greatgroverino

Experience with HK VP9

Was browsing on Black Friday and guy at Ramsey Outdoor recommended the Heckler & Koch VP9.  Felt awesome.  Went home and did some research on this 9mm.  Have fired other HK's but not this one.  Wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to use (or better yet own) one of these and get your thoughts please...thanks.

Very nice. And a really nice trigger too. Not quite as good and light as the Walther PPQ, but to me that is a good thing. The PPQ has a scary light trigger. I unintentionally doubled that gun accidentally a few times. Could've been a loose grip combined with a super short reset, but the Walther would not be my choice for a carry gun. The VP9 is better in that regard, IMO. 

I agree with several of the posts already, which is the reason I went and bought one for myself after firing my friends. It was tough to pass up the phenomenal Blue Label deal on the Glock, but I wasn't crazy about the feel of the grip on Glock, and everyone I know said saving $200 for something you plan on defending your life with was not worth it. The guy behind the counter (much larger than me) said he preferred the Glock because the H & K didn't fit his hand right, so it seems like some of the larger handed people don't like the grip as much. I fired the HK side by side with the 17, 19, and M&P9 over in Easton, and the trigger on the HK seemed to be from a different world than those others.

I agree with several of the posts already, which is the reason I went and bought one for myself after firing my friends. It was tough to pass up the phenomenal Blue Label deal on the Glock, but I wasn't crazy about the feel of the grip on Glock, and everyone I know said saving $200 for something you plan on defending your life with was not worth it. The guy behind the counter (much larger than me) said he preferred the Glock because the H & K didn't fit his hand right, so it seems like some of the larger handed people don't like the grip as much. I fired the HK side by side with the 17, 19, and M&P9 over in Easton, and the trigger on the HK seemed to be from a different world than those others.

He probably never took the time to try out the different size grip inserts. The gun comes with all medium inserts installed. From there you can go bigger or smaller, or mix and match. 

On my P30 (basically the same grip), I used the medium backstrap panel, large left panel, and small right panel to be comfortable AND get my finger in the right spot when the trigger breaks (i.e. on the pad and not quite at the joint).

i highly recommend the VP9 .. i got mine from Otto's(non-LE) in early September and use it for USPSA prod. division. I like everything about it ..charging tabs are helpful and not an obstruction in any way. Sights are pretty nice out of the box. I thought i may have an issue with the trigger guard paddle mag release , turns out it's easier doing reloads on the move and actually forces your trigger finger out of the guard. Some complain of finger pain from the trigger? i don't have that issue.  mags are easy to find since it takes the p30 mags and they are everywhere.  holster was another issue, but finally found the Safariland 5197 works great.  just needs a little filing where it hits the mag release on the trigger guard and you are good to go .... i am unclassified , but feel like this gun bumped me up a bit .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/810815/safariland-5197-mid-ride-belt-loop-holster-with-detent-glock-20-21-30s-polymer-black

My VP9 is my first handgun purchase after reading all the great reviews and finally renting one at RTSP.

I haven't squeezed many triggers in my limited experience but the VP9 spoils me. 

If I don't overthink it, I get nice small groups at 10 yds.

Like HK's so much I picked up an HK45 so I can experience the DA/SA.

I don't know about the small grip but I have large hands and even have a hogue grip sock on my USP45 which has a large grip to start with and the medium grip inserts on the VP9 fit my hand perfectly.  But as has been stated earlier, you can easily mix and match all the available grip inserts to find what fits you best.

I've been thinking of getting one ever since I picked one up at the counter at RTSP one day.  It just feels great in my hand, if it shoots even close to that I will have to get one.

I ended up getting one, its amazing. 

I suggest popping out the roll pin, and firing 20 rounds each at various distances with the different backstrap sizes until you find the combination you shoot best with. 

My experience has been, what feels best just holding it, doesn't necessarily translate into what you shoot best with.

At 45 feet it can make all the holes touch. Simply an awesome gun. 1600 rounds so far and not a single FTF or FTE.

My only gripe with the VP9 is the cheap feeling right side controls. HK has been one of the most lefty friendly firearms makers for us southpaws. Unfortunately, the right side slide release on the VP9 is very thin and cheap feeling, and it has a very small ledge for your thumb to activate it. I much prefer the controls on my P30 and P30L. I will say that the VP9 is a hell of a shooter, with a very low learning curve.  I do know that HK is focusing specifically on mass producing the VP9. I don't know if that has to do with their precarious financials, or because they know they created a real winning handgun. Either way, P30/VP9 magazines (especially the 10 rounders) are currently made of unobtainium. Because of hoarding and HK allocating new mags to new VP9's, they are hard to get. My recommendation would be to buy the Law Enforcement version. You get 3 mags and decent night sights for $100 more. Considering that the magazines are selling for $60 now, it is a steal. I sure hope there is a price drop in the near future.

I love the CZ pistols too, so you wouldn't go wrong with one of them either.