sleepinducer01

Coming back from Afghanistan and warned of ISIS threat to military personnel. Can i obtain a Concealed carry permit??

Hello, 

I have a question which I liked to post on this website. Thank you in advance for your replies.

I am a US Army Officer presently serving in Afghanistan returning to the US in late Jan early Feb 2015. I have been alerted by our command that there is a threat from ISIS. The threat states that ISIS is targeting military personnel and their families on our homeland. Besides taking down anything that might alert people to me serving in the military such as facebook and other social medias, I feel I should be offered the opportunity to protect myself and my family in public if needed. 

I have owned/ operated many weapons in the military since 1986 when I joined the military. I continue to serve the military today as a reservist . I have never had any trouble with the law and have been an outstanding citizen in our community. I am also a volunteer firefighter. I do own a few hanguns that are registered in my name and have my hangun background card issued by the state.

I have spoken to a few friends who say it is impossible to obtain a concealed carry permit in our state and honestly wouldn't try to obtain one but being here in Afghanistan and this recent email concerning ISIS targeting us in the homeland I feel I should be afforded the opportunity to protect myself. 

I see first hand how this group does not care about us and I don't  want anything to happen to me and my family when i get home.

So my question is does anyone think I have a valid reason to obtain this permit and do you think they may grant me one? 

Again thank you very much for your replies, It is appreciated.

Generally speaking, they will issue you a carry permit posthumously. Not before.

Thank you for your service. Get home quickly.

C

Agreed!

You see...You are responsible enough to carry / operate  virtually any life destroying equipment devised on foreign soil but  are NOT responsible enough to carry a handgun in your homeland.

Agreed!

You see...You are responsible enough to carry / operate  virtually any life destroying equipment devised on foreign soil but  are NOT responsible enough to carry a handgun in your homeland.

Unless you move to PA

I say try and when they turn you down take it to court. Bring as much national attenion as possible to NJ's restritive firearm laws. I'm sure there are plenty of people ,not only on this forum but nationally, who would assist you with funds for a legal defense.

Most likely you will be told that there is no threat SPECIFIC to yourself and if you follow the advice given (take down identifying social media, don't wear uniform/identifying clothes when not necessary, don't have military bumper stickers etc) that you SHOULD BE okay.

IN NJ self defense IS NOT a valid reason to be issued a CCW. Recently courts (California & Washington DC I believe) have ruled the opposite. A potential case such you are describing could help change the law.

If you could get a few like minded military friends who believe individuals have the rignt to carry a firearm for self defense you may be able to file a class action lawsuit perhaps. Even retired military and their family are targets, are in danger and could join the suit. Pethaps you'll find some on this or other similiar NJ forums.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Sir I am reading your post and its apparent we are both thinking the same thing. I am a NJ National Guardsmen but I am currently on ADOS orders which require me to wear my uniform. We have all received this email and wondered what would happen if we applied. Well I thought the same thing gleninjersey did. You know what it dosent hurt to try. So when I hae free time im going to apply.

Sounds like a good case for a class action suit.  What better evidence than an imminent threat alert issued by the government as proof of need.  Who will say that vets/ad/reservists are not qualified to carry?  It is an indefensible argument.  20 vets apply the same week, wait for the anticipated rejection, file the law suit as a group. 

I say try and when they turn you down take it to court. Bring as much national attenion as possible to NJ's restritive firearm laws. I'm sure there are plenty of people ,not only on this forum but nationally, who would assist you with funds for a legal defense.

Most likely you will be told that there is no threat SPECIFIC to yourself and if you follow the advice given (take down identifying social media, don't wear uniform/identifying clothes when not necessary, don't have military bumper stickers etc) that you SHOULD BE okay.

IN NJ self defense IS NOT a valid reason to be issued a CCW. Recently courts (California & Washington DC I believe) have ruled the opposite. A potential case such you are describing could help change the law.

If you could get a few like minded military friends who believe individuals have the rignt to carry a firearm for self defense you may be able to file a class action lawsuit perhaps. Even retired military and their family are targets, are in danger and could join the suit. Pethaps you'll find some on this or other similiar NJ forums.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

I would generally agree with this, but, with the threat our soldiers are facing, national publicity is the last thing they need!

Thanks for your service. It is sad to see that even though you have used weapons to defend our country on your missions abroad, the govt is ready to tag returning military as more likely to be a risk to our society with firearms due to the prevalence of PTSD in returnees. So, the fact that you are experienced with weapon use is more likely to held against you than an asset in favor of your argument. I know there are many who have removed the DoD decals from their vehicle windshields. I think that there have been few such incidents reported, so the likelihood of being targeted is fairly remote, but being cautious by removing DoD references from all your social media pages and stickers from your vehicles will minimize random targeting.

