So, apparently I suck at the googling. Can't seem to find what I'm looking for online. That means I'm stuck with this lot...

I recently got a blazer that will see some light weekend four wheeling. Given my friends and I don't know when to call it a day we end up leaving the trail in the dark. I want to get some lights to keep me from breaking the truck. 

Are those lights illegal in NJ? I assume it is illegal to run them on the roads but is it illegal to have them on the car at all? I can't seem to think of an instance that a car had them while driving because I never thought about it before.

Also, if you are knowledgeable about said lights, got any suggestions? I don't need a 50" LED light bar that costs $2000 nor do I want junk. I am figuring just two lights on the front bumper to be run by a switch. I'd like to stay below $120 but can be persuaded up to absolute max of $150.

I was looking at the Hella 500 Black Magic at the moment.

Thanks guys. I'll stop keeping this short post from not being short now...

There are DOT approved ones. Generally you can have whatever you want so long as you are not running them on the road. Anything DOT approved that isn't roof mounted is fine on road.

I like KCs.

There are some relatively good and inexpensive off road LED lights on Amazon.  Check out reviews (make sure they are verified purchasers).

Just this morning I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Gizmo-Light-Power-Tractor-Degree/dp/B007ZGBLNW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1416517937&sr=8-6&keywords=led+off+road+lights

They are for a tractor w. front end loader I use for snow removal.  Being they will be on a tractor I really don't care what they look like as long as they perform well.  I'll check back after I get them mounted. 

ETA:  I've had various jeeps and trucks over the last 30 years w. all sorts of off road lights on them.  I've never been hassled by the po po... as long as they weren't on.  :)

It's my understanding that you can have them on the vehicle and use them while offroading, but must put covers on them when on the road. Best thing to do is call an offroad parts supplier that is located in NJ. They should know the NJ laws for installing & using them. The biggest business in my area that deals with offroad vehicles is OK4WD in Stewartsville. Here is their web site http://ok4wd.com/

So, apparently I suck at the googling. Can't seem to find what I'm looking for online. That means I'm stuck with this lot...

I recently got a blazer that will see some light weekend four wheeling. Given my friends and I don't know when to call it a day we end up leaving the trail in the dark. I want to get some lights to keep me from breaking the truck. 

Are those lights illegal in NJ? I assume it is illegal to run them on the roads but is it illegal to have them on the car at all? I can't seem to think of an instance that a car had them while driving because I never thought about it before.

Also, if you are knowledgeable about said lights, got any suggestions? I don't need a 50" LED light bar that costs $2000 nor do I want junk. I am figuring just two lights on the front bumper to be run by a switch. I'd like to stay below $120 but can be persuaded up to absolute max of $150.

I was looking at the Hella 500 Black Magic at the moment.

Thanks guys. I'll stop keeping this short post from not being short now...

I believe as long as they are 55 watt DOT approved. If you put on KC or Hella 150watt ones they have to be covered and for offroad use only. I have 55watt Hella (Rallye 4000) fog lights on the front of my truck. I drive on very dark country roads and like the fog vs. driving beam because the fog beam is wider and I can see deer on the sides of the road. Where as the driving light is for distance.

S.

KC would be my choice. I'm gonna get the hid ones. Rigid are a waste of money since you can get amazon light bars for 200 bucks and they work just as good as the 1500 dollar ones. FYI no one will bother you with lights on a vehicle unless they are on when driving.

NEAHS beat me to it with OK4WD....when I had my '75 Blazer, I used KC Daylighters for off-road.  Several others also used those or Hella.  One guy actually had landing lights off of an old Boeing 707 mounted on the roll bar of his Bronco that would light up the trail enough for the rest of us to turn our lights off...I wouldn't recommend them.

KC has been around forever and has always made quality products.

There are DOT approved ones. Generally you can have whatever you want so long as you are not running them on the road. Anything DOT approved that isn't roof mounted is fine on road.

I like KCs.

Not true. NJ statute limits you to exactly one pair of auxiliary driving lights, even if dot approved. They must be DOT white or DOT amber. 

1 thing also no one mentioned said lights come in 2 styles FLOOD and or PROJECTION . The flood style spreads the light out all over , Projection tends to throw light more straight . I tend to have both on my truck for different situations. 

Tommy R. I did mention it above. Fog light vs. driving light. Fog puts out a wider beam.

Honestly, I dont find those descriptions to be helpful... They are nothing like the patterns on other wise normal cars... The flood lights are like a flashlight with a super wide reflector, like work lights.. The Spots are like a super focused beam, a true spot light. Many companies call them different things, but driving lights are more comparable to floods.

One guy actually had landing lights off of an old Boeing 707 mounted on the roll bar of his Bronco that would light up the trail enough for the rest of us to turn our lights off...I wouldn't recommend them.

but that sounds like wayyyyyyy more fun. where on earth would you get something like that anyway... you know for science...

but that sounds like wayyyyyyy more fun. where on earth would you get something like that anyway... you know for science...

He was an aircraft mechanic for Allegheny Airlines...they came off of a plane that was being scrapped.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Those lights are fine, I've seen guys running them without any problems from LE or MVC in South Jersey.

I have LED amber lights in the grill on my 1976 K5 Blazer, I did the install myself but everything was under $150 and they are ******* bright at night! I would not attempt to run them on-road. You COULD run amber on-road with a permit from MVC but you would need commercial tags and proof you own/work for a construction company and be on the job...other loop holes exist for that pemit FYI but local PD needs to sign off on it.

Light bars (amber only), grill lights (amber only) and most flood lights are legal in NJ...running them is another story but off-road very few would care