Malsua

Big price increase in Water Heaters in 2015

The National Appliance Energy Conservation Act is mandating new rules for 2015 that begin in April.

75, 80+ gallon tanks that are conventionally vented are gone completely.  Some power vent models  and most direct vent models will meet the efficiency standards(any that are condensing will) but will require venting retrofits if you are conventionally vented.

I don't think any model with a constantly burning pilot light will meet the efficiency standard.

50 gallon electric low boys are gone completely.

If a tank is the same height, it will end up up to 3 inches wider.

If it's the same width, it will end up 3-4 inches taller.

Tanks that are the same size and volume as current electric will be hybrid electric heat pump models.  I.E. it acts as a heat pump and robs heat from the surrounding air.  These are expensive.

If you have a fixed space, like a Condo or something, the new models are going to be a tough fit.

Basically, if you think you need a heater, get it sooner rather than later while plumbing houses still have stock on current models.  Most plumbing houses are stocking up and will have heaters for a while after the new standards are in, but after that, expect a big price jump in the heater and installation.

Here's a thread with more information than I can post:  http://www.plumbingzone.com/f2/water-heater-price-increase-30866/

Mark - Unless you have a leaking tank....  Repair is now a viable option.

I had a 50 lowboy recently in a condo that I put a thermostat/ heater repair kit in for $40

I've replaced both of the elements in in my current tank twice.   There is so much sediment deposited in my tank, I believe it's impossible to leak, heh, the volume just gets smaller.

went with a tankless instant for my domestic hot water and heating, love it. ( and a gigantic savings over the oil system I ripped out )

Tankless will start to become a much better choice for people, specially anyone who has a water heater in a tight space.   I suspect that a lot of people will also add Domestic Hot Water to their high efficiency boilers.    When I installed my high efficiency modulating condensing boiler in 2012, I used the hydraulic separator with stubs for DHW even though I have an electric heater now.  

There's no question that getting a more efficient water heater in place is a good thing for energy usage, it's just that the costs to install direct venting or electric hybrids could push out the ROI beyond the life of the tank.   If you have an easy retrofit, you may see savings in the 2nd or 3rd year, but if you require extensive retrofitting, it's just a bunch of extra money to get the same thing you have now.

I am glad I replaced my water heater last year as well, it wasn't leaking yet but would run out of hot water rather quickly. Also it had a manufacture date of 1994 or 95 I think so it was time for it to go.

I've replaced both of the elements in in my current tank twice.   There is so much sediment deposited in my tank, I believe it's impossible to leak, heh, the volume just gets smaller.

Mark - You can and should get the sediment out.  Pull the valve right off and coat hanger that puppy.

Mark - You can and should get the sediment out.  Pull the valve right off and coat hanger that puppy.

You're funny.    My well is 450 feet deep in a mountain know for Iron Ore deposits.    The Iron bacteria that live in my water are like coral, depositing iron on the inside of the tank and welding it together in a crystalline like structure that would require a hammer and chisel to remove.

this is why i like my oil heat. it's the same basic setup that was in this house in the 50's. the oil furnace heats both the house, and my hot water. only a small 30 gallon tank, but i still never run outta hot water, as the furnace fires up pretty quickly, and keeps me runnin'.

We have been talking about this at master plumber association meetings for the past few years. The Bradford White company was fighting against this federally for a while. They finally lost the fight so its happening. The thing people don't realize is the size difference of some of these new tanks, they are way larger than whats currently out there. If you have a water heater in a closet that just fits now, replace it before its too late to get an old tank. The new ones are not going to fit in the same space. This is going to add a lot of cost to installs of replacement heaters. Most will have to be completely re piped when we change them. Most guys are charging between $900-1500 for a heater depending on what's needed. Expect water heater installs to start around $1,500 and up after this takes full effect.

Replaced my leaking tank (from 1999) two weeks ago. New standard required the existing 3" vent to be replaced by a 4".