Sounds like a good case for a class action suit.  What better evidence than an imminent threat alert issued by the government as proof of need.  Who will say that vets/ad/reservists are not qualified to carry?  It is an indefensible argument.  20 vets apply the same week, wait for the anticipated rejection, file the law suit as a group. 

This would surely get some national media attention.  And then the powers that be would have to argue a way to squirm out of it.  Would certainly make heads spin.  There might be something in their service papers not allowing current or former military to file suit against the government (hope not in this case)?  Hopefully someone tells Homeland Security that these returning vets "aren't the terrorists they're looking for" from the movie Star Wars (remember Janet Napolitano's memo?).  

I guess we're all assuming the OP is from Jersey since he chose to post in this forum, but I re-read his entire post and it only says he's coming back to the US....  So if he lives in Free America he shows his service papers or DD-214 (discharge papers) and gets a shall-issue CCW, since no NRA training is required for proof of competency.

Troy is right, let's keep this on point.  I'll be watchin' :popcorn:

Dave

Hello Dave,

Yes I live in New Jersey. Thak you for all your advice. I think maybe if we can have 20 + servicemen apply at the same time and get rejected. Maybe i would have a chance. Again I wouldnt be asking for a concealed carry permit but with this notification from my command about a direct threat to military personnel in our homeland really concerns me and feel I should be afforded the opportunity to protect myself. Thanks again for your posts. I really appreciate it.

Are you rich as hell? Are you a politician or someone who has a lot of high up friends in the political/justice system? If not, then you will not get one. In NJ only the elite can protect themselves. Progressivism at its finest.

20+ vets in a class action suite like this could be super easy to put together.  Nappan would probably get a big fat chubby over a case like this.  It a pro 2A attorneys dream team of plaintiffs. As far as paying for it.  Man this could be crowd funded, I'm sure if the vets stood up that many many NJ residents would support the case with crowd funding.  A class action, crowd funded lawsuit to defend the 2A rights of vets.  The antis would wet their pants.

This would be an excellent case to bring NJ's laws into the REPUBLICAN controlled congress.  Although I would not jump in first with a class action suit but have as many vets as possible apply and just put "2A right and self defense"  for the reason.    once all applications are soundly and quickly rejected on THOSE grounds than file the class action suit and use the imminent threat from the Muslims for the reason in the suit.    This might even help with a national reciprocity law once the U.S. finds out that nobody can defend themselves in a few states .  One negative outcome might be that once NJ finds out you are a vet they will label you as having PTSD and make you a prohibited person.    But I think this would be as good a case as the Mueller case if not better and the timing is pretty good as well.    

A great idea but it's a lot for us to ask somebody else to do for us when we weren't willing to apply for permits ourselves when the idea was brought up a year ago.

I don't look at it as asking them to do it for us.  What I'm saying is that if they want to do it for themselves, we ( the NJ gun owner community as a whole) will support them through crowd funding and moral support.  A win for them is also a win for everyone.  I bet a group of vets could easily muster 500 grand in donations for a legal fund.  It's not like we'd have to go far to find vets in NJ, many of them are on some gun related forum.  I believe many of them would jump at the chance to be a part of something big like this.

They would take it to court and then win. Outcome would be that ex military would be exempt. Rest of us can go scratch.

I don't think so. While active military are at higher risks there is still danger to their spouses. Veterans are at risks as well. In reality anyone who publicly supports the military is at an increased risk.

Challenging the law in this manner would furrher weaken the "immediate and justifiable need" NJ requires. Several courts have ruled that self defense IS a valid reason to apply for CCW. NJ is already at odds with several courts on this issue. Now is exactly the the time for somethimg like this.

My $0.02 is that if you want to go to court, wives/husbands should be applying and getting rejected as well. Taking away a spouse and the right to protect yourself and your kids?

I honestly don't think it will help, but they'll probably buy some plaintiffs off with permits.

Thank you all very much for your responses and advice. It is appreciated. I will be back from Afghanistan end of Jan early Feb. No I am not rich as hell, nor a politician, or know lots of politicians.  LOL.. I am an ordinary man with 4 children trying to make a living an serving our country on the side.  I will apply for my license to carry concealed. It sounds like they will reject my application from what everyone is saying. I kinda like the ideal of many veterans trying to apply all at once. There is a valid threat to us servicemembers and our families from ISIS. This concerns me. I wished  NJ wasn't so stringent on the concealed carry permits. All I want to do is protect myself and my family from these terrorist groups.I dont think its alot to ask. I truly think this is a valid reason to request this permit.

Again thank you for all your replies. It is appreciated

If your seroius about pursuing it, I would recommend starting to talk to some of your soldier friends who also live in NJ. See if you can get at least one other person to apply with you.

If it were to go to court I'm sure you have plenty of support financially. Good luck, be careful over there and keep us posted.

I'd also reach out to Scott Bach/Evan Nappan to see if this is the kind of case they've been waiting for.    It certainly seems to have a lot of potential!