Sign in to follow this  
leahcim

Shooting with foreign nationals

Is there any legal issue (e.g. illegal transfer) if one were to bring a visiting foreign-national to the range and allowing them to shoot one's personal firearms?

I know ranges in NJ do not have any problem renting to foreign nationals, but is there any issue with an individual doing this?

No,

There is no problem to temporary transfer firearms to foreign nationals.

The barrieres for foreign nationals come when they want to own a firearm.

Edit to clarify: they can own firearms on green card and very hard to get a firearm if they dont have one.

I have friends on Green Cards that OWN their own firearms.  One is a Match Director at a local club.  Said club sends a roster to NJSP every year.  So he can lend YOU one of his guns if yours were to break!

I am a foreign national with a green card and I have my own guns.

I am also an NRA certified instructor which means I can hand an unloaded firearm to anybody so long as it is a location suitable for training.

The complication for instructors is the ITAR regulations which cover, amongst other things, the exportation of knowledge, I.e. training.

Under ITAR I am prohibited from training people who are not US citizens or Legal Permanent Residents in the use of firearms.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Under ITAR I am prohibited from training people who are not US citizens or Legal Permanent Residents in the use of firearms.Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Curious?

If you re prohibited to train non citizens and legal permanent residents how did the NRA train you ?

Great. Thanks for all the feedback! Most of my foreign friends (visitors and residents) have expressed interest in shooting and I'd love to take them to the range. For many the barriers and costs make it difficult in their home countries.

I am a foreign national with a green card and I have my own guns.

I am also an NRA certified instructor which means I can hand an unloaded firearm to anybody so long as it is a location suitable for training.

The complication for instructors is the ITAR regulations which cover, amongst other things, the exportation of knowledge, I.e. training.

Under ITAR I am prohibited from training people who are not US citizens or Legal Permanent Residents in the use of firearms.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

That is not under ITAR , that is under the NRA instructor guidelines , they  being a bit fudd-ish and over interpreting ITAR.

ITAR only covers military and defense information information, arms trading exportation ...not safe firearms handling for the average civilian.  There is nothing in ITAR that says a civilian can't teach another civilian safety and familiarization courses with firearms.

Non resident aliens are allowed , even without a green card , by Federal law , to purchase firearms if they can pass a background check , complete a hunter's ed course and have a hunting license. Non resident aliens can take any public given firearms class they wish, in fact aside from asking for photo ID most ranges require nothing of you to take a 1st steps or firearms courses , no background check , nothing. 

What non resident aliens can't do is receive police or military training , or receive information of that sort.