fumanchu182

Took a new shooter to the range.

I took my girlfriend to the range this evening.  She had never shot a gun before in her life and was very eager to give it a go.  The range we chose was the Bayonne PBA range since it was the closest to both of us.  When we got there it was pretty empty so that was a good chance to explain to her the operation of the gun, how to rack the slide, take the safety off, how to load the magazine with bullets and then the magazine into the firearm.  She paid attention to everything and asked questions where she wanted to, it was a good experience.  We also discussed range safety and what to do if a malfunction or jam happened (guns worked flawlessly tonight so we didn't have any need to practice what we talked about).  Now onto the juicy stuff.

To get her started I would ask that she put only one bullet at a time in the magazine till she was used to the recoil.  On the first pull of the trigger with the M&P 22 she giggled like a little school girl and said "that was cool".  After she was confident in the operation and observing all safety rules she loaded the magazine to it's full capacity.  Boy was I surprised how well she could handle that gun, we went over respiratory pause and her groupings got even better.  I'm actually quite scared because with enough time and practice she may become a better shot than me.  After about 200 rounds of .22LR she wanted to try the M&P 9mm.

After showing her the operation of the gun (she complained the slide was harder to rack but liked the fact that the gun was heavier) I let her do her thing while observing her, asking her to make adjustments for safety reasons.  It was quite cool helping her find her dominant eye, a proper weaver stance and a good grip (support hand wrapping around the strong hand) and watching her group get better and better with each magazine.  Afterwards in the jeep on the ride home I asked her if she would come back again and she smiled and said she would go any time and loved it.  In regards to which pistol she liked the most, she loves the M&P 9 and says one day she will get one of her own.

gallery_3444_52_265394.jpg

It was a great night, she's a keeper and I'm glad that I brought a non shooter to the range and converted them into a shooter.

(she asked me when she can shoot my AR-15, I can't wait to take her to the range again)

Very cool! You taught a new shooter well and you did it right, start small and work up one round at a time and don't push past the shooter's comfort level.

In my experience, females are a joy to teach. They generally make much better students and are quicker to learn and safer than guys.

Well done Fu!

PS: Is she lefty? Looks like she may have some cross-eye dominance going on. That may be important if you start teaching her long guns.

Congrats.  Glad you brought got another female to embrace guns.  The only suggestion I would make for others is it might be better to do all the stuff discussed in the first paragraph at home before even going to the range (with the exclusion of inserting rounds in the gun).

Way to go, you now have a shooting partner.  I took my wife for the first time last year and she loved it as well.  And I hate to admit it, but my 14 year old daughter shoots small bore as well as me out to 100 yards!

Very cool! You taught a new shooter well and you did it right, start small and work up one round at a time and don't push past the shooter's comfort level.

In my experience, females are a joy to teach. They generally make much better students and are quicker to learn and safer than guys.

Well done Fu!

PS: Is she lefty? Looks like she may have some cross-eye dominance going on. That may be important if you start teaching her long guns.

I do not think she is cross eyed dominant but we'll do the test again. If she is I'll have her adjust holding the rifle definitely, good call.

Congrats.  Glad you brought got another female to embrace guns.  The only suggestion I would make for others is it might be better to do all the stuff discussed in the first paragraph at home before even going to the range (with the exclusion of inserting rounds in the gun).

I do that with all my other friends that I have converted but this week we were both busy so I couldn't get it done that way but yes I agree with you 100%.

I'm taking my mom and younger sister shooting (both first timers) in the next week or two, but asked my dad to go over safety with them before they head down.

I'll go over it again when at the range, but it'll save a lot of time I hope.

Congrats on the new shooter!  And HE is right about the head tilt.  A classic sign of closing the wrong eye.  For now, just have her be safe and have fun.  "Fixing" too many things at once can be taken the wrong way, so take baby steps since she's the GF.  You're definitely doin' it right so congrats again!  

Also--she may want to check-out the Second Amendment Womens' Shooting Club, based at the GFH range in Woodland Park.  From reduced-fee First Steps programs to free programs, lectures and shooting, she'd probably LOVE learning right along side other women.  Sandy (Irish Pete's Boss) is a co-founder and forum member.  I'm one of their Mens' Auxiliary members and have helped instruct on occasion.  Yesterday I ran a Pheasant Hunt for two of the Ladies of S.A.W.  Great group and it's worth a LOOK!

Dave