That wasn't a new standard, its been in the code for years. Most inspectors just recently discovered they could bust balls for it lol...

any gas appliances over 40,000 btu must use 4" minimum. If you have a water heater thats 38,000 for example 3" flue pipe is still sufficient and allowed by code. The ratings plate on the heater shows the btu output.

Your old heater although probably the same capacity, probably had a lower output than your new heater has. The last few years the output has been increased on most units as they have become more efficient.

How often do those of you with some experience suggest water heaters be replaced? Mine is a 50gal Kenmore manufactured in 2006 and installed in 2007.

That would really depend on what quality of a tank you got in the first place, primarily indicated by the warranty.    A good quality conventional gas water heater will last 20+ years.   A bargain basement electric heater will start leaking 2 days after the 6 year warranty expires.

That would really depend on what quality of a tank you got in the first place, primarily indicated by the warranty.    A good quality conventional gas water heater will last 20+ years.   A bargain basement electric heater will start leaking 2 days after the 6 year warranty expires.

Mine is almost 23 years. But I lovingly refer to it as the "ticking time bomb." :) I'm going to try and get it done before they run out of the older heaters.

this is why i like my oil heat. it's the same basic setup that was in this house in the 50's. the oil furnace heats both the house, and my hot water. only a small 30 gallon tank, but i still never run outta hot water, as the furnace fires up pretty quickly, and keeps me runnin'.

Translation - this is why I like to waste energy heating my entire boiler all summer to provide me with a small bit of endless hot water and potentially polluting the environment with my oil tank as well as the air with all the NOx, CO etc that my ancient 50% efficient burner spews into the atmosphere.  "But it's reliable."

:facepalm:

Translation - this is why I like to waste energy heating my entire boiler all summer to provide me with a small bit of endless hot water and potentially polluting the environment with my oil tank as well as the air with all the NOx, CO etc that my ancient 50% efficient burner spews into the atmosphere. "But it's reliable."

:facepalm:

All new oil tanks are above ground so no potential for leaking into the ground.

As for co2 and nox, wood stoves put out way more gases than oil burners.

I have the same setup except this summer I'm going to add a propane heater inline so I don't have to burn oil during the summer. I don't have a gas hookup at my house so I have no choice but to run oil and propane.

Does that $1500 install include the water heater? HOLY SHIT I'm in the wrong frigging trade!

Yeah that includes the heater. That $1500 price tag is for a 75 gal powervent they aren't cheap. a 40 or 50 gal natural draft or electric I usually get about $900 installed. The bigger the tank or the higher the efficiency the more $$$$ it costs. I make about $300 per install or less, after overhead, materials including the tank, pay help to bring in the new and bring out the old. Some heaters are easy and some are a bitch. Every now and then you get one that takes more than half a day to change. sometimes you get lucky and they take an hour.

How often do those of you with some experience suggest water heaters be replaced? Mine is a 50gal Kenmore manufactured in 2006 and installed in 2007.

Every 7-10 years. Keeping one longer than that is costing more in energy than it would to replace it at that point.

All new oil tanks are above ground so no potential for leaking into the ground.

As for co2 and nox, wood stoves put out way more gases than oil burners.

I have the same setup except this summer I'm going to add a propane heater inline so I don't have to burn oil during the summer. I don't have a gas hookup at my house so I have no choice but to run oil and propane.

Bro you have an Indirect fired water heater, how much oil could you possibly be using in the summer with 2 people in the house? If its more than half a tank your burner needs me!

Boilers heat water, furnaces heat air. You have a boiler. Unless you have hydronic coils in an air handler, then you would still have a boiler that makes the heat for forced air.

Its kinda like calling a "magazine" a "clip" to me, when you say that your furnace makes your hot water lol...

What does a 100 gallon gas hot water tank heater go for these days?

A lot! they are commercial only. Anything commercial is $$$$$. Better off twining two 50 gal heaters together for a residential application IMO.

75 gal is the largest gas fired residential water heater.

80 gal is the largest electric water heater for residential

Anything larger than that is considered commercial.

I will call tomorrow for a price for you on a 100 gal, sit down when you read my post.