irishpete

Cheap optics for a Stag Model 3

So what happens when you shoot a gun with a red dot and both eyes open? That might help with the dominant eye issue. I've shot red dots in 3gun for a couple of years and up to 250 yards it's fine if you zero for 200. 300 and out it gets rough but on the east coast that is rare outside major matches

So I ended up going with the bushnell 1X32 and attached it today.

So now its just a matter of getting to the range

and it turns out the bushnell has BUI's built in at the top of the scope so no need for the offset sights....which is neat as the offset sights give the gun an odd profile lying down and rifle would not have fit in the current case.

post-3329-0-08862000-1418858713_thumb.jpg

I'm following this thread because I'm considering the Model 3L. Being in the same boat as irishpete, do you think this might be a good choice for an optic?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681955/bsa-stealth-tactical-red-dot-sight-1x-30mm-5-moa-red-green-and-blue-dot-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a rule of thumb, stay away from optics with rails on them. Generally, that is a hint that they are more interested in being "cool" then useful. if you are going to buy a $100 red dot, please buy the Primary Arms one, they are excellent for the price, unlike any BSA product I've ever seen, in my experience I would be upset if someone gave me one for free.

Wait three And get a used aimpoint pro for $350

Or one on sale new. If you are willing to wait and save your money, the aimpoint pro can be had for about $350-$375 on various sales.

The other thing though ... if you don't plan to take it to war, there are perfectly fine cheaper dots out there. The Primary Arms Micro-Dots are between $70 and $170 for various versions and are actually very good. I've been abusing one for years now with no ill effects. The latest one is actually tempting me to buy another one, even though I don't have anything to put it on. Their top of the line is $170 2MOA dot, with 50k hours on one battery and 3 year warranty. That is getting to aimpoint territory, for a lot less money.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

Or one on sale new. If you are willing to wait and save your money, the aimpoint pro can be had for about $350-$375 on various sales.

The other thing though ... if you don't plan to take it to war, there are perfectly fine cheaper dots out there. The Primary Arms Micro-Dots are between $70 and $170 for various versions and are actually very good. I've been abusing one for years now with no ill effects. The latest one is actually tempting me to buy another one, even though I don't have anything to put it on. Their top of the line is $170 2MOA dot, with 50k hours on one battery and 3 year warranty. That is getting to aimpoint territory, for a lot less money.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

Intriguing......

I don't have any plans to take it to war. I just want something to take to the range for plinking and see how accurate I can get. Maybe if I get a chance some kind of weekend warrior tactical training class with my friends or something. So it doesn't have to be something you would take to war but I'd like something decent.

So I'm looking at different reviews and I think I'll end up giving that Primary Arms a shot (no pun intended lol). I really like the look of the Eotechs but I'm just not gonna spend that kind of $$ on an optic. I see why someone would and maybe someday when my salary increases I will too, but just not right now.

So I'm looking at different reviews and I think I'll end up giving that Primary Arms a shot (no pun intended lol). I really like the look of the Eotechs but I'm just not gonna spend that kind of $$ on an optic. I see why someone would and maybe someday when my salary increases I will too, but just not right now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got an eo EXPS 2-0 for <$400 by watching sales and rebates. It can be done. Be patient and save your pennies.

Would I need any special adapter to put it on the stock rails of the SA Model 3 (if that is what I end up getting)?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,if you'd like it at a comfortable height. There is absolute and lower 1/3 co-witness ( please Google first ). Its up to you what you prefer. My preference is the latter.

I use the magpul poly rear sights. My one ar has the a2 front and the other is a Midwest industries rail height front sight cause of the gas block I have (stag model 3h). If it were me I'd call them with the order and ask them to put the a2 gas block on instead to be honest. The railed block is a pain in the ass

Avoid the railed gas blocked if possible. Get a low profile or a standards A2 front sight assembly.

If you are wanting true BUIS for a decent RDS then the Magpul MBUS are good to go.

Of irons are going to be my primary sighting method I would go with Troy if I wanted flip ups and either DD or LaRue/PRI if I wanted fixed iron sights.

The flip-ups are a bit more $$, but allow you to move the sights out of the way when you finally get a RDS.

Fixed front and rear flip up is also a nice combo. That's what most of my rifles are. After a while, you don't even see the front sight in your RDS window anymore.

Since I'm a lefty I'm going for the Stag Arms because every hardcore lefty I know gives them high marks (plus I haven't heard anything negative at all about them so that's a good sign). So I'm looking at the 2L and 3L. I'd really like the 2L with the Diamondhead handguards. The 3L looks like it comes with the gas block front sight so I see why you say get the A2 flip up instead.

Since I'm a lefty I'm going for the Stag Arms because every hardcore lefty I know gives them high marks (plus I haven't heard anything negative at all about them so that's a good sign). So I'm looking at the 2L and 3L. I'd really like the 2L with the Diamondhead handguards. The 3L looks like it comes with the gas block front sight so I see why you say get the A2 flip up instead.

