younggun93

Help choosing a sling

Of the two BFG VCAS is my preference - I have 6 of them on various long guns.

The sling is sturdier and the slider works smoother and faster.

I did just get a Magpul MS1 sling. So far I like it. The sling is sturdy and wide without being stiff and the slider is smooth with no running end.

I have my VCAS slings set up to convert if I want to with the IWC 2 - 1 tri-glide. I have never used it. Ever.

A Quick Adjust 2 point sling (VCAS, VTAC, MS1/2/3 in 2pt mode, etc...) is better in every way and for every task than a single point sling.

All. Day. Long.

Also, I should say that I have had MS3 slings in the past, and compared to the VCAS I hated them. I ended up cutting them up and using the hardware (Paraclips) on my VCAS slings.

I have my VCAS slings set up to convert if I want to with the IWC 2 - 1 tri-glide. I have never used it. Ever.

A Quick Adjust 2 point sling (VCAS, VTAC, MS1/2/3 in 2pt mode, etc...) is better in every way and for every task than a single point sling.

All. Day. Long.

Also, I should say that I have had MS3 slings in the past, and compared to the VCAS I hated them. I ended up cutting them up and using the hardware (Paraclips) on my VCAS slings.

Can you post some pictures of your set up? The only reason I'm considering the ms3 is because I already have the asap installed

I like the 1pt to 2pt option. How long have you had it for? Any signs of wear? Annoyances? Etc

Neck chafing when switching.

Also - it uses MASH hooks - they can be slower to hook and unhook than HK spring snap hooks or other sling mounts.

Can you post some pictures of your set up? The only reason I'm considering the ms3 is because I already have the asap installed

Yeah, I think I can get some pics tonight for you.

I like the ASAP as well. The nice thing is now, instead of buying an MS2/3 sling and cannibalizing it for the hardware, you can just buy Magpul Paraclips for under $10 and put them on any sling you want use it with the ASAP plate.

ETA: Oh yeah, another benefit to the ASAP plate and Paraclips is you can make a 2-1 point conversion without the tri-glide or Magpul's MS3 adapter.

Yeah, I think I can get some pics tonight for you.

I like the ASAP as well. The nice thing is now, instead of buying an MS2/3 sling and cannibalizing it for the hardware, you can just buy Magpul Paraclips for under $10 and put them on any sling you want use it with the ASAP plate.

Well shit that certainly changes things lol

I run a couple VTAC slings and like them. You won't go wrong with the VCAS either.  I have an IWC tri glide for 2-to-1 "flexablity" and can honestly say I've NEVER once used it.  YMMV

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/2-to-1-point-triglide-threads-into-your-sling-and-makes-it-convertible/

Work gun is a Colt R0933 Commando with BFG VCAS sling and IWC 2-1 tri-glide:B068B8A8-9526-4E8F-90FB-C7E1F4E52F53_zps

2-Point attachment:

56086CE9-CF2D-4E4D-ADAA-DD481FA590A9_zps

1 point using Tri-Glide:

0D5E70F1-2A07-4CB6-9B83-2B641F4A079D_zps

I set it up this way because I thought I would want the ability to go to a single point sling - you know, just in case.... I have since found out that I have never been in a situation where a single point would have served me better and see no need for a single point except loaning the rifle to a wrong-hander (lefty).

I can switch shoulders just as easily as a single point, and the two point does many things a single point just can not do - like adding stability to a shooting position, or keeping the rifle from smacking me in the dick when transitioning, or keeping the rifle from smacking me in my dick repeatedly when moving after said transitioning, or keeping the rifle snug to my body when I need both hands for something else - hands on, prisoner control, buddy/first aid, etc..., or keeping my barrel out of the dirt/mud/sand/snow when going to a kneeling, and adding tension to help with some manipulations of the rifle while in non-standard shooting positions.

Here is one of my training rifles. The sling is a BFG VCAS with Paraclips. It attaches to a MOE sling point up front and an ASAP in the rear:

45910D21-551B-4BE1-A747-4C3A5D33951C_zps

2-point attachment:

AF9829C3-43F9-436E-A8CC-203E5633B729_zps

1-point attachment on ASAP:

4CFDB70D-BC27-4486-857C-D0B517EB0F4D_zps

Close up of 1-point w/Paraclips on ASAP:

ECCDA2E0-7824-4F2A-989E-4201D589B0BF_zps

The ASAP with VCAS and Paraclips is really my favorite setup. The ASAPs inherent ability to switch the side the sling is on the rifle makes switching shoulders - even in 2-point mode - a breeze.

I like it so much that I would put an ASAP on the work gun if I could. However, I am prohibited from removing the receiver extension to install it - as it would then be considered a "permanent" alteration to the rifle which is understandably - and unfortunately - a no-go.

The VTAC that Checko mentions is also a great sling. It is similar to the VCAS but with different slider (more of a latch than a slider) and a loose running end instead of the closed adjustment loop of the VCAS. This gives the VTAC a larger range of adjustment, however if your are vertically challenged like me (my buddy Pat calls it "warrior sized" ;)) the VTAC is just too long IMO.

Work gun is a Colt R0933 Commando with BFG VCAS sling and IWC 2-1 tri-glide:B068B8A8-9526-4E8F-90FB-C7E1F4E52F53_zps

2-Point attachment:

56086CE9-CF2D-4E4D-ADAA-DD481FA590A9_zps

1 point using Tri-Glide:

0D5E70F1-2A07-4CB6-9B83-2B641F4A079D_zps

I set it up this way because I thought I would want the ability to go to a single point sling - you know, just in case.... I have since found out that I have never been in a situation where a single point would have served me better and see no need for a single point except loaning the rifle to a wrong-hander (lefty).

I can switch shoulders just as easily as a single point, and the two point does many things a single point just can not do - like adding stability to a shooting position, or keeping the rifle from smacking me in the dick when transitioning, or keeping the rifle from smacking me in my dick repeatedly when moving after said transitioning, or keeping the rifle snug to my body when I need both hands for something else - hands on, prisoner control, buddy/first aid, etc..., or keeping my barrel out of the dirt/mud/sand/snow when going to a kneeling, and adding tension to help with some manipulations of the rifle while in non-standard shooting positions.

Here is one of my training rifles. The sling is a BFG VCAS with Paraclips. It attaches to a MOE sling point up front and an ASAP in the rear:

45910D21-551B-4BE1-A747-4C3A5D33951C_zps

2-point attachment:

AF9829C3-43F9-436E-A8CC-203E5633B729_zps

1-point attachment on ASAP:

4CFDB70D-BC27-4486-857C-D0B517EB0F4D_zps

Close up of 1-point w/Paraclips on ASAP:

ECCDA2E0-7824-4F2A-989E-4201D589B0BF_zps

The ASAP with VCAS and Paraclips is really my favorite setup. The ASAPs inherent ability to switch the side the sling is on the rifle makes switching shoulders - even in 2-point mode - a breeze.

I like it so much that I would put an ASAP on the work gun if I could. However, I am prohibited from removing the receiver extension to install it - as it would then be considered a "permanent" alteration to the rifle which is understandably - and unfortunately - a no-go.

The VTAC that Checko mentions is also a great sling. It is similar to the VCAS but with different slider (more of a latch than a slider) and a loose running end instead of the closed adjustment loop of the VCAS. This gives the VTAC a larger range of motion, however if your are vertically challenges like me (my buddy Pat calls it "warrior sized" ;)) the VTAC is just too long IMO.

i think you just sold me on the VCAS with the paraclips. thats the exact same set up i had in my head

do any if you have the VCAS sling on an 870 (or 590)?

I use the 1/2 point convertible slings by Tactical Link, and the Z360 sling mounts. Not cheap, but excellent quality gear.

I agree with H.E., almost no use for single point mode. I played with it for quite awhile but found that 2 point mode is the way to go.

Good thread!  I'm not a high speed low drag guy and I don't play one on TV.  But I also tried a one point sling for a bit and found the gun knocked all over the place when I was walking or jogging.  One smack into my schlong was all it took to convince me two point slings are the way to go.  I have a few generics and a few Magpuls (don't remember the model #s), but that VCAS looks like a good product.