Sign in to follow this  
mustang69

VP9 range impressions

I didn't want to hijack the other thread on the H&K VP9 so am starting this one...

I bought one Monday and made it to the range with it today.  For comparison I took a PPQ M2, a CZ P07 and a Glock 19 Gen 4.  Shot 200 rounds combined through all 4.

I spent an hour field stripping the VP9 at home, getting acquainted with it and fitting the grip to my hand.  H&K includes backstraps and grip panels in 3 sizes, so there are enough combinations that I think it could fit almost any hand as long as you like a contoured grip.

At the range, i shot the Glock first, just to have some trigger time, then went to the VP9.  As much as I dislike the Glock trigger, that's how much I like the trigger on the VP9.  It's not S&W revolver crisp, but as close to it in a striker-fired gun I've ever shot.

The comparison between the VP9 and the PPQ is tough because the guns are so much alike.  The differences for me are all subjective. I like the sights and the trigger on the VP9 more than the Walther.  I like the PPQ a lot, just the VP9 more.  The grip on the VP9 is more adjustable than the Walther.  Both the VP9 and the Walther also have right-side controls, but the PPQ M2 requires reversing the mag release (the PPQ M1 wouldn't though).  The slide release on the VP9 and the Walther is on both sides, but it's more integrated on the PPQ.  It seems like an afterthought on the VP9.  The take-down is easier on the VP9.  One thing I found on the VP9 that I really like was the "charge-assist" handles.  these are basically some wings on the slide that make it easier to rack the slide manually.  At first I thought they would get in the way but they don't.  I didn't try, but they look like you could cycle the slide with them against a belt or table top if you needed to do it to clear a jam one-handed.  Not an issue for me at the range but if it were your carry gun it might be a plus. 

If you have a Walther and like it, the VP9 will seem familiar.   If you've never shot one I recommend it.  

The targets below were at 8 yards.  I shot a mag first, then the 6-shot grouping (target 1 below), then three more mags.  I switched to the P07 for 40 rounds, then came back and put the 10 more through the VP9 (target 2 below).  The gun is far more accurate than I am.  I let the RO shoot 5 rounds and he centered them all.

I hadn't considered an H&K in the past because, well, the price point turned me off for no good reason.  With the VP9 priced where it is I couldn't pass it up.

post-5531-0-38647000-1417656434_thumb.jpg

post-5531-0-00731300-1417656442_thumb.jpg