D. Stallone

Quick Question Before Starting My AR Build.

In the next week or two, I am going to have my dad order a lower for me. Only reason is because he can get the one I want for cheaper. My question is, or really making sure I follow the "rules", even though the lower will be under my dads name, do I still need to follow the rules to keep it Jersey legal?

Well, I am 25 and I do have my FID. I only asked because I will be building it at my dads and I wanted to know what I would need to do to it to make it jersey legal in case I wanted to bring it back here and shoot it at the range.

And yea, I probably should have added this to the first post.

Now that I think about it, if I`m building it there, and I want to bring it here, I should just look at the laws for the this state..

I guess your dad is out of state? Where?

Better question, what's preventing YOU from buying it from the place your dad will get it from? If the vendor is out of state, buy it with your money and have the vendor ship it to a NJ FFL and go through NICS with your info.

If not, your dad can buy the lower he wants to get for his build, you can help him build it if he's not familiar with the process including it making it compliant for someone in NJ to purchase. Then if he decides to sell it and you like the AR, maybe you can buy it following normal processes.

In the next week or two, I am going to have my dad order a lower for me. Only reason is because he can get the one I want for cheaper. My question is, or really making sure I follow the "rules", even though the lower will be under my dads name, do I still need to follow the rules to keep it Jersey legal?

What you're describing is a straw purchase.

Legal: Your dad buys a lower, does the BGC, and gifts it to you. 

Illegal: Your dad buys a lower, does the BGC, you pay him, he gives you the lower.

Federally speaking, anyway.  Not being a NJ FFL, I can't say I'm familiar enough to say there isn't anything at the state level that you'd be running afoul of.

How much money are you actually saving? For a few dollars more, buy it yourself through a NJGF Vendor.

Irrespective of the rifles origin, if you plan on bringing it to NJ, even as a non-resident, it must be compliant. Lowers aren't that expensive that the savings could be worth much never mind running afoul of federal gun laws.

Don't do it, for all the reasons above. Lowers are cheap, buy it yourself.

My understanding is that to make it a straw purchase, he must be ineligible to purchase said lower.  He said he has an FID card, which makes him eligible to purchase the lower.  So, what makes this a straw purchase?

I hate to cite Wikipedia, however it was linked earlier.  Pulled straight from the link.

Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if (depending on recent rulings of the USSC) the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services.