checko

Ugh I need help choosing a direction.

I have a lower lying around that I want to start a new project on but I don't know which way to proceed.

I currently have a 14.5" middy bcm gun for training or defense, and a 16" carbine stag that currently has a scope mounted.

I kinda want to do something different like 300blk, or 6.5 but availability may be an issue (I don't reload)

Thinking about doing a legit SPR but I don't know if I'll be cost prohibited with the holidays coming.

What else could be fun?

Retro idea is nice..a respectable SPR is do-able on a budget if you're patient and look for sales..Im just waiting on a scope (Leupold or Vortex)...rest of rifle is a good to go SPR IMHO...Rainier barrel..BCM upper...Spikes Lower...Rainier BCG..Geissele trigger..rest of ancillary stuff is a mix of CMMG..Midwest PX and YHM...total price when finished should be in the $1400 range

Hmm. If I go with a m16a4 type I can kind of get the both worlds if I switch the carry handle with a scope. Maybe a nice 20" barrel with some free floated rails. I'll take the scope and trigger (SSA-E) from the stag. Throw an A2 stock on it. Then its a little bit of both. I'll have to redo the stag again though

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'd ditch the stag, salvage what ever parts you need out of it, and use the money that you have budgeted + the stag money to build out a very nice SPR. 

The spr will do everything the stag would do, just better, and you already have a carbine/gunfighting gun.

The spr will do everything the stag would do, just better, and you already have a carbine/gunfighting gun.

Agreed but I don't really know what I'd get for the stag. Last time I was testing the market I don't think I would get enough for it to make it seem worth selling

Option 1: I would build an SPR type. Take your time and do it right. Save up, buy quality parts - no rush.

I would also convert the Stag to mimic your BCM as close as possible and keep it as a backup gun for training. You have been taking some more serious classes - it would suck to have your primary rifle go down and you are unable to complete the training you paid for because you didn't have a spare rifle.

Option 2: Not as sexy, but I would build a clone to the BCM you already have as a backup, for the same reason as you posted above.

While they are very cool and I wouldn't turn one down if it was free, I don't see the utility in tying up a bunch of cash in a retro build.

Option 1: I would build an SPR type. Take your time and do it right. Save up, buy quality parts - no rush.

I would also convert the Stag to mimic your BCM as close as possible and keep it as a backup gun for training. You have been taking some more serious classes - it would suck to have your primary rifle go down and you are unable to complete the training you paid for because you didn't have a spare rifle.

Option 2: Not as sexy, but I would build a clone to the BCM you already have as a backup, for the same reason as you posted above.

While they are very cool and I wouldn't turn one down if it was free, I don't see the utility in tying up a bunch of cash in a retro build.

I think I'd go with option 1. I don't know if I like the stag for a training gun the way it is just cause I'm not a fan of the carbine handguard. I've toyed with the idea of swapping barrels on it to either make it a middy or just extend a FF guard over a low pro gas block. Otherwise, my Set up is pretty minimalistic. VFG and light at 10 o'clock or so.

Another question, do you think it is a big deal to have a different optic for a back up gun? I plan to have a t-1/h-1 for my next RDS purchase.

Awesome! Now you have 2 project guns! See what I did for you!!!

I would use same BUIS type on both guns, either both lower 1/3 or both absolute, both folding or both fixed, but I wouldn't worry about two different optics (EO and T1) as long as they are both the same type ie: both RDS, both Reflex, both irons only, or both magnified. I would also put the T1 on my primary rifle - but that's just me.

As far as the Stag, I would just chop the FSB with a grinder, hit it with cold blue then some BBQ or Manifold (Hi-Temp) paint then install a rail that uses a standard barrel nut (I really like the Troy* Alpha/VTAC tubes and Primary Arms has them on sale for Veterans Day). It's not hard, I recently did it to a Bushapmster/BCM gun I have and it worked great. I am very pleased with now it turned out.

*People have differing opinion on Troy lately - there has been some controversy. I am OK with them, others not so much.

Awesome! Now you have 2 project guns! See what I did for you!!!

I would use same BUIS type on both guns, either both lower 1/3 or both absolute, both folding or both fixed, but I wouldn't worry about two different optics (EO and T1) as long as they are both the same type ie: both RDS, both Reflex, both irons only, or both magnified. I would also put the T1 on my primary rifle - but that's just me.

