area that is a natural habitat for termites anyway.

Magnawing got it right.  Extermination companies are scared of fines or law suites if the treat termites the way that works - flooding the soil around the foundation.  The big chain companies won't do it and have bait systems that just don't work.

I second the Termidor. I was a pest control tech for a few years and that was the magic bullet as far as I am concerned. Expensive but it works. Used it on many house with active termite infestations and probably only had 1 failure. The one that failed had a spot treatment done and was Ok after that. 

When I bought my house 6 years ago, there was termite activity. The seller had terminix come and they put a barrier around the whole house. During the years I have gutted every room and I can not believe the damage that was done. I've replaced a lot of headers , studs Sheetrock, flooring, even sil plate . The sellers were in their 70's the infestation had to been going on for many many years. Now I'm worried after reading this that they might not have killed them all with there initial treatment.