Can you direct me to the regular firearms rule? What I'm confused about is in many other states you can just buy an air gun. No NICS check, no paperwork. So if you got a air rifle over the counter in say PA can you legally own it in NJ? It seems like it would be like moving to NJ with firearms purchased in PA and they would be legit. But man does it feel like a gaping loophole.

That is because it is considered a toy not a firearm in most states.

I understand this. NJ law stops at the border. State law of the state you're in any Federal law is what counts. Federal law doesn't consider air guns firearms either.

Has anyone purchase an air pistol out of state with a P2P?

Air gun rifle, air gun pistol, black powder rifle* and  black powder pistol* are not considered firearms under the 1968 Gun Control Act. They are not subject to background or ID checks and they can be freely shipped to anyone in any state #1.  In most states, you can walk in a store, pick up the item, pay for it and walk out.

#1 However State Laws might regulate and restrict  the above items and classify them as firearms such as New Jersey, Michigan, and elsewhere.. Purchasing some of the above items in those states might require a permit or a background check even though federal laws does not require it.

*Black powder firearms that are readily converted to conventional firearms can be considered as regular firearms. http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Has anyone purchase an air pistol out of state with a P2P?

The P2P has to be used in New Jersey, it cannot be used out of state. I saw the P2P here on NJgunforums and it said that it has to be used in NJ. You can use the P2P to by a airgun pistol in New Jersey.  You can't use the P2P to buy an airgun pistol in Pennsylvania...besides they won't know what it is or how how to administer it and a P2P is not applicable out of state anyway.

Pennsylvania and the other 40 some odd states do not require any permits to buy airguns or black powder guns*.

*Black powder firearms that are readily converted to conventional firearms can be considered as regular firearms.

The only caveat is you need to make sure it's something legal to POSSESS in NJ.

Go out and *buy* whatever air gun you'd like in the free world, but if the model is banned in NJ (like the Gamo Whisper with its "silencer") you will still not be allowed to *own* it here.

The only caveat is you need to make sure it's something legal to POSSESS in NJ.

Go out and *buy* whatever air gun you'd like in the free world, but if the model is banned in NJ (like the Gamo Whisper with its "silencer") you will still not be allowed to *own* it here.

Well aware of that insanity as well but good point.

Has NJ banned this yet?

Or does it need a FID?

Or a pesticide license?

Or is it an NFA weapon because of the short barrel?

It can shoot 50 shots without reloading, so does that make it an assault salt-weapon?

Any exemptions for killing bugs outside?

Do you have to apply for a carry permit to kill flies at picnics?

http://bugasalt.com/

"Insect hunting as sport has entered the 21st century with this fun, new non-toxic device. A miniaturized shotgun effect is generated through this ingenious design. Ordinary table salt is utilized as a lethal projectile with accuracy range of within 3 feet. Bugs will remain whole for easy clean up. The photo below breaks down some of the guns features."

baseproductimage0430_grande.png?v=141167

gundetailsimagerd2.png?336

I have one. The trigger is bad. I thought the safety was on , but I accidentally shot someone in the face with it. Fortunately they were wearing eyeglasses and it is ..after all..only table salt.

It rarely kills the fly first shot.

it doesn't get any more careless than this.

"Michigan bills loosen regulations on air guns"  http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2014/11/13/michigan-air-gun-regulations-nra/18956441/

------

Why can't we do what Michigan is doing?

Interesting, thanks for the link.

The history of airgun laws in New Jersey (from what I was able to read into) date back to 1958 when airguns and spring guns were banned in New Jersey.  I believe they were  bought back in 1966 when the FID law went into effect. If that is incorrect let me know.

No  information on why airguns were banned in the first place. Or why they are still considered a firearm.

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=182&page=0535&zoom=90

"Chapter 91 Laws of 1958 Page 534 Anyone who sells, manufactures, barters, hires, gives, buys,possesses,uses, shoots or knowingly delivers any spring gun, air gun or pistol with or any other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring or air and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than 3/8″ inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Approved June 30 1958"

I have one. The trigger is bad. I thought the safety was on , but I accidentally shot someone in the face with it. Fortunately they were wearing eyeglasses and it is ..after all..only table salt.

It rarely kills the fly first shot.

So much for 2 of the golden rules.. lol