Sign in to follow this  
rlrock

223 or 357 lever?

I am looking for a larger caliber lever action to accompany my Henry Silver Eagle 22.

I have narrowed it down to a 357 Henry and a Browning BLR in 223.

The rifle is for range use, not hunting.

Any input and help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A very modern action vs. a more traditional one. Interesting contrast.

I have a soft spot for BLR's, they are well-made guns. I'd pick the BLR. (And you could hunt with it in NJ should ever want to for varmints/furbearers.) 

I didn't know you could hunt with a 223. Interesting option. I wonder how accurate the BLR is. My Henry shoots lights out at 25yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BLR is not a varmint rifle.  IMHO it just doesn't have it in the accuracy department.

The BLR is not a varmint rifle.  IMHO it just doesn't have it in the accuracy department.

Agree, I would not call the BLR a 300-400 yard 'chuck rifle, but for under 200 yards this would be an adequate fox/coyote rifle given the rifle's limitations (lightweight barrel and sometimes mushy trigger-pull.) When calling critters, shots often aren't far out, so furbearers should be well within the rifle's and rifleman's limitations in NJ's wooded areas.

You can get a BLR to shoot MOA with some judicious handloading, and some tinkering of a trigger spring, at least that's been my experience; although I'm not familiar with one chambered in .223.

Well, I made my decision and purchase. I got the Henry Big Boy .357 from Ron at Legacy. What a rifle! I hope to get a chance to shoot it next week after CJRPC reopens. I ordered a matching Skinner sight as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk