1LtCAP

fitness

Don't forget being in shape is part of prepping. How are u going to lug your stuff around when The SHTF. 

NOT only this, but what about if the situation calls for you to be armored up? level4 plates weigh anywhere from 5 to 7 pounds each. plus any other equipment you have on your vest........

Start with diet.  Get away from grains and simple sugars.  Eat as close to nature as possible.  Watch the weight just fall off before even starting to workout.

Learn about foam rolling and self myofascial release techniques.  It will change your life.

Do compound movements (safely) when working out.  Incorporate as many muscle fibers as possible with each exercise.  

For example, don't sit on a machine and do a leg extension just for your quads.  Our bodies never move in isolation, so you shouldn't use isolation in working out.

Instead, do a lunge. Its multiplanar, uses far more muscles to perform, and is more transferrable to real life applications (running, climbing, etc)

Don't worry about long runs.  Do short intervals. 

I plan to start in January. After a serious back injury in 2011 kept me out for 13 months and then a relapse in 2012 coupled with raising 3 kids left no time for working out. Back still kills me every day and really starting to feel like shit. Need to change

Whatever exercise routine you choose to do the key to getting and staying in shape is consistency. Don't try to rush getting in shape, just make sure you do some exercising everyday. Be it at the gym or in your house. If I can't get to the gym, I do push-ups, pull-ups and sit ups at home. Always get in some cardio, whether walking, riding or running. Do something everyday, and try to do a little more each time.

Whatever exercise routine you choose to do the key to getting and staying in shape is consistency. Don't try to rush getting in shape, just make sure you do some exercising everyday. Be it at the gym or in your house. If I can't get to the gym, I do push-ups, pull-ups and sit ups at home. Always get in some cardio, whether walking, riding or running. Do something everyday, and try to do a little more each time.

Its also good to keep a workout log, So you can track your progress. Once you find your groove you'll be hooked. 

Great advice!  You're better off making a steady, consistent effort than trying to kill yourself to get back in shape.  The result of the latter is usually burnout and/or injury.

I plan to start in January. After a serious back injury in 2011 kept me out for 13 months and then a relapse in 2012 coupled with raising 3 kids left no time for working out. Back still kills me every day and really starting to feel like shit. Need to change

Check out Pain Free by Peter Egoscue.  It's a book of simple, gentle exercises to help with aches in different parts of one's anatomy.  It has done wonders for me over the past ten years or so.  You can get some info at:  www.egoscue.com

I'm looking for a treadmill for the house, for my off days. I want to lose about 8- lbs  of spare tire.    I hit the gym every other day, I do a full body workout.  I go to a private gym (  corporate exercise facility ) Its Quite and i get a good workout with out all the drama.

Well, Fish, it's January, and my wife is on my (now oversized) ass to do something about it....she is dragging my butt to her gym tomorrow.

What are you doing?

For over a year now I have run 4 miles every morning at 4 am. Best before work because no time after with kids. I'm almost to the point where I will get all of the unwanted fat around the waist to go away. But I can't give up the Chinese and pizza nights. And the vodka diet Dr peppers I love so much. I can only imagine how much faster I could do it without the cap. Lol

As we all grow older most of us start to slow down a bit and loose some of our flexibility. Like many here, with our work and family obligations, finding or making the time to work out can be a challenge, but really necessary. While I also played sports in college, I used to also play Squash and get an excellent cardio work out in 45 mins. Unfortunately, I have not been playing as much over the past several years as before. I have never been a runner and thankfully, do not have any issues with my ankles, shins or knees. I like the previous suggestions about getting a dog, forcing you to walk it on a regular basis, but recognize that other responsibilities and limitations that go along with pet ownership, which does not work for everyone, nor me at this time.  

I work out 2-3 times per week at our local YMCA, using the various CYBEX machines and then either walk fast (4 mph) or run slowly (5 mph) on a treadmill for 20-30 mins.   I will get my heart rate up to between 125 - 135 beats per minute. Also, since I work in Manhattan, if possible, I will consciously try to walk back to my office from a meeting, weather permitting. As has been stated earlier, walking a good clip for 20-30 mins.is an excellent form of low impact exercise. I first noticed the change in my stamina and speed in my early 50’s. When I took up pistol shooting last year, initially I would start to get “the shakes” in my right hand after shooting about 50 rounds. I realized that I was using muscles to shoot that I really had not been using much before that. So I modified my regular workout routine to include: 1.  30 arm curls with two 25 lb dumb bells at home, twice a day, once when I get up and once again when I get home from work to tone my biceps and forearms. 2.  Use a Gripmaster Pro Edition once a day squeezing 150 times with each hand to exercise each to improve my finger grip strength.

