Howard

Another stupid PA gun owner may head to NJ JAIL

This seems like a clear cut case of the stupids.  You cannot forget about a loaded weapon ever.  I know where all my loaded weapons are, either in the safe or where I put them on my person or around the house.

Precisely. 

I have little sympathy for folks that do this.

Whether you agree with the TSA regulations or not is irrelevant - the law is what the law is and you have to abide by it or pay the consequences.

Personally, I feel saying "I forgot there was a gun in there" as a reason for having a gun in your carry on or undeclared in your luggage is proof that you are too stupid to be responsible enough to safely handle firearms.

If you are so pre-occupied, scatterbrained, or careless that can forget where your gun is, you need to seriously re-evaluate your mindset and make some significant changes to how and if you carry/own firearms.

Not everyone is from NJ where they're conditioned to be neurotic about their firearms. I can see how this could happen as the more I carry the more I get used to it on me. I actually feel as if I forgot something when I go into NJ and can't carry. Imagine carrying everyday for your entire life taking it for granite----I see how this could happen. Dumb, no---careless, yes. With more laws equals more chances of breaking the law---as government creates more laws it essentially creates more criminals.

Not everyone is from NJ where they're conditioned to be neurotic about their firearms. I can see how this could happen as the more I carry the more I get used to it on me. I actually feel as if I forgot something when I go into NJ and can't carry. Imagine carrying everyday for your entire life taking it for granite----I see how this could happen. 

OTOH, many who are not from NJ are, at least, aware of the complexities of NJ gun law and procedure... at least enough to know they never want to set foot in the state, carrying or not! This was the prevalent mindset of the students in my recent MAG-40 class in Florida.   :dontknow:

This seems like a clear cut case of the stupids.  You cannot forget about a loaded weapon ever.  I know where all my loaded weapons are, either in the safe or where I put them on my person or around the house.

This about sums things up, except to say the stupid party is now a FELON!

Too many signs, too little BRAINS!  Lock 'em UP!

It would be appreciated if some of you would bother to proof-read your posts before hitting the 'POST' button. The butchering of the English language that is going on makes one wonder just how much of a failure some people's parents and educators have been.

It would be appreciated if some of you would bother to proof-read your posts before hitting the 'POST' button. The butchering of the English language that is going on makes one wonder just how much of a failure some people's parents and educators have been.

Not everyone here has English as their first language.  :russian:

Not everyone is from NJ where they're conditioned to be neurotic about their firearms. I can see how this could happen as the more I carry the more I get used to it on me. I actually feel as if I forgot something when I go into NJ and can't carry. Imagine carrying everyday for your entire life taking it for granite----I see how this could happen. Dumb, no---careless, yes. With more laws equals more chances of breaking the law---as government creates more laws it essentially creates more criminals.

This isn't even about NJ. Anyone should know that trying to bring anything out of the ordinary in the secure area of an airport is not going to go well. Once I was flying back from Nashville and saw TSA chew out a passenger because he had a homemade MP3 player in his carry on. The wires sticking out made them think it was a bomb. Btw you can't say "bomb" around the TSA Either nor can you make jokes about bombs and weapons.

That's an excuse and it is a weak one at best.

I have carried a pistol on and off duty every day for the last 12 years. I am as aware of where my pistol is at all times as I have ever been. Yes, familiarity breeds contempt - but only if you let it.

It has nothing to do with being neurotic and everything to do with being responsible and treating firearms as the serious objects they are.

If you are going to commit to a lifestyle where you are going to carry a firearm you have a duty to do it right. If you can't or won't, then you shouldn't carry.

This isn't even about NJ. Anyone should know that trying to bring anything out of the ordinary in the secure area of an airport is not going to go well. Once I was flying back from Nashville and saw TSA chew out a passenger because he had a homemade MP3 player in his carry on. The wires sticking out made them think it was a bomb. Btw you can't say "bomb" around the TSA Either nor can you make jokes about bombs and weapons.

Yup... Way long ago, in the good ol' days of the classic "cuba hijackings" of the 70's (before the TSA even existed), Mad Magazine did a Dave Berg joke about just that, where the wife is cautioning the husband not to mention anything about IEDs, etc. anywhere in the airport. 

Husband:   "OK, By the way, did you see 'so and so' movie last night?"

Wife:          "Oh, not that bomb!"

Security      <whipping out handcuffs>  "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST LADY!"  :D

The worst it ever got for me was with some of my diving gear.  Of course, all the expensive and sensitive stuff (computers, regulators and my UK HID grip light) could not be trusted in checked baggage and had to be carried on.  It was the UK HID light that was the problem, and no, it wasn't the "pistol grip." :D  If you notice, there's a locking latch near that grip you have to turn it just right to get the trigger to unlock and the light to turn on.

One TSA "person," wanted to turn it on to see if it worked. When I reached for it to show him how, he got defensive backed away from me. I could see that he was not operating the locking latch at all, and just trying to force the trigger to turn the light on (which would have ruined a (at the time) $300 HID light). He reared up as if to threaten me with something (arrest, strip search, whatever), and then went back to  trying to force it. I pleaded with him (admittedly with raised voice... my bad...) "You're going to break it... You don't know how to do it!" He still would not let me show him. He just walked away with it to the "head office." A few moments later, both of us now calmed down, he returned with it, seemingly unscathed. Calmed down enough I guess for us both to be civil with each other and wish each other "good day."  

After that incident, and upon my return home, I never flew with any cave gear again... ever...   Haven't since. For a time, the "Auto Train" was a relief (it got me to FL without any such cavity searches), but now, due to their firearms polices (Firearms are "prohibited" anywhere on board the Auto Train), I drive exclusively.  I just don't fly at all, these days.

