John Boy

NJ State Police Investigation Dragging Their Feet?

Anyone else finding that the State Police Investigations Unit is dragging their feet?

* NJ212A electronic Criminal History Record Information Form received by Investigation Unit on November 10,2014

* Approval from State Police Investigation Unit received by Municipal Police Department on November 24, 2014

14 days turn around for an electronic 212A and 20 bucks! 

If this trend continues - I'll do the Criminal History Record request ... manually and save $20.00!

Let me get this straight. After all the horror stories that have appeared in threads on here, you're complaining about 14 days? There are people here that would give their eye teeth for a 14 day non-criminal background check turnaround. Not only is that laudable, but you have a PD that disclosed the timeline to you. I'd say that, for NJ, you have it pretty good.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I believe he is commenting on why are we being forced to pay more for something that should be an instantanous turn around and it is taking 2 weeks!

Imagine paying a premium to receive information faster online than via snail mail (credit history for example) and being told it will take 2 weeks or about the same time as snail mail & it would have only costs you the price of a stamp. And then multiply that money difference by how many permits are applied for each year.

I believe he is commenting on why are we being forced to pay more for something that should be an instantanous turn around and it is taking 2 weeks!

Imagine paying a premium to receive information faster online than via snail mail (credit history for example) and being told it will take 2 weeks or about the same time as snail mail & it would have only costs you the price of a stamp. And then multiply that money difference by how many permits are applied for each year.

The additional $2 is a convenience fee - which it certainly is, especially when you consider a trip to the PO and the cost of a MO. Applying on-line just gets the info to them quicker (by maybe a day or two) the investigative process is the same. Also, it is not so much the time it takes to actually perform the check as it is the time to get to it with the limited manpower and resources.

What stuns me is that apparently his PD has some transparency in the application process by letting him know when the received the results from the NJSP. The usual stumbling block is the mental health background check - especially if you have lived in more than one county in the last ten years - those records must be searched manually in each county of residence - so the 14 day turnaround for the SP-212A is usually moot as it takes longer than that, in most instances, for the mental health check.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The additional $2 is a convenience fee - which it certainly is, especially when you consider a trip to the PO and the cost of a MO. Applying on-line just gets the info to them quicker (by maybe a day or two) the investigative process is the same. Also, it is not so much the time it takes to actually perform the check as it is the time to get to it with the limited manpower and resources.

What stuns me is that apparently his PD has some transparency in the application process by letting him know when the received the results from the NJSP. The usual stumbling block is the mental health background check - especially if you have lived in more than one county in the last ten years - those records must be searched manually in each county of residence - so the 14 day turnaround for the SP-212A is usually moot as it takes longer than that, in most instances, for the mental health check.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My town is pretty transparent about the process. I believe it's pretty much one clerk who is very nice, and one detective who is also good once you get to know him. The clerk has called me to update me on the status of the application before. Somehow one of my reference letters got lost once, and she called to have him send it again. 

My last set of permits took 14 days start to finish. Dropped it off on a Friday and picked them up the Friday after next. 

Here's the comparison: In August using the 212A, the total time from the electronic transmission to the time I was called to pick up my permit was 5 days!  Trenton approval > municipal PD > they preparing the permit > to telephone call that was ready ... and it was delivered to my house by the officer that does the permits!  And to boot, my neighbor also had his August permit turn around in 5 days too

OK, I'll concede 2 holiday days at Trenton, Election Day & Veterans Day for Investigations to be off from work.  So down to 12 days which is double the previous time period.  But with the 212A approved on November 24th, I'm still waiting for this permit because the dispatcher put my paperwork in the wrong filing cabinet including my paperwork!  Was called tonight and the permit will be on the Chief's desk in the morning. Next application will be face to face with the paperwork transfered from hand to hand to the Officer that is responsible for the FID & firearm requests!

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Re: your 5-day permits - are you aware that you cannot use the permits within 7 days of the application date?

Put up a poll and ask how many people on this forum would trade their application process for yours with the 12 day non-criminal background check.

Bob, you make a point ... Though when I moved and the FID required a change of address - 9 months turnaround.  It took my neighbor 11 months for his FID Change of Address. Then with a reminder that 'within 30 days', the next handgun permit turn around went to 5 days  for both me and my neighbor.  If it can be done in 5 days, that was my benchmark.  And agree with you, 12 days, including a 2 day holiday at Trenton, is reasonable and would have had the handgun in the safe now ... if the dispatcher had put the notification & my paperwork in the correct file.  So ... from now on, face to face and fingers to fingers to preclude the next possible screwup by a dispatcher