JohnnyB

New court decision ends California's restrictions on conceal-carry permits

By Fox News.... BREAKING STORY!!!!

Law-abiding Californians may not need to justify their need to carry concealed weapons, after the same three-judge panel that struck down restrictions on the permits earlier this year ruled Wednesday that it is too late for new opponents to join the fight against the ruling.  

The decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals would bar other law enforcement officials, including state Attorney General Kamala Harris, from appealing its ruling in a case originally brought by an independent journalist who sued the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department over its policy of requiring a specific reason for being allowed to carry a concealed weapon in public.

By Fox News.... BREAKING STORY!!!!

Law-abiding Californians may not need to justify their need to carry concealed weapons, after the same three-judge panel that struck down restrictions on the permits earlier this year ruled Wednesday that it is too late for new opponents to join the fight against the ruling.  

The decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals would bar other law enforcement officials, including state Attorney General Kamala Harris, from appealing its ruling in a case originally brought by an independent journalist who sued the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department over its policy of requiring a specific reason for being allowed to carry a concealed weapon in public.

Being discussed here... http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/72096-whats-up-with-peruta/#entry926352

So how is moving to California? They have the 10 round mag restriction, anything else we have in NJ that we can't bring into CA?

And there aren't many handguns that are legal there. Their "handgun roster" is getting shorter and shorter all the time as manufacturers don't what to bother meeting CA DOJ standards.

They also have the handgun roster with microstamping requirement. Huge % of handguns are effectively banned unless they are special CA compliant models (e.g. must have mag disconnect safety and obnoxious loaded chamber indicators). Microstamping requirements went into effect last year, where new model semi-auto handguns are effectively banned. There used to be a "single shot exemption" work around that was a pain in the ass and expensive, but that's ending in 2015.

So it looks like another place where you have to have your collection complete before you move in. Are there any restrictions on what you can't bring in if moving into CA? Isn't the 10 round mag only for a cutoff year of manufacture?

I going to refrain from answering since I don't know the answers for certain.

But while I notice CA has a crapload of restrictions, I also see a great number of cases being litigated, be it CCW, waiting periods, restrictions on mag limits, restrictions on hollow points, gun rosters, etc. Why isn't anything in NJ being litigated? I know gun rights aren't going to be addressed by the NJ state legislators, so why aren't more avenues to gun rights being sought in the courts? Kind of like my other post a few weeks back on why no challenges to the P2P scheme. I don't expect it to be eliminated entirely, but why not sue to eliminate the need for permits for existing gun owners? At least it would be a step in right direction.

So what everyone seems to be saying is that California's gun laws are horrible, arguably worse than ours.  And yet even they have CCW, while we still do not.

I feel like we in NJ are the stepchildren of the NRA.  I was watching an NRA TV show a few days ago, where they said that all 50 states now have some form of CCW, and I wanted to scream at the TV, "Not really!  Not New Jersey!"

So what everyone seems to be saying is that California's gun laws are horrible, arguably worse than ours.  And yet even they have CCW, while we still do not.

I feel like we in NJ are the stepchildren of the NRA.  I was watching an NRA TV show a few days ago, where they said that all 50 states now have some form of CCW, and I wanted to scream at the TV, "Not really!  Not New Jersey!"

Its not just NRA. I get more email notifications about law suits, activism, updates from CAFFL 2A rights group than any NJ based group. Only time I hear from a NJ group is either when fees are due or training is coming up.

California is not NJ.

A tiny part of California is urban.  A few counties are suburbs.  The majority of the state is rural.

Most of NJ is urban or suburbs. There are only a few small pockets of rural areas.

Most people who grow up in the country grow up around guns.  If they don't have guns, most neighbors, uncles, and friends families do.  Most who grow up in the country are exposed to hunting even if they don't hunt. Country folk are comfortable with guns.

Most who grow up in the city only have experiences with guns that involve crime.   City people are not comfortable with guns.

California:  231 residents per square mile

NJ: 1019 residents per square mile.

This is why California and NY fight and NJ doesn't.

Guam also would have been covered but switched to shall issue a few months back in anticipation of this ruling.

Which makes sense for them. They have a ton of gun shops in Guam as a result of all the Japanese tourists who come there, wanting to shoot (since guns are, in essence, illegal for civilians to own in Japan).

California is not NJ.

A tiny part of California is urban.  A few counties are suburbs.  The majority of the state is rural.

Most of NJ is urban or suburbs. There are only a few small pockets of rural areas.

Most people who grow up in the country grow up around guns.  If they don't have guns, most neighbors, uncles, and friends families do.  Most who grow up in the country are exposed to hunting even if they don't hunt. Country folk are comfortable with guns.

Most who grow up in the city only have experiences with guns that involve crime.   City people are not comfortable with guns.

California:  231 residents per square mile

NJ: 1019 residents per square mile.

This is why California and NY fight and NJ doesn't.

Absolutely correct.  CA has a gun culture.  NJ has none.