That's an excuse and it is a weak one at best.

I have carried a pistol on and off duty every day for the last 12 years. I am as aware of where my pistol is at all times as I have ever been. Yes, familiarity breeds contempt - but only if you let it.

It has nothing to do with being neurotic and everything to do with being responsible and treating firearms as the serious objects they are.

If you are going to commit to a lifestyle where you are going to carry a firearm you have a duty to do it right. If you can't or won't, then you shouldn't carry.

I'm going to echo HE'S comments. I've been carrying daily for over 40 years. Always very aware of what I'm carrying and where I'm carrying it. This has also made me very aware of when I'm in another country and not armed.

BTW I grew up and spent about 85% of my life in NJ.

"Sensitive Item" nonsense ended for me many, many years ago. It stuck for a while, as all things do, but it wore off. And that has nothing to do with New Jersey for me, it was an occupational indoctrination.

If I didn't have a specific bag for airline carry on (I also have a specific one for checked baggage) I would probably have up to a 5% chance of getting a gun into a checkpoint and a >50% chance of getting ammo into one.

Yeah, I'm the worst gun owner that ever existed because I might not know where every single gun I own is at every single moment. And because there is probably a loose round stuck somewhere in nearly every bag or other container I own. Well, I'm in good company. I would bet a double digit percentage of gun owners could say the same thing. A majority of those that are gun enthusiasts or carry for self defense outside of NJ would say the same thing. The only difference is I have specific containers and bags for certain types of travel when I leave the Commonwealth.

"Sensitive Item" nonsense ended for me many, many years ago. It stuck for a while, as all things do, but it wore off. And that has nothing to do with New Jersey for me, it was an occupational indoctrination.

If I didn't have a specific bag for airline carry on (I also have a specific one for checked baggage) I would probably have up to a 5% chance of getting a gun into a checkpoint and a >50% chance of getting ammo into one.

Yeah, I'm the worst gun owner that ever existed because I might not know where every single gun I own is at every single moment. And because there is probably a loose round stuck somewhere in nearly every bag or other container I own. Well, I'm in good company. I would bet a double digit percentage of gun owners could say the same thing. A majority of those that are gun enthusiasts or carry for self defense outside of NJ would say the same thing. The only difference is I have specific containers and bags for certain types of travel when I leave the Commonwealth.

We're not talking the exact location of every gun you own or a stray cartridge in a bag. We're talking about having a loaded gun with you when you know you're going to go through a security screening to get on a commercial aircraft.

Much different than what you describe above. Not sensitive item nonsense.

Hyperbole? I responded to two things.

1. People in this thread say anybody who doesn't know where all their guns are all the time is a menace.

If you are so pre-occupied, scatterbrained, or careless that can forget where your gun is, you need to seriously re-evaluate your mindset and make some significant changes to how and if you carry/own firearms.

Precisely. 

2. I said I would have a 5% chance (small but real chance) of carrying a gun on a plane over my lifetime my damn self if I didn't have specific bags for travel outside of the Commonwealth.

I don't see any hyperbole there, those are the precise two issues in this thread unless I missed one. I didn't say aliens might stash a gun in my bag, I said I might miss one. That's not hyperbole, that's an admission of what you consider unforgivable.

Sometimes I think some of you are cranked out or something.

I have little sympathy for folks that do this.

Whether you agree with the TSA regulations or not is irrelevant - the law is what the law is and you have to abide by it or pay the consequences.

Personally, I feel saying "I forgot there was a gun in there" as a reason for having a gun in your carry on or undeclared in your luggage is proof that you are too stupid to be responsible enough to safely handle firearms.

HE-

I agree with you to a certain extent, but stuff happens and people forget things. Especially coming from a free state (PA). Let me run this scenario by you:

A LEO who left his duty weapon on the rear bumper of his vehicle before his shift started. He drove off and his duty weapon fell off his vehicle. When he realized he didn't have it and went back the gun was gone. Still yet to be recovered I believe.

Does your "If you are so pre-occupied, scatterbrained, or careless that can forget where your gun is, you need to seriously re-evaluate your mindset and make some significant changes to how and if you carry/own firearms" still apply?

Should this officer be fired or just suspended?

Officer should be fired. He failed in his duty on multiple levels and now an unauthorized person has that officer's duty weapon.

That weapon can potentially now be used to victimize others. That is a mistake that can cost someone their life. Granted, that may not happen but the potential is there.

Someone breaks into your home or car and steals a weapon* is one thing. Being so careless that you can leave your gun behind, unacceptable.

How can that officer be trusted to do the hard stuff if he can't even do the easy stuff?

* Assuming reasonable effort has been made to secure said weapon in the individual's vehicle or home. A pistol on the passenger seat is unacceptable. Locked in a safe/lockbox that is bolted down and not in plain sight, different story.

Officer should be fired. He failed in his duty on multiple levels and now an unauthorized person has that officer's duty weapon.

That weapon can potentially now be used to victimize others. That is a mistake that can cost someone their life. Granted, that may not happen but the potential is there.

Someone breaks into your home or car and steals a weapon* is one thing. Being so careless that you can leave your gun behind, unacceptable.

How can that officer be trusted to do the hard stuff if he can't even do the easy stuff?

* Assuming reasonable effort has been made to secure said weapon in the individual's vehicle or home. A pistol on the passenger seat is unacceptable. Locked in a safe/lockbox that is bolted down and not in plain sight, different story.

I knew you were a reasonable guy. :) I agree with you 100%.

BTW, He has not been fired.