Howard

Another stupid PA gun owner may head to NJ JAIL

Man is arrested at Trenton-Mercer Airport after loaded gun is found in carry-on.  Seems he left a 9mm handgun in his bag with 8 rounds in it.  Sure hope they were not hollow points to add to his trouble.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2014/11/pa_man_arrested_at_trenton-mercer_airport_after_loaded_gun_found_in_his_carry-on.html

I have little sympathy for folks that do this.

Whether you agree with the TSA regulations or not is irrelevant - the law is what the law is and you have to abide by it or pay the consequences.

Personally, I feel saying "I forgot there was a gun in there" as a reason for having a gun in your carry on or undeclared in your luggage is proof that you are too stupid to be responsible enough to safely handle firearms.

If you are so pre-occupied, scatterbrained, or careless that can forget where your gun is, you need to seriously re-evaluate your mindset and make some significant changes to how and if you carry/own firearms.

• Like 1

Man is arrested at Trenton-Mercer Airport after loaded gun is found in carry-on.  Seems he left a 9mm handgun in his bag with 8 rounds in it.  Sure hope they were not hollow points to add to his trouble.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2014/11/pa_man_arrested_at_trenton-mercer_airport_after_loaded_gun_found_in_his_carry-on.html

In most states TSA/Police give you one pass per lifetime for this provided it seems like a mistake and no aggravating factors. I don't know what the exact policy is, but it has come up often enough and it's been leaked a couple times in the media.

I saw a guy caught with a BIG Fing switchblade, and this thing was no cheapo. TSA and the cops talked for about 5 seconds total. They asked if he was military and they said Yes, they took it and let him into the concourse. But that is probably different than a gun.

I think the title to this thread is deceptive ......

What does NJ law have to do with bringing a loaded firearm through a TSA Airport Checkpoint....?

Fact is.... if you did the same thing in Pa or Az ..... I am pretty sure the it's the same issue....  correct me if I am wrong.... 

I think the title to this thread is deceptive ......

What does NJ law have to do with bringing a loaded firearm through a TSA Airport Checkpoint....?

Fact is.... if you did the same thing in Pa or Az ..... I am pretty sure the it's the same issue....  correct me if I am wrong.... 

Troy, its another case of a PA resident illegally transporting a loaded weapon into NJ.  The airport is incidental to that.

Troy, its another case of a PA resident illegally transporting a loaded weapon into NJ.  The airport is incidental to that.

No.... you cannot carry a loaded weapon in a carry on in ANY airport in this country.....   

Just because he is lucky enough to be a resident of a state that allows him to CCW in everyday life, is not an excuse for not knowing the laws when traveling by plane, and really.....   he "forgot" it was in there? ....

I am all for defending rights...... But I am not going to defend stupidity ..... 

Troy, its another case of a PA resident illegally transporting a loaded weapon into NJ. The airport is incidental to that.

No it isn't. He didn't get stopped by NJSP or local cops on his way to his brother's house or an outlet mall. He was found to have a firearm while attempting to board a commercial aircraft as a passenger. That is a non-starter in every state, and at every airport in this nation. If he went to an airport in PA the exact same thing would have happened.

Regardless of state CCW laws, regardless of the protection 2A affords you in the state you reside in, you can't take a gun on a plane

I am all for defending rights...... But I am not going to defend stupidity .....

Hear hear!!

Call it anything you want. It's pure ignorance. I'd like to think that being a responsible gun owner no matter where you live, should leave no excuses. Even if you strap it on every day, there has to be a strong sense of responsibility. The world that doesn't hate us, hold us at a stronger, higher sense of accountability. We are no different than an LEO. We hold them to higher standards, we should be held to higher standards as well. Not exactly to their levels as John Q Public, but damn close. We cannot just let shet like this happen. The more we do, the more reason they will have to want our rights taken away.

Before I go out of my house, I give my self a 6 point pat down check. Takes mere seconds. I hit my back pockets, front pockets and my shirt pockets if any. It's what keeps me confident I always have what I need or maybe not need. It irks the hell out of me when people say they carry no ID, or wallets, or whatever. There is no sense of responsibility at all. Just stupidity...

With all the bad publicity. How do you carry a weapon on a plane without knowing better?

This goes beyond the stupidity of "I didn't know the laws of the particular state I traveled into."  I almost wonder if this is not some nefarious attempt to "test" the TSA and see if they can't get their HG through the checkpoints.

I have to agree with the others.  Forrest Gump was smarter than many of these individuals.

Jury nullification is what members of a jury use to stop stupid laws from being applied, its a way for us to do whats right, the other side uses theirs all the time, its called prosecutorial descretion.

The only trouble with jury nullification is, unless you already know about it going into a jury, you'll never find out about it in the courtroom, as the subject is totally "tabu" for discussion there by all parties, especially the judge (who might hold the lawyers in contempt of court if they even hint at it).  And if you do already know about it, the chances of you getting picked to serve on a jury are far less.  

You Tube - Jury Nullification Explained

No.... you cannot carry a loaded weapon in a carry on in ANY airport in this country.....

