Andrewsarchus

Handgun for First Time Buyer

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help in picking out my first handgun (9mm).  It will be a range gun that I can use to (hopefully) learn how to shoot well.  I'm still waiting on my FID card, but I've been to RTSP quite a few times and shot the following: HK VP9, HK P30, Walther PPQ, Sig 229, Sig 226, S&W M&P9, Glock 19, Beretta 92FS, Beretta Px4 Storm, Springfield xD, FNS-9, and CZ-75.

I am a very inexperienced shooter with zero training, but I definitely liked the P30 and PPQ the best.  The P30 was amazingly comfortable, and I definitely had my best groups with the PPQ.  Is there anything I should know about reliability or customer service or something along those lines to steer me towards one or the other?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

It would really help to know your budget.

One of my favorite 9mm's is the browning Hi-Power, but that may be above what you want to spend. You might also want to look at one of the Sig Sauer P series pistols.

I would advocate getting at least the NRA Basic pistol course under your belt before making a decision. That course will teach you the fundamentals of shooting a pistol so you can then evaluate what you like/dislike about the wide range of pistols you have tried.

Yeah, if you have not had a friend who is well versed in firearms at least give you a run down a course would probably be a smart place to start. But you did get one of the first steps right by trying everything out.

As far as your picks go for their customer service reputation, neither are flying too high. Not to say they aren't reliable firearms, but both H&K and Walther don't have the best track record reported by some of their customers. Although have never owned either so I can't speak from experience on that.

Your budget is definitely an important factor also in deciding what you want.

If you like the PPQ it is certainly less money than the P30 and it has an outstanding trigger right out of the box.

I have to disagree with Ted - not sure that a revolver is best as a first gun, unless you intend to only shoot it single action. The P-series Sigs (which you note that you have tried) are also a little difficult with the transition from D/A to S/A.

I believe that both ogfarmer and Sgt Toadette both own & shoot PPQ's - you might want to PM them. Also, IIRC, there used to be a board member named Wombat (and then children happened) who made a copious post about a range test of the PPQ - you may still be able to find it using the search function using either "PPQ" or "Wombat" as criteria.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'd recommend the PPQ. Have an M2 in 9mm and it's gone bang every time I pull the butter smooth trigger. It'll eat anything I throw at it, and all the bad groupings are entirely my fault!

All those up there are great guns, but I may just be a little partial :)

I'd recommend the PPQ. Have an M2 in 9mm and it's gone bang every time I pull the butter smooth trigger. It'll eat anything I throw at it, and all the bad groupings are entirely my fault!

All those up there are great guns, but I may just be a little partial :)

PPQ is a great gun! I have the M1 and I really like it.

Ditto. I'm a big fan of my M1

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you try a thousand guns, then ask the Internet, you'll always find someone who recommends something new. Everyone has opinions and biases ( know I do), but ultimately you are the one responsible for owning, safely operating, and yes, enjoying your firearm on the range. 

As for the customer service, treat "horror stories" you read on the Internet with skepticism, because you never know both sides. For every bad customer service rep, there's an unreasonable owner. Deal locally with a trusted shop, and if you have problems, bring it to them first. 

There is such thing as too much analysis - you will "think" yourself into the wrong decision. If you've shot a bunch of guns, and you like the PPQ or the P30 best, get the PPQ or the P30. Done. Now focus on things that really matter - like signing up for classes and scheduling range time.

you have pretty much shot just about all the nice dependable 9mm pistols.  i mean there are a few more but i think you have a good base.  from my experience, and this may not be yours or anyone else's, but i feel that i would be significantly better today had i chose a striker fired gun over the sig p226 for my first gun.  i love the p226.  there is something really nice about a all metal gun like that, but its hard to deny the simplicity and appeal of the striker fired guns.  glock, M&P, vp9, etc all would be the ones i'd put at the top of my list.  there is a reason why they are some of the most popular guns in competition scenarios

You have sarted right by shooting different handguns. Lot of good choices. As said above, everyone will have an opinion based on their likes and dislikes.

I would offer up the P226 or P229. A few reasons, The P series is A proven and time tested platform. Also with those guns you have the ability to have 1 platform with optional calibers.

I have A P226 with uppers that allow me to shoot, 22LR, 9mm, 40S&W, and 357 Sig, The P229 is A good gun just A little trimmed down compared to the 226.

While I am biased toward Sigs, Like I said you have mentioned some good guns.

A good example of opinions is striker compared to Hammer fired. While I have shot Striker fired guns I just dont like them. Even the new Sig P320 didnt work for me. Others think oposite. That will be your choice.