Also, I recognize that diet is key. I believe one can be smart about what we put inside of ourselves, combining sensible and healthy food most of the time, (during the week) and really tasty food and beverage on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. I enjoy a beer or cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner, knowing that the calories in alcohol go right to my waistline. About 15 years ago I gave up drinking all soda and foregoing adding sugar to my coffee and avoid all processed sugar items, if possible, (except for birthday cakes and some baked goods prepared by family members, especially during the holiday season). My wife is an excellent cook and I love to eat. Thankfully, she cooks very healthy meals for us during the week and then splurges, exploring new recipes to try for us on the weekends. I am responsible for buying the wine to go with her meals, which is fun.  

Finally, while I have been a night owl for most of my life, I now find that if I can get a minimum of 7 hours of good sleep each night that I function much better the next day, being much more alert and not making stupid mistakes on correspondence, etc. due to being tired. As a result of doing this, I no longer get the “shakes” when practicing shooting and I feel much better.   Once I reach 60, I know that I am going to have to increase the frequency of my gym workouts just to maintain my stamina as much as possible.

Essentially, I think we all know what we need to do and/or should do to be healthier, but sometimes find excuses to not do it. It requires the right attitude and desire to then be motivated to have the self-discipline to do whatever works for each of us to get into and stay in shape.   AVB-AMG

I know I recommended Insanity earlier (which I do), but I realize that may be too much for most people to start off with...especially a workout novice.

Try T-25...only 25 minutes at home and everyone I know loves it. Will get you in shape fast. No excuse to not spare a 25 minute workout:

http://www.amazon.com/Shaun-FOCUS-T25-Base-Kit/dp/B00DDBS2JE

New York Sports Club was advertising 19.99 a month for month to month. Their facilities have pretty good from what I've seen.

Location in matawan was offering $9.99 a month. Tons of add ons in the fine print. $100 enrollment fee and $40 yearly fee.

I lift 3 times weekly (heavy barbell routine, strength-oriented with some bodyweight exercises). Over the summer I will start doing two-a-days plus conditioning. AM: heavy barbell training followed by conditioning (hill sprints, rowing, or jump rope). PM: gymnastics/calisthenics outdoors (progressions with pullups, dips, front/back levers, handstands, etc.)

I know I recommended Insanity earlier (which I do), but I realize that may be too much for most people to start off with...especially a workout novice.

Try T-25...only 25 minutes at home and everyone I know loves it. Will get you in shape fast. No excuse to not spare a 25 minute workout:

http://www.amazon.com/Shaun-FOCUS-T25-Base-Kit/dp/B00DDBS2JE

This is what I currently do... mixture of T-25 + Stronglifts 5x5 workout in the power rack in my garage. 

T-25 is great for cardio. I skip the lower body focus & one other exercise that has too many body weight squats or jumping around. I prefer to squat with the barbell on my back. Ab Intervals is by far the best workout in the "Alpha" phase.

If you want an even harder challenge that's almost as quick, the new Insanity MAX 30 is a KILLER.

This is what I currently do... mixture of T-25 + Stronglifts 5x5 workout in the power rack in my garage. 

T-25 is great for cardio. I skip the lower body focus & one other exercise that has too many body weight squats or jumping around. I prefer to squat with the barbell on my back. Ab Intervals is by far the best workout in the "Alpha" phase.

If you want an even harder challenge that's almost as quick, the new Insanity MAX 30 is a KILLER.

Nice! How do you like Insanity vs Insanity Max 30?

For people starting out or getting back in, it's much easier/better to do something simple like the Stronglifts 5x5 or a similar routine.  You want to perfect your form in the big basic lifts and build a good strength base before doing a bunch of complex quick movements that won't build strength as quickly.

I'd say a combo of a 5x5 routine with running, biking, or swimming for cardio 3-4 times a week depending on capacity.  Simple and hits all your needs efficiently.