this_is_nascar

Recommend a .223 Rifle

I've been told that .223 ammo is not terribly expensive in the scope of things.  I'm looking for a new rifle, that's a step-up in power from the .22 platform and the .223 is what's been suggested numerous times.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune and would prefer to keep it less than $750.  I'd like something that feed from a magazine, that has at least 10-round capacity.  Anything up to and including 15-round capacity would be acceptable.  I know that Ruger has a real nice unit, feed by a rotary magazine, but I think that only holds 4 or 5 rounds.  I'm not into modding, etc, so I want something new and right off the shelf that I can start enjoying.  It will be used for plinking and target shooting.

Let's have at it.

AR-15 all the way and a ton of possibilities out there in your price range. Try one out and you'll be hooked. There are a lot of guys in the forum that would host you at a range to give it a try, myself included except the distance is long. Also, if you are turned off by the loudness, remember it doesn't have to have a comp and that quiets perceived noise. I have both a comped upper and one without so if you don't get any other offers to try, PM me.

If you want a bolt action with magazine in 10-15 round capacity mossberg mvp.

If you want accurate and bolt but with 5 rounds think about savage or Remington.

If you want semi auto customizable with 10-15 rounds AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR-15 all the way and a ton of possibilities out there in your price range. Try one out and you'll be hooked. There are a lot of guys in the forum that would host you at a range to give it a try, myself included except the distance is long. Also, if you are turned off by the loudness, remember it doesn't have to have a comp and that quiets perceived noise. I have both a comped upper and one without so if you don't get any other offers to try, PM me.

Thanks.  I appreciate the suggestions and offer.

If you want a bolt action with magazine in 10-15 round capacity mossberg mvp.

If you want accurate and bolt but with 5 rounds think about savage or Remington.

If you want semi auto customizable with 10-15 rounds AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions.

I recently picked up a Kel-Tec SU-16 B and it's a really fun gun to shoot. I got mine for less than $500 with shipping and transfer fees on Gun Broker. Last time I took it to the range I didn't even get to shooting my AR, I used all my ammo on the Kel-Tec.

I do have to say that I have seen some bad reviews on the gun and Kel-Tec in general but, so far mine has worked flawlessly with about 300 rounds through it.

I recently picked up a Kel-Tec SU-16 B and it's a really fun gun to shoot. I got mine for less than $500 with shipping and transfer fees on Gun Broker. Last time I took it to the range I didn't even get to shooting my AR, I used all my ammo on the Kel-Tec.

I do have to say that I have seen some bad reviews on the gun and Kel-Tec in general but, so far mine has worked flawlessly with about 300 rounds through it.

Thanks.  I'll put that on my list to research.

223/556 is not as economical as you may think if you are planning on getting an AR platform.  It's true that the ammo is relatively cheap, but boy does it go fast wit a SA.  Based on your post though, I don't think thats what you are looking for.  Finding a bolt action with a 10-15 rd capacity severely restricts your options.  If you insist on a large capacity mag ( what is considered large for a bolt gun anyway) consider a Ruger Gunsite Scout.  For absolute value though, I believe that the Ruger American Predator is the best out there.  The Predator is a true .223 Remington, so you can't shoot NATO ammo from it.  The Gunsite will shoot both 223 and 556 safely but it ain't a cheap rifle.

If you do decide on a  AR15 platform there is the S&W Sport which can be found for under $600 and is a excellant plinker. It keeps to your non-mod issue and is a KISS gun out of the box. No forward assist or dust cover options. AR. mags are very popular in 5,10.15 rds.  Also they make a NJ compliant model ready to go I think the mod # ends in 037.Love mine. Good luck.

Last time I dropped in at Heritage Guild in Easton, they had a ton of ARs actually on a clearance rack that fits your budget.  It's probably a little far though.

2 years ago, it was quite the challenge to find one at all in my area, let alone for a reasonable price, now they're on clearance!  lol!

(Sportsman's Center in Hamilton wanted 2k for a heavily used AR, back in the panic)

I prefer the 5.56 chambered rifles just to have more options when I see a decent sale on bulk ammo here and there.  For instance, I've walked in several stores to find an unadvertised special on the 500-round deals in the storage boxes for 5.56 but regular price on .223, so if I want to impulse buy, it doesn't matter which.

You should buy a bolt action rifle and an AR lower. That way, you have an economical bolt action that shoots well and can slowly invest in an AR.

I have an AR and my dad has an extremely nice 223 bolt action. I like that I can shoot golf balls on the cheap. Three boxes of ammo is nothing in an AR, yet an afternoons worth or more in the bolt action.

If you do decide on a  AR15 platform there is the S&W Sport which can be found for under $600 and is a excellant plinker. It keeps to your non-mod issue and is a KISS gun out of the box. No forward assist or dust cover options. AR. mags are very popular in 5,10.15 rds.  Also they make a NJ compliant model ready to go I think the mod # ends in 037.Love mine. Good luck.

X2 I am big on walnut and polished steel, so I was a bit hesitant on buying an AR. Do it! I bought a S&W Sport NJ Special for under $600, and it's an unbelievable shooter. Pick up a few extra mags at $12-15 dollars, and it happily shoots PMC .223 ammo, which is plentiful at $6 to $7 a box

Wait until you realize it is the only one of its kind, the shinny bits are copper plating over aluminum, all the parts had to be made at a different spec then the final spec to account for the plating thickness, the wood is very much real but for the handguard it is a veneer over carbon fiber. It is also a side charger if you notice.

Oh and the owner/maker intends to never polish the copper and let it age naturally for that worn penny look.

THAT is how you do custom ARs.

I picked out a Mossberg MVP 223/556 rifle and am real happy with it. Takes AR style mag's fro when I build a AR at some point in the future. But I really like shooting a bolt action cause I save more on ammo by taking my time shooting one round at a time and not blowing through everything that I can carry out to the range in 15 mins.

Something about working the bolt each time I fire a round that puts a smile on my face and stress free.

Good luck picking out your rifle.

But I really like shooting a bolt action cause I save more on ammo by taking my time shooting one round at a time and not blowing through everything that I can carry out to the range in 15 mins.

I have seen/heard this a few times and it confuses me each time.

This is a software issue, not a hardware one.

Just sayin'....

Good luck on the hunt for a new rifle.

My vote is for an AR pattern rifle.

Almost any caliber is a step up from .22 in power. .17 HMR is very accurate and a little cheaper than .223. .223 would obviously work better for self defense. 9mm is also cheaper than .223 and is fun to plink with in a rifle, especially with the extra velocity. I would guess most .223 are more accurate, though. .17 HM2 is neat and has longer range, great for blowing up small varmints or fruit (plinking). But a step down in power if you meant energy.

Just throwing some other ideas out there. Can't go wrong with an AR. But there is cheaper for target or plinking (at closer range).