fumanchu182

Breaking in a leather holster.

When I got a Milt Sparks VMII for my Colt, the advice (from this forum, Pizza Bob I believe) was to take the plastic bag the gun came in, put the gun in the bag, and then push the gun into the holster for about 24 hours.  The slightly larger size with the bag in between gave it enough room to fit with enough tightness to retain the gun. 

I just broke in a blue-stone holster for my Sig P220 which arrived just today! I could not even get the pistol in all the way.

The inside leather is more rough. I wet it with hot tap water then placed my Sig in a plastic gallon size food storage bag.

I waited a few minutes for the moisture to soak into the leather, then placed the bag covered Sig in the holster.

I left it in for 2 hours then let the holster dry, even used a blow dryer to speed the drying. I put the pistol back in and now it fits like a glove!

Try it!!!

PS.  My Son wanted to know why I would even buy a holster when I can't carry in the PRNJ....I responded, wishful thinking!!!

PS.  My Son wanted to know why I would even buy a holster when I can't carry in the PRNJ....I responded, wishful thinking!!!

Haha, we are all wishfully thinking for this.  I'm going to leave it in the holster till I come home tonight and then I"m going to see if it stretched it out a little bit.  If not then I"m going to go get me a ziplock or wax paper and try that.

DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING other than putting the gun in the holster and perhaps wearing it if you can, and drawing/re-holstering/drawing/re-holstering etc.

I made a huge huge mistake in summer 2011 - long story short, I took a Cabelas trip with my old man and wound up buying a Galco Sto-N-Go tuckable IWB holster for my Glock 23 - it wasn't very expensive, looked high quality, and I thought it was perfecr for carrying around the house etc. Since we can't carry every day / out and about in NJ.  It was extremely stiff leather and very tight with the G23 - and I thought it NEEDED to be conditioned or oiled etc.  The paperwork says not to, absolutely not, but I knew better than anyone else of course.

I applied it at night, some sort of leather conditioner product my old man had lying around for expensive Harley Davidson leather.  By the morning, the holster was so soft the gun would slide out easily and borderline worthless it was so soft and supple.

I have since bought several other Galco holsters, (and other holsters of course), in Florida I carry every day, just about all day everyday everywhere, and Galco is a quality and faultless brand with a reasonable price compared to others.  But I will say, having had to break in about 5 different holsters in the last year or two, you do NOT want to do anything other  than use it and wait.  Put the gun in, take it out, repeat etc. and wear it when you can, the body heat will hasten the process by warming up the leather oils and the drawing/reholstering will etch the leather and help mold to the features of your gun.

DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING other than putting the gun in the holster and perhaps wearing it if you can, and drawing/re-holstering/drawing/re-holstering etc....

...But I will say, having had to break in about 5 different holsters in the last year or two, you do NOT want to do anything other than use it and wait. Put the gun in, take it out, repeat etc. and wear it when you can, the body heat will hasten the process by warming up the leather oils and the drawing/reholstering will etch the leather and help mold to the features of your gun.

Definitely agree with not using water, oils, etc but this actually came from milt sparks website.

http://www.miltsparks.com/Questions.htm#10

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

At the RTSP concealed carry mindset class on Thursday evening, the instructor Dave had a method he uses to break in a leather holster. He told us to use a thin dress sock over the gun, and repeatedly slide the gun in and out for a couple days leaving the gun inside the holster still in the dress sock. He said it will keep the leather stiff but create a very tiny gap all the way around the gun the thickness of the dress sock. That will make it much easier to draw but not make the gun loose in the holster. I didn't try it myself yet.