ShaggyRS6

Hello From North Bergen County

Hi everyone, I have been looking for a gun specific forum for a while now and I have settled on this one. I belong to a couple of hunting forums so some may recognise the name.

My mother country is actually the UK. I have lived here in North Bergen County for 2 years. I am in love with what this country has to offer in terms of landscape and the opportunity to hunt.

I am very proficient with rifles and shotguns but am completely new to hand guns.

I very recently visited gun for hire which is an amazing place. I am waiting for my green card to come through before I can start to get back into shooting, in the mean time I am searching the forums for info and mabye the opportunity to meet some freinds.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes. I'm on a bumpy bus.

Welcome ! Just as an FYI , even if you are a non resident alien ( and here legally of course ) you can still apply for FID card if you have a NJ Hunting license and have been here in NJ for 3 months.  It might be quicker than waiting for your permanent resident card to come through.  As long as you can pass a background and mental health check as well. I believe this to be true- I checked for someone else once , but it does warrant double checking .

Unfortunately I don't think your correct. I did speak to the State Police firearms dept a couple of times in fact the last time was a couple of weeks ago. They won't process anything without a green card in Jersey. What I have been able to do is the local PD stuff, background, mental health check and get finger prints, but the local detective can't send the app to the state police without the green card number.

You have no idea how much I wish I am wrong and you are right though :)

Thanks for the welcome.

They are often a bit twisted and flat out misinformed on the law . Welcome to NJ lol

They are suppose to take your paperwork , if you have a hunting license and have been here more than 90 days .

http://rtsponline.com/purchasing-a-firearm-in-nj/

"Non Resident Aliens: Unless a non resident alien has a NJ hunting license or a waiver from the Attorney General of the United States, he/she is not allowed to purchase a firearm. If a non resident alien has one of these, he/she must present it along with documentation of three months continuous residence in NJ prior to the firearms sale.  "

^ from a well established FFL in NJ

If you go to Gun For Hire again , let me know . I can pass on the hunting license materials. You should get that done regardless . The law is actual Federal , though states can impose their own restrictions. NJ does allow it , so the State Police were wrong. It is amazing how many people get wrong information from the State Police.

When did you apply for your Green Card? It could take years :/ Might be worth your time to print out the correct info and bring to your PD once you satisfy the hunting license part.

Regarding green card I will get that on 3 months. It's employment based and because of the job I do it takes no time. Going for my finger prints next week.

I have actually finished the online course. I need need to do the practical part. All the courses shut down for winter.

You a member at gun for hire?

Really??? I read you had to be Police or a Waldwick Resident.  That's great news!  Thanks for the tip.

There are a limited number of openings each year (10, if I remember correctly) available for non-Waldwick applicants whose police use the range for qualifications. That's how I became a member. I had to wait for 2 1/2 years to be voted in, however, since I was lower on the wait list. PM me if you're interested.