I know I told you this in your other thread, but getting a Stag lefty rifle is a bad choice in my opinion. As I stated, I have seen 6 of them in classes. All 6 broke down so bad they could not complete the course. The shooters completed the training with standard ARs and were happier for it. One of the guys I keep in touch with regularly. He sold his and bought a standard BCM.

The Stags are a sub 5k round rifle reliability wise.

All of the hard shooting lefties I know - most of whom are either in very special military units with a high operational tempo or are LEO with a significant CQB and shooting background - choose standard ARs over lefty models with no complaints.

I know you have your heart set on it but I felt compelled to try to talk you out of it one more time.

Good luck with your purchase either way.

Man this puts me in a tough spot. I believe what you're saying but other guys I've talked to are all saying for a lefty AR go with Stag Arms. Was it a particular model SA your pals using? How long ago was this? They give their weapons lifetime transferable warranties. I feel like God forbid I'm ever in a SHTF situation I would be fine shooting a standard AR - I've been doing it so far and have plenty of friends that would hand one to me to have me on their side (I'm not a bad shot on the range). I would just like one that is 100% to my liking - not 90%. Also I'm not saying this will be my last ever AR either. Maybe someday I'll do some tactical training, my SA will break down and it'll be my excuse to justify getting a newer and nicer one at that time LOL

I don't know what model stag other than they were lefties. They were personalized to the shooter as well with optics, light, rails, etc.... These were pretty switched on guys that were good shooters. The gear just wasn't up to the task. This wasn't all at one class either. These are observations from a number of classes over the last 5 years or so.

The other guys you talked to, what's their background like? How much do they shoot? Classes? Carry a rifle for a living? What's their opinion based on? What's it worth?

Not saying my opinion is the end all-be all, just I have had the privilege of occasionally hanging with a lot of experienced shooters who share a lot of their knowdge. I have been to a lot of training and multi day courses, and I fire and observe a lot of rounds down range every year through multiple makers of ARs - although in the last few years, the list is shrinking as the serious users know what works and doesn't work.

Forget SHTF. It's about being a good shooter and having good gear.

Buying a rifle you have reservations about in the plan of ot shitting the bed so you can buy a new one seems like some pretty desperate rationalizing brother. Just sayin'.

As far as buying a Stag of you are going the lefty rifle route, that's probably good advice. I don't know how many companies make lefty rifles. Stag is the only one I know of or have seen, so there's that.

But I am not saying buy Stag if you go lefty, I'm saying - don't go lefty. ;)

Besides, what's not 100% to like about a rifle that runs, is accurate, and you shoot well?

Noveske & Faxon Firearms (if you got deep pockets)

Rock Rover Arms

Stag

All produce left hand uppers.

There was a guy on NJG4S FB looking for a lefty and couple chimed in about their left hand Stags saying they had no issues.

One guy has a 3L model.

Ira @ Legends in Marlboro and Robert @ Cheyenne Gunsmith and Firearms in Manville both can order the Stags.

Yeah it's such a coin toss at this point, but I really haven't heard any other negative reports on the Stags. I'm not buying a gun and planning on it breaking so I can buy a knew one ...I'm saying IF it turns out i get a Stag and it does happen to fail me then I would look to get something of better build/quality.

Like I said I own a stag with the plus package and have put a few thousand rounds through it punching paper and in classes. Never had a failure or issue from day one. Its done me very well.

But there's a reason my next purchase was a bcm. The people I trust, trust them. Plus seeing a gun like filthy 14 just reinforces those opinions.

In the grand scheme of things I don't mind paying a couple hundred extra for something I know is quality.

I definitely appreciate hearing good AND bad reviews of what I'm looking to get. The guys I'm friendly with that shoot are about 50% hobbyists and 50% LEO. My one friend (really good buddy of mine I've known since we're kids) is a Sgt. and he is the guy in his department that brings in the new weapons, trains new guys and runs the bi-annual qualifications. He's extremely knowledgable about all kinds of pistols, ARs/Rifles and shotguns. I shoot his righty ARs all the time. He takes me out to their range occasionally and we do some drills - nothing too crazy. But we have a good time, ya know? That's mainly (and God willing) all I'll ever do with whatever I get. If I was gonna go into some kind of war zone or be shooting competitions, believe me I would pass on anything that got a bad review.

Its all wear items. I know some people think of firearms as heirlooms, but if you shoot enough you'll wear them out and break them.

Buy whatever you want, shoot it until it breaks, and then you'll know more about what you want for your next rifle. You are not choosing your heart surgeon :)

This is true for rifles and optics, although some optics you can look at and immediately know they have a drinking problem an their hands are shacking so don't let them near the scalpel.