Polak

Interested in an Over Under...help

I'm thinking of getting an over/under and I have no idea where to start. Would be used for trap and maybe hunting if I ever try it.

I'd like one with ejectors. I don't want to pay a fortune since it would rarely be used.

The Winchester 101 seems nice but $1100 seems much.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Firearms/Shotguns/Over-Under-Shotguns|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105537780/i/104802480/Winchester174-101-Field-Over-Under-Shotgun/1318818.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fover-under-shotguns%2F_%2FN-1114872%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104802480%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat105537780&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105537780%3Bcat104802480

HELP me decide/find one.

I just bought a used Tri-Star O/U so far i am very happy with it and used it was 350 i think they start at 500 or so. I dont plan on using it a ton so it will work for me for the time being. If you are going to use it a lot I would go a more robust gun a but it is going to cost somewhere north of 1000. O/U are not cheap guns. 

Your not going to find much if anything with ejectors below $1000. That's an extractor budget. I like my Browning Citori but they are in the $2k and up range depending on the wood. I also have a traditions I believe was around $1600 that also has ejectors. I skeet shoot with a Mossberg silver reserve trap model $700 was the price tag on that one. It has the ported barrels and comes with extractors not ejectors unfortunately. But it's easy on the shoulder after a full day of shooting.

My buddy has his Stoger sent out right now for firing pin repair, they refuse to warranty it as well.

If you were to go the Stoeger route, There is A easy fix for the firing pin problem. Take off the butt pad (philips screwdriver)

Remoce the stock (10MM socket with 12"extension) Then clean the firing pins and springs. After cleaning take A pair of pliers and tighten the 2 nuts on the pin adjusters. Put it back together and go shoot it.

I have A Stoeger that is 4 years old and shoot clays and trap at least twice A month.  No problems with it at all.

I just cant see 2 grand for an O/U when I can hit an average 21 of 25 in trap, And 40 out of 50 Clays.

But others have different thoughts.

Now when it comes to my Sigs, Then thats A different story.

Stoeger does have A Condor O/U with adjustable stock for right around $550.00. I know Tanners stock them. Plus it has A selective trigger.  

Look into the Stoeger Condor. I picked one up at Dicks a few years back and I think I paid about $400 on sale (may be more now). I've put about 1K rounds through it and have never had a problem.

Although I have heard of firing pin issues via the web (and noted by Ogfarmer and others) I was amazed watching a newbie shooting a 20 gauge Stoeger Condor.  She was doing very well - and this was only her second time out, using a borrowed Condor.  The gun's owner, an avid shooter, said he's never had a problem with the shotgun.

There's also a guy that has been trying to sell a valmet 412 on the New Jersey Hunter list for awhile.  Asking $500 but "negotiable".  What's interesting about the valmets is that they can also take rifle barrels; turning them into a double rifle.

And finally, you can watch the gun broker site...they usually have several floating around in your price range...this tag is set to check all "over under shotguns" for sale in NJ:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Over-Under-Shotguns/BI.aspx?State=NJ

Honestly 2k in the world of over under shotguns is really on the cheap side of the spectrum. Serious shooters usually use guns that start at the 5k mark and up from what I've experienced. Ive shot high end over unders, I realize why they cost what they do. Your paying for the quality for sure, when you have a gun like that in hand you can actually feel the differences. Maybe its just me, but I compare it to driving around an Honda Accord, yeah its a nice car gets you to were you have to go. But sometimes its nice to cruise in a corvette on the weekend. Just my opinion.

The Silver Reserve Trap is harder to find...

No doubt, I hunted for that gun when it first hit the market around 03-04. Wound up buying it from Frank at Silver Bullet. At that time I didn't realize what an A-hole he was lol.

Honestly 2k in the world of over under shotguns is really on the cheap side of the spectrum. Serious shooters usually use guns that start at the 5k mark and up from what I've experienced. Ive shot high end over unders, I realize why they cost what they do. Your paying for the quality for sure, when you have a gun like that in hand you can actually feel the differences. Maybe its just me, but I compare it to driving around an Honda Accord, yeah its a nice car gets you to were you have to go. But sometimes its nice to cruise in a corvette on the weekend. Just my opinion.

Yes That is correct.  But its all about what your mindset is for whatever Gun you are buying. If I was to run across A higher end O/U at A steal of A price I would buy it.

Yes That is correct. But its all about what your mindset is for whatever Gun you are buying. If I was to run across A higher end O/U at A steal of A price I would buy it.

Makes two of us. If you ever do come across one at a deal and don't have the funds yourself, steer it my way lol.

Quality can be affordable, a used japanese over and under will run 600-900, this will be all you need and a fine investment, a browning citori, a weatherby, the list goes on, avoid new on a budget, it just doesnt make sense when there is so much good used choices out there. Be sure to do your homework on what constitutes a proper fit so the gun matches you, very important.

Many think the bottom of the high-end market is the Browning Citori.  That's an attractive spot in the market, I think, as there is virtually no top to the high-end market, and I can't justify buying an O/U that costs somewhere between a new car and a starter home.

Browning introduced the Citori Crossover Target at the Shot Show this year, and if you can find one they are running $1800 or so--a fair bit less than most Citoris sell for.  Ottomanelli's had one a month or two ago.   It's a huge amount of gun for the money, though too new to find on the used market yet, I'd think.

Otherwise, I agree that finding a used quality O/U is likely to be a better deal than a new bargain model.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail-historic.asp?fid=008B&cid=013&tid=639