If you go for the P30, don't forget the $200 rebate offer going on right now. Extra mags might be a bit harder to find because of demand from new VP9 owners (which use the same mags).

Regardless of which gun you end up going for, I'd definitely urge you to get some training. Additional range time won't mean squat if you don't know what you should be working on. My suggestion, start with an intro to handgun course, then take a few range trips to utilize what you've learned.  Then sign up for some one-on-one training with someone that can diagnose issues you might still have and help to reinforce fundamentals. After that, then it would be the ideal time to where you start trying out guns to see what suits you, though I'm not going to say its absolutely necessary you start that process over from scratch.

Definitely get the PPQ if that is the one that you liked the best. It is a very good gun. I do not have one, but I was looking at them at the NRA Convention in Indy this year. I was very impressed & did give some serious consideration to buying one of them. Then I also looked at the new VP 9 at the police expo in Atlantic City Convention Center. I have not yet purchased either of them, but they are both very good, 15 +1 shot 9mm. Whether you decide to get the H&K P30 or the PPQ, you really will be very satisfied with either one. Or maybe get both of them?? 

I have biases as does everyone, however the following has served me and others well:

Get a gun that you shoot well, one that fits your hand well, that you are comfortable shooting.  Whenever possible, rent and shoot one before you buy one (or borrow a buddy's firearm).

Let me answer provocatively (to boost the discussion, of course) :-)

1) I seriously think it doesn't really matter what will be your first handgun - once you are in the game, it is very unlikely you ever stop. Of course, we all have different financial opportunities, someone buys new guns every month while others do it once or twice a year trading in the old ones, but once you are in, there ALWAYS will be something you try out at the range / see at the match that will make you say "WOW! I want this beast!".

That said, go with any gun you are relatively comfortable shooting now and that fits your budget. I am pretty sure in 1 year time your understanding of guns will be at the very different level and you will be looking for other things than you look at now while choosing a gun.

2) I expect to be heavily criticized for my next statement, but I'll still say this - skip the part about the training now and use saved money (up to $200-250 if we are talking about NRA Basic, for example) towards another gun or just ammo. Formal training IS indeed extremely important, but I strongly believe (at least from my VERY limited experience - I'm a relatively beginner here shooting for less than 1 year) that in order for the training to be as efficient as possible you need to be intimately familiar with your firearm, you need to feel it, be able to reload it pretty much with closed eyes, have some bruises and scratches on your hands from its action and get used to the trigger pull etc. etc.. Please feel free to disregard this comment if you are not comfortable with familiarizing yourself with the gun on your own (but given you are renting guns it seems that you have no issues here). I am almost sure in 6 months time you'd be looking at things differently and might be coming to a course already with specific questions in your mind (or consider a different course)...

In my NRA Basic Pistol class we shot a variety of calibers provided by the range/class. Even with growing up around guns and being some what familiar with them I felt the class to be very informative and helped fix or prevent bad habits. My ego wasn't hurt by taking this class

Let me answer provocatively (to boost the discussion, of course) :-)

1) I seriously think it doesn't really matter what will be your first handgun - once you are in the game, it is very unlikely you ever stop. Of course, we all have different financial opportunities, someone buys new guns every month while others do it once or twice a year trading in the old ones, but once you are in, there ALWAYS will be something you try out at the range / see at the match that will make you say "WOW! I want this beast!".

That said, go with any gun you are relatively comfortable shooting now and that fits your budget. I am pretty sure in 1 year time your understanding of guns will be at the very different level and you will be looking for other things than you look at now while choosing a gun.

2) I expect to be heavily criticized for my next statement, but I'll still say this - skip the part about the training now and use saved money (up to $200-250 if we are talking about NRA Basic, for example) towards another gun or just ammo. Formal training IS indeed extremely important, but I strongly believe (at least from my VERY limited experience - I'm a relatively beginner here shooting for less than 1 year) that in order for the training to be as efficient as possible you need to be intimately familiar with your firearm, you need to feel it, be able to reload it pretty much with closed eyes, have some bruises and scratches on your hands from its action and get used to the trigger pull etc. etc.. Please feel free to disregard this comment if you are not comfortable with familiarizing yourself with the gun on your own (but given you are renting guns it seems that you have no issues here). I am almost sure in 6 months time you'd be looking at things differently and might be coming to a course already with specific questions in your mind (or consider a different course)...

1. I agree with the thought that your first handgun doesn't matter. I get the sense that most people either no longer own or rarely shoot their first handgun. My first was a Springfield XD9, and while it's just collecting dust now, but I've so far held off on selling it just for sentimental reasons.