As far as the Stag, I would just chop the FSB with a grinder, hit it with cold blue then some BBQ or Manifold (Hi-Temp) paint then install a rail that uses a standard barrel nut (I really like the Troy* Alpha/VTAC tubes and Primary Arms has them on sale for Veterans Day). It's not hard, I recently did it to a Bushapmster/BCM gun I have and it worked great. I am very pleased with now it turned out.

*People have differing opinion on Troy lately - there has been some controversy. I am OK with them, others not so much.

Roger that, with the optics. Unfortunately I don't have a FSB on the stag. Its a short railed gas block and I don't think it would fit under any rails.

I don't really mind having a couple projects as long as I have a direction to go.

Hmm. If I go with a m16a4 type I can kind of get the both worlds if I switch the carry handle with a scope. Maybe a nice 20" barrel with some free floated rails. I'll take the scope and trigger (SSA-E) from the stag. Throw an A2 stock on it. Then its a little bit of both. I'll have to redo the stag again though

LOVE me some A4 clones.

Crappy iPhone pic of mine:

post-2136-0-43805100-1415482481_thumb.jpg

Here ya go:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-stealth-sniper-system-lt011

Or a BCM 18" SPR Mk 18 or 20" SMR.

Thank you for extending the loan for me to buy that lol.

I'm actually looking to make this upper from parts as well as the upper.

Your wife and my wife must hang out....

The best advice I can give is if your wife says she want to buy a horse say "Sure, hon". You will never again be questioned about your gun spending.

Mind you, you'll be broke from paying upkeep on the horse and not be able to buy guns anyway, but hey, you won't be questioned :)

ok so this is what I'm planning. 

Gonna take out my lower from the stag.  Has a moe rifle stock and a ssa-e trig

Buy this barrel

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-spr

Use a BCM stripped upper, put on my nikon p223 4-12x

I'm stuck on the rails, I think I want 15" with a thin diameter.  Also stuck on a muzzle device but that is more for show.  I like the Lantac Dragon.

Suggestions?

Have that exact barrel...you'll love it..

http://yhm.net/12-520-smooth-series-forearm-rifle-length.html

Handguard check out Yankee Hill 5005 FF tube..was skeptical at first but trust me its built to last can be had <$150.also has side and bottom rails built in the front end..other rails can be added..

http://algdefense.com/single-chamber-brake-scb.html

Brake I went with ALG Defense Single chamber brake...has a similar look of the OPS inc 12th model brake I was shooting for without the price..ALG has it around $35

Troy Alpha 15". Slim, solid, light weight, and use a standard barrel nut. You can find them for around ~$150 if you look.

+1

I was gonna say, if you kept the stag, maybe look at the DD rail with the cut away for the A2 front sight. Not sure how it would work with a railed gas block, but was wondering.

Also, I could not agree more with HE on the back up gun. I have been wanting this for a long time. I got caught up with high end rifles, and lost touch with reality. I need to sell off some of the top tier stuff, and get me a few bcm 14.5 work horses.

Lastly, my personal fav is the 18" barrel for the spr. If I get a vote.. Hehe

Should I do the keymod business? I don't think I need that much modularity

Thats like saying you don't need more money.  If you wanted to decide between keymod and something like the Troy rails with modular bits, then you decide based on how many bits you already own and how they attach. If you already have a pile if rail mounted things then you stay with the standard rail mounts, if you are starting from scratch then you decide which one you like more.

Or maybe mlok :)

The key-mod units are nice. They are slim, low profile (especially with direct mount key-mod accessories) and light weight.

They are also expensive, have limited direct mount accessories, and you will still have to put a rail section to attach any accessories you already have designed to 1913 specs.

If all you want to add is a light and vert grip, maybe the occasional bi-pod, then I don't know of they are worth the additional scratch at this time.

If you want to lay out the money for all new direct mount key-mod accessories, then I say go for it. I like how low the lights and lasers can get to the bore with the direct mount, how much weight you save without rails, and how it removes a layer of "tolerance stacking" when mounting an item that needs to be zeroed like an IR or Vis laser.

I have been buying the Alpha rails to slowly replace the MOE stuff I have on my personal guns and I have been very happy.

If I could put new rails on my work guns I would get a key-mod set up.

If all you want to add is a light and vert grip, maybe the occasional bi-pod, then I don't know of they are worth the additional scratch at this time.

You hit the nail on the head. You know my set ups and I don't think I'll ever be adding ir lasers or anything like that. I can't think of any zeroed accessories id need mounted to my rail. Having a direct attached flashlight sounds good to keep things in tight but not a deal breaker. I can probably use a vtac mount and hang it off the top rail or an iwc direct attach too.

In any event, I just didn't want to miss the boat on the new goodies