ChrisJM981

Randolph NJ DPW

I'm curious if any other member here that lives in Randolph had any issues with the DPW plowing all the leaves into their driveway today. I don't what the issue is, but nobody else on my street has crap buried 5 feet up their driveway on my street.

I moved my leaf pile yesterday because I know the same thing would have happened to me if I did not. In their defense though what are the plow guys to do if they don't plow sections of the road because of leaf piles then its a hazard and if they do plow everything some of it is going to get pushed into driveways 

The trick is to blow the pile downstream of your driveway, then it becomes your neighbors problem lol.

I admit I'm the guy driving around town smashing garbage cans. I actually did nail one last week on south road that blew out in front of my work van no way I was stopping in time, no place to swerve to safely.

Towns letting leaves piled in the street for weeks and weeks is lame anyway. It's always a clusterfuck when it snows and the leaves just blow back into yards anyway. The ordinance should be to brown bag the leaves and the town should come once a week to pick them up during the season. If you're one of those rich folk who have landscapers tell them to haul them away. If you blow your own roll you're sleeves up and bag those things. If it's 30 bags so be it.

I've never had that happen, lived in Randolph for almost 30 years.  But I rarely put leaves on the street, rather blow them into the woods behind my house as the town suggests.  You really can't blame the driver as it is hard to even see that leaves are there under the snow and many times they can't easily change the direction they are going quickly.  BTW I don't think you are allowed to have leaves in the street for more than seven days.  I know last night they were speed plowing running a small truck down my street on the wrong side of the road at about 35-40 mph (speed limit is 25).

If you have an issue call the town manager they are very good about helping out.  BTW Kathy who handles pistol permits and FID stuff is WONDERFUL!  No need to make appointments, there every day, and she is fast on service.

Towns letting leaves piled in the street for weeks and weeks is lame anyway. It's always a clusterfuck when it snows and the leaves just blow back into yards anyway. The ordinance should be to brown bag the leaves and the town should come once a week to pick them up during the season. If you're one of those rich folk who have landscapers tell them to haul them away. If you blow your own roll you're sleeves up and bag those things. If it's 30 bags so be it.

Here in Flemington we don't have to bag our leaves but the town does not let them sit in the road either. up until this week they vacuumed up my piles every week. Usually on Thursdays for my house so I did not expect them to pick them up today. I also keep a large amount of the leaves to mix into my compost for my garden in the spring.

That seems to be the New England way. In coastal New Hampshire I have 35 bags of leaves in 4foot tall doubly ply paper trash bags sitting on my lawn, waiting for the one leaf pickup day. Said bags are now sitting in and covered by several inches of snow from last night. I will take Jersey-style curbside leaf pickup any day of the week.

My problem wasn't with the leaves, as much as it was with the driver leaving the giant pile in front of my driveway. He pushed it directly into it. You could see the curvature of the plow in the packed snow/leaves. Shoveling leaves is very tedious. It's in a giant pile next to my neighbor. It's the town's problem now. ;)

I never understood why anybody put any work into raking leaves.  A lawnmower will mulch them into non-existence with much less work.  Plus, leaves are part of the natural environment.  I don't do anything with mine - they blow away eventually.  Of course, I don't have any neighbors to complain.

I read the original post and thought we were talking about a 5' high pile of leaves and snow.  After seeing the pictures, I realize we're talking about a 5' WIDE and 1' HIGH pile of leaves and snow.  I'd drive over it if it was my driveway but if you need it gone, 5 minutes with a shovel should do it.

City People :icon_rolleyes:

I never understood why anybody put any work into raking leaves.  A lawnmower will mulch them into non-existence with much less work.  Plus, leaves are part of the natural environment.  I don't do anything with mine - they blow away eventually.  Of course, I don't have any neighbors to complain.

I read the original post and thought we were talking about a 5' high pile of leaves and snow.  After seeing the pictures, I realize we're talking about a 5' WIDE and 1' HIGH pile of leaves and snow.  I'd drive over it if it was my driveway but if you need it gone, 5 minutes with a shovel should do it.

City People :icon_rolleyes:

I wish I could mulch them but I live with and take care of an elderly person whos lawn was her life so for the sake of my sanity I take care of the leaves but yeah no raking here I bag em with the mower and dump it on the street unless it goes to the compost

My leaves go in the woods in the backyard. I believe my town stopped doing leave pickup this year. But in 16 years being here always in the woods in the backyard. I was plowing yesterday town roads also we go curb to curb unless there is a car or trash cans in the way.

When I was doing construction in Central NJ (North Jersey to me now), I used to tip the DPW people in lots of towns all over the middle of the state.  It's amazing how large a pile of construction debris will disappear with the regular trash pickup for a $20 bill.  Of course that was 20 years ago, I'm sure the tip has gone up by now.  Cheaper than a dumpster.