Just because he is lucky enough to be a resident of a state that allows him to CCW in everyday life, is not an excuse for not knowing the laws when traveling by plane, and really..... he "forgot" it was in there? ....

Well said..

As I mentioned in a similar thread on Facebook, after reading the article (and with a bit of reading between the lines), I got the impression that he forgot he was carrying and slipped it into his carry-on, and hoped the x-ray tech would miss it (which is pretty stupid...he should have gotten himself out of line on some pretext...'damn, I forgot a bag!' would work perfectly) and put the piece somewhere safe, like his car or something. 

Any other explanation just gets uglier and uglier...he "forgot" he had a loaded weapon in his bag/luggage?  You just dont "forget" these things!

He was arrested by the Mercer County Sheriff's Office, not the Feds!  Thus, to end up in a NJ airport with a loaded weapon is prima facia evidence that he had a loaded weapon on his person outside of the airport within the state of NJ.  He forfeits his FOPA transport rights as he transported a LOADED weapon!  What may be even worse is that there was no mention that he had a PA carry permit either.  Not that the permit would make it legal, but it might be usable as claiming stupidity as in the last case of a NJ woman who claimed to not know she could not come to NJ with a PA permit.

I strongly do not agree with our state now offering lesser penalties for non-residents for violating our stupid gun laws than for our own residents.  They should throw the book at them if they are also going to throw the book at us.  Its time for all these leftist laws to be overturned.

I actual think that people are that stupid and absentminded to forget. Was their intent to do harm on the airliner? Do they have a criminal history? Do they have a mental history? I think most of these arrests are about STUPID people, not criminals.

He was arrested by the Mercer County Sheriff's Office, not the Feds! Thus, to end up in a NJ airport with a loaded weapon is prima facia evidence that he had a loaded weapon on his person outside of the airport within the state of NJ.

Incorrect. Mercer County Sherrif's Dept is the LEO agency responsible to patrol and enforce laws at that airport. TSA has no ability to arrest, house, arraign, or process bail for those arrested.

This isn't a guy from another state that didn't know the law and got pinched in a traffic stop gone awry. He either forgot he had a gun in his bag (stupid) or knowingly tried to sneak a gun on a plane through security (criminal - regardless of his reason for doing so, he knowingly violated the law).

"No guns on planes" is not a local law. It is not a new law. It doesn't change from state to state. Security checkpoints, X-ray machines, and metal detectors weren't installed at airports overnight. Nobody "sprung" this on this guy.

I actual think that people are that stupid and absentminded to forget. Was their intent to do harm on the airliner? Do they have a criminal history? Do they have a mental history? I think most of these arrests are about STUPID people, not criminals.

Agreed. However, it doesn't change my opinion of their ability to responsibly own/carry firearms.

'The TSA Has Confiscated More Than 1,000 Guns at U.S. Airports This Year'

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/the-tsa-has-confiscated-more-than-1000-guns-at-u-s-airports-this-year-1670/

Who is Number one?

TIE: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International: 46 firearms

The penalty?

" If officers find a firearm in your carry-on, the result is a citation with fines of up to $7,500 or arrest."

Locally here..in the Northern KY/Cincinnati Airport

9 guns found at CVG so far in 2014

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/wsj-report-9-guns-found-at-cvg-so-far-in-2014

He was arrested by the Mercer County Sheriff's Office, not the Feds! Thus, to end up in a NJ airport with a loaded weapon is prima facia evidence that he had a loaded weapon on his person outside of the airport within the state of NJ.

Incorrect. Mercer County Sherrif's Dept is the LEO agency responsible to patrol and enforce laws at that airport. TSA has no ability to arrest, house, arraign, or process bail for those arrested.

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.  Just like you can be tried locally for murder AND tried Federally for civil rights violations.  I am not sure what your "Incorrect" is addressing.  They might have been acting as "sub-contractor" for the Feds, but the fact they picked him up with the loaded weapon is in and of itself evidence that he violated NJ laws by coming through the state with a loaded weapon.  Had it been unloaded he may have been protected by FOPA, BUT given that it was loaded he is not protected by FOPA and is in violation of NJ law.  Do you not agree with this?  If so please educate me as to why he would not be guilty of violating our stupid NJ laws?

Locally here..in the Northern KY/Cincinnati Airport

9 guns found at CVG so far in 2014

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/wsj-report-9-guns-found-at-cvg-so-far-in-2014

Damn that's like what a 90% rate at CVG?  That airport is a ghost town since Delta? pulled the plug.  Shame too, nice airport on a good deal of land.

In most states TSA/Police give you one pass per lifetime for this provided it seems like a mistake and no aggravating factors. I don't know what the exact policy is, but it has come up often enough and it's been leaked a couple times in the media.

I saw a guy caught with a BIG Fing switchblade, and this thing was no cheapo. TSA and the cops talked for about 5 seconds total. They asked if he was military and they said Yes, they took it and let him into the concourse. But that is probably different than a gun.

I got caught with a leatherman in my camera carry on bag at EWR. They gave me a frown and told me to check the bag.