Celraysoda

Moonshine recommendations?

Anybody have any good suggestions for an authentic (or close to it) moonshine? I've been reading a lot of reviews and have been leaning towards Tim Smith's Climax although hard to find here in NJ. I see Ole Smokey everywhere but read that it tastes chemically, harsh and is closer to vodka.

Ole Smokey is alright. The original clear stuff is harsh, but it's also very strong. I've tried the blueberry and apple pie, both were not bad but it's not something I would drink frequently. It took my gf and I a long time to finish each. I ended up throwing them out when they were 3/4 empty.

I actually just made my own last night. With the abundance of apples right now at our local orchards, I brought brown sugar, honey, fresh unfiltered apple cider, and water to a boil and added cinnamon sticks and cinnamon powder. Simmered for a little, then put it in a gallon-size mason jar and added 4-5 cut up apples (winesap and pink lady's) and a few more cinnamon sticks as well as rum, everclear and a little bit of vanilla vodka for a little flavor.

I'll let it sit for another month and lightly shake it once a week and see how it turns out. It tasted good when I test-tasted it before sealing the jar, but we will see. I've never done it before but it was easy and everyone raves about this on that Pinterest my gf is always on. I thought I'd give it a shot.

+1 for midnight moon it is pretty close to the real macoy (pun intended) and their fruit flavored ones are not made with fruit flavoring just real fruit and they are not watered down like allot of others all but the apple pie are 100 proof and the Apple pie is 80. Old smokey Apple pie is only 40 proof I think. Personally I like the real stuff best though

I drive back and forth down south a lot.

It seems shine has become the boutique drink lately.

Bonded shine is less than authentic IMHO.

On the other hand...I'm a little scared to drink the "back yard" stuff.

Just saying.

I've got family down south and sometimes shine magically shows up here in the north.  Bonded isn't as "authentic," but sometimes it's the only option.  I wouldn't try anything from an untrusted & untested source.

yup I would never drink the back woods stuff from an unknown and trusted source. Also the stuff is made every where. in 2002 their was an explosion in Philly that destroyed a building because six 500 gall pots went up. its just like everything else black market its in every city and state

Peaches in hooch tastes fantastic. Get a can of peaches, dump some sugar in, then fill the whole thing in a quart mason with moonshine/ethanol/everclear. You want to use 190ish proof stuff because it gets diluted in the peaches.

Are we talking "shine" or are we talking drinks made from shine like "Apple Pie"?

If you're asking about true "Shine", then the only way your going to get something that 

tastes like real shine is to cut Everclear to a alcohol % that you can stand drinking.

In my opinion, none of the commercial liquors that are made come close to real shine

in taste; but the are two distinct types of shine (Sugarhead which is made from Sugar, and

Corn liquor, which is made from corn) both have distictfully different tastes.

If anyone is interested, I can send you my reciepe for Apple Pie...........????

This is how I make Apple pie:

1 qt. Apple Cider (I use the pure / un-filtered type)

1 qt Apple Juice (I use this to add just enough sugar to make it right)

5 Large Cinnamon Sticks (If you like more cinnamon taste, add some powder)

Place the above in pot and bring to a boil

Remove the pot from stove and let cool to just below 165 degrees, then add 

2 qts of shine (you can use Everclear) and stir for a minute or two.

I take a strainer and place a couple of broken cinnamon stick inside and then 

pour the apple pie through the strainer into mason jars.

When done I place a cinnamon stick in each jar (1 whole stick for a qt, 1/2 for a pint jar)

and then cap them quickly.

They should seal themselves at that point as long as they don't cool too much

Your Done!

Notes:

Do not add the shine to the boiling cider,as it will evaporate quickly, this is why I let 

it cool to 165 +/- (I use an inferred Thermometer, but any will do).

Some people like using juice only, that is a matter of taste - have fun experimenting!

The recipe above should yield a gallon of Apple Pie, and the shine I use is approx.180 proof.

If you use Everclear (198 proof) your Apple pie should test out to approx. 95-98 proof when done.

If you prefer a lighter brew, you can  go with 1 qt of shine to every 2 qts of juice and you should run

at approx. 60 - 65 proof +/-

Good Luck!

Another great holiday treat:

Take 1 pt mason jar and fill with Marachino cherries

• You can rinse the cherries if you like
  • I prefer to add some of the syrup to cut the taste

Fill with shine (Everclear) and seal

Depending upon the proof of the liquor, and the amount of syrup

you can have anywhere from 50 proof to 180 proof cherries as a

holiday hand out, or to share with family & friends........... 

I've seen midnight moon on the shelf. I may give that a shot. Climax is available online but I'm not willing to pay for shipping that's almost as much for the bottle.

Would it be some "generic" site that ships it, because I don't see it offered for sale on the Climax site itself.... All I see are "Climax" branded accessories (clothing, sipping jars, etc.). The Climax site does tell you (based on location) where you can buy it in brick & mortar stores. The closest point to NJ seems to be Wilmington, DE.

If you happen to be in CT at any point keep an eye out for Hickory Ledges Full Moonshine. They have Apple Pie, Cranberry, or Maple Syrup all made on a local farm/distillery in Canton, CT. I've had the apple pie which is incredibly good but the maple syrup one was a bit rough. I'll be buying several bottles when I'm up there this weekend to supply all the holiday parties.

post-5630-141702328455_thumb.jpg

I recommend NOT drinking an entire bottle of moonshine in one night. The projectile vomit is horrible and your wife will be really mad when you pass out and don't get the entire bathroom clean first.

Would it be some "generic" site that ships it, because I don't see it offered for sale on the Climax site itself.... All I see are "Climax" branded accessories (clothing, sipping jars, etc.). The Climax site does tell you (based on location) where you can buy it in brick & mortar stores. The closest point to NJ seems to be Wilmington, DE.

Yes, I googled it and found a few online wine stores that carry it.

I highly recommend the Midnight Moon strawberry. The berries are horrible but the booze is great. I've tried the other Midnight Moon flavors and they are OK but my fav is the strawberry.

^ I have a Jar of the strawberry too but my favorite is the clear or the blackberry my wife likes the strawberry the best. I was down in NC in September and I went on a train ride where we tasted all the flavors of Midnight moon. It was one hell of a train ride! the Cranberry flavor is terrible and yeah the fruit is nasty, My wife tried to eat a whole strawberry and started coughing like crazy I thought she was going to puke. The cool thing about Midnight Moon is that they do not use any artificial flavors or syrups. to flavor it all they do is simply add the fruit and let it do its thing. Also as someone stated that its Junior Johnsons family recipe that he went to jail for bootlegging it when he was a teenager. 

I highly recommend the Midnight Moon strawberry. The berries are horrible but the booze is great. I've tried the other Midnight Moon flavors and they are OK but my fav is the strawberry.

The cherry shine and and sprite is a dangerous combination. I love getting people to eat one if the cherries too. Tastes great and horrible and great at the same time.