Malsua

Big price increase in Water Heaters in 2015

Okay thanks Mark. I'll scratch off the propane till we can get natural gas in the neighborhood. We have limited funding so I guess this is going on the back burner for now. Wifey reminded me that it's probably pointless till I get the rotted windows replaced. :(

Just for what it's worth, if you do want to go tankless,  you can get the service run(i.e. do it  yourself) and get the area and everything ready to go so if for whatever reason you need to get it done immediately, there's not nearly as much pain.

You can even get it mostly piped in with valves and stubs so it's simply a matter of sticking the new unit in and hooking it up later.   The upfront cost of doing that is pretty small(some conduit, some 8 or 6ga THHN, a breaker or two, some valves and fittings) and you can do it all yourself at your leisure.

I'm just curious but is that 7k including a boiler re-pipe with a hydraulic separator and a high efficiency zone pump like a Grundfos Alpha? Because my 90k btu Bimini and Bimini Buddy was about half that. I installed it, so there's no labor in it and I did get it at contractor price because the guys down there knew me and my history.

Thats for a high efficiency furnace, a coil, and multi stage condenser. A complete boiler with all new near boiler piping is more like $7,500 + Installed depending on what is needed, every system is different. with an indirect, spirovent, pump comes with the boiler usually sometimes grundfos sometimes taco. I usually install Burnham. I dont like crown so I don't sell them unless the customer specifically wants one. Their warranty services suck I hope to never deal with them again. If its a Buderus or Viessman its more. I don't sell lower quality equipment like Utica, WeilMclain, Crown, Peerless, Slant Fin, Williamson. Not worth the trouble to me later to save a few hundred on equipment IMO.

How much would it cost to replace an old electric water heater with a new tankless gas water heater. The electric is on one side of the house and the new one would go in the attic.

Your attic is finished and heated I assume? Because around here if you run pipes into an attic they freeze in the winter. They do install water pipe and equipment in attics down south like Texas, but above Virginia its not possible. I wouldn't be able to give a price until I looked at what you want to do. But your going to need gas pipe installed. Do you already have natural gas in your house now?

Your attic is finished and heated I assume? Because around here if you run pipes into an attic they freeze in the winter. They do install water pipe and equipment in attics down south like Texas, but above Virginia its not possible. I wouldn't be able to give a price until I looked at what you want to do. But your going to need gas pipe installed. Do you already have natural gas in your house now?

I have nat. gas now and it feeds the forced hot air heater which is also in the attic

Mine is still the original equipment... approaching 23 years... It still functions normally, but a ticking time bomb! I'll keep this in mind.

We had one that lasted much longer, from 1960 until mid 2000's in the tropics. Current one is 20 years old and is going strong