2. I'll disagree and agree. I wouldn't go as far as to say familiarization is more important than training, but I would say that they are both important. In other words, I think OP should still do training as soon as possible, but he should also train with the same gun and stick with it so that he can get used to its grip, trigger, recoil characteristics, etc. That way he can isolate differences in his technique compared to differences in handling different guns. When going to RTSP (or where ever) to always rent that gun. When he signs up for one-on-one training, have the gun reserved so that it will be available. I put more than 1500 rounds through the XD9 at Woodland Park while waiting for my FID to come in.

RTSP would be a great place to take a First Steps class and for one-on-one training, especially if they have the gun you're settling on while you wait for your FID. One nice thing is that you can generally attend their First Steps as a "walk-in". When I was looking into Woodland Park, weekend classes had to be arranged 1-2 weeks in advance, but don't know if that's still the case.  If you're on a budget, NJ Firearms Academy always has a groupon for $60 something dollars (I thought the instructors were great, but you'll only shoot .22s. And putting it politely, the setting isn't quite to RTSP standards). I also recall a forum member here offering low-priced instruction. I took one-on-one instruction with Jimmy at Woodland Park and he was excellent.

Having run the NRA basic pistol course a few times I can tell you this: there is something in it for everyone.

I did one recently for some of the guys at work. One has been shooting pistols for 30+ years but needed a cert for a FL carry permit. Even he found that there were things in that course that he didn't know already.

Taking a basics course early makes the most sense to me. It will hopefully prevent any bad habits becoming established. It is far harder to correct if you have been doing something wrong for a long time.

Bear in mind this is only a basic class. You should consider further training based on what/how you want to shoot later on. There are different techniques that are appropriate for some disciplines and not for others. Defensive pistol practices are not going to help you much in a Bullseye league, for example. The fundamentals that are taught in a basic class, however, apply pretty much everywhere - that's why we call them fundamentals :o

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

1. I agree with the thought that your first handgun doesn't matter. I get the sense that most people either no longer own or rarely shoot their first handgun. My first was a Springfield XD9, and while it's just collecting dust now, but I've so far held off on selling it just for sentimental reasons.

This doesn't need to be the case.  If you do enough research up front, the first handgun you buy may become one of your favorites.  When I was looking to get back into shooting I spent a couple of months (while waiting for the FID and P2P call) making a list of what I would use the permits on.  I followed the advice I got here and rented everything I was remotely interested in, so when I was able to purchase I knew what I would get.  My first handgun was the Beretta 92fs Inox and it's still one of my favorite shooters.  My second was a Kimber Stainless Pro-Carry - also a favorite.

As I expanded my collection I added to the list, and bought as time and funds allowed.  It's some of my later purchases that don't get out much.   Some of them are just not as enjoyable to shoot.  I think what changed is how I approached buying them.  My first list was put together based on my up-front research and trying them out by renting all of them at the range.  I ruled out the ones I didn't like.  I still enjoy shooting the ones I bought on my initial set of permits.  After that I stopped renting and bought based on some research and feedback, but not trying them out first.  It's some of these that don't make the range trip very often.

The point is to do your research and get what you like.  Your tastes and needs may change over time but your first can also become your favorite.

I could not disagree more.

Spending 6 months of shooting with poor technique, will only make it harder to learn how to shoot with good technique.

I always use this example:

In any given endeavor, one can take instruction, and take the time to become proficient with good mechanics, or one can take the time to become proficient with bad mechanics.

If you have ever been skiing, and know how to ski well, you will see two types of people taking on the challenging terrain or slopes.  You will see those who clearly know what they are doing and navigate well and easily.  Those are the people who bothered to get trained.

You will also see people who navigate the hill and get down safely and even quickly at times.  They can ski the hill, but they have horrible technique and have become "proficient" via brute force.  Those are people who didn't bother to train.

You will see this in many areas.  I have sen this in scuba diving, motorcycle riding and racing, flying, etc.

You can pick out those who are trained properly, every single time.  And almost without fail, those are the most successful, safe and proficient people doing the activity.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of the feedback.  I took the First Steps Pistol Course and it was DEFINITELY worthwhile.  Afterwards, I decided to shoot a bunch of the 9mms I had already shot, and I definitely had a different experience with each gun now that I had some idea what I should be doing.  I ended up liking the VP9 the most during my most recent shoot around, so I think I'm going to go with that.  Now I just need to figure out what else I need to buy once I actually have the gun itself.

Also, I'm picking up my FID card and permit tomorrow, so it